Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Universe Streaming Service launches in August

The announcement with details is now out.

Here is the CBR coverage, sure to be plenty more from other outlets to come.

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited June 2018
    Seems the comics available will be a 'rotating, curated collection', which is different from the MU approach that, once it is added, it stays added.

No word on price yet that I can see.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I signed up for the Beta, but no word whether I get to actual test it or not.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Word is the beta launches in August and full release in the fall.

I was disappointed because they hyped up this "big announcement" and the big announcement was not an announcement. One still photo of Robin and a non release date is not an announcement.

Nevertheless, I'll almost definitely be getting this. I hope they have a good number of comics included.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Confirmation that they will be dropping movies, animation, and cartoons - plus comics. And announcing a beta period. Far more info than we previously had. I'll take it. :)
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Only available in the US. So no luck for me. Sounded good though, hopefully it comes over here soon.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    I am interested. I've been a big fan of Marvel Unlimited for years. If DC can do the same thing PLUS add in movies and tv show, that would be amazing.
  • Options
    @bats00 This sounds like the opposite sort of service, with movies and TV shows being at the center and comics being more of an add-on. That's why they have been non-specific about the quantity of comics the service will have. Instead they have highlighted which specific comics it will include, like the first Action Comics and other landmark comics. They are calling it a curated list.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I did see, and I forget if this was in the press release, or in one of the embedded post ads I have seen since, a mention of "thousands" of comics. So hopefully that is true, and represents a big catalog. We'll see.
  • Options
    That's encouraging. Hopefully that includes plenty of complete runs.

I can sort of understand having a smaller comics catalog since they still make much of their money on collections and trades.

But on the tv/movies side there is little reason not to have basically everything older than, I don't know, a year? It will be pretty disappointing if older DCAU titles are either not there, or have a habit of coming and going like they do on the other streaming service. I'm basically buying this thing so that I can watch any old DC movie/show, any time I want.

Also interesting will be what happens with the CW shows (I didn't notice them in the announcements). Part of me feels like all of the show announcements is Warner's way of drifting away from The CW being the "DC channel" and instead using this service, where they'll have more control, can put out more adult content, etc.