Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1702 Talkback - June 2018 Previews

We're late, but we're still here! It's a two-man Previews as Shane and Chris go through the June 2018 catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in August. (1:48:12)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Hogarth and Gillray are the guys who kicked off the whole satirical cartoon thing. They existed prior to them, but they are the biggest influences going forward from them.

Gillray is the one who took it to a form we'd still recognise today.

• Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    Ed Piskor.. so at heroes con 2 weeks ago (hey Murd, was great to see you if only for a moment, it's been way too long) I had the pleasure of attending the Jack Kirby 101 panel which was absolutely riveting (slide show from early life on through, stuff i never knew and some excellent candid pics- all put together by the folks from the kirby museum).. I am in AWE of that man's productivity and impact on the arts. But anyway , Chris was talking about grand designs on the podcast , and I agree it is fantastic. I never met Piskor before(wouldn't have recognized him on the street) and he was on that panel.. along with the gentleman that publishes tomorrows and Kirby's best inker .. Mike Royer .. he had some great stories .. And then in the dim corner of the table was Ed.. with shades and a redsox hat pulled down lowww.. looked like a rapper .. And i'm just like who is this quiet semi gangster looking fella ? How can he possibly wax poetic about Kirby? It was just so incongruous to the rest of the folks on the panel. And then he starts talking about grand designs and how recoloring the work he got to enlarge it and view every line, every slash, every pixel.. Then he just blows me away with how much he knows about Kirby , and art in general (i'm an artist so this was my wheelhouse) .. i was fascinated .. But the one thing i remember specifically is that Ed said .. Kirby was the first to charge over the hill and took all the arrows for the rest of them. He laid all the track so guys like Ed could just roll over it. I don't know why but this stuck with me .. Ed was really awesome up there talking about graffiti and Kirby's influence on it -and even more so , Royer's, (sitting right next to him ) whom Ed just praised on and on beautifully up there, saying how much Mike was a legend as well. Just things - a perspective (street art)- i never hear about in reference to Jack or Mike.. long story longer, I immediately googled ed and found out about the hip hop family tree comic and of course grand designs.. It really gave me a heart warming feeling seeing this hip hop looking guy up there poetically and wonderfully discussing the king. I wish i had a chance to find him later and just tell him thanks for a great panel - usually these types of panels can get boring..but damn, Ed made it wonderful and surprising for me.
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    Phew! Thanks for posting this "under the wire"! But Pants is on sabbatical?! Who authorized that?! What's next? The planet will stop rotating on its axis?! We'll miss you every day, Pants!
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    Nevertheless, why am I glad that this episode was released just in time? As usual, after listening to it, my DCBS order was increased by $29.27!! I sure hope DCBS knows how much money they make thanks to their sponsorship of CGS's Previews episodes!
  • Options
    VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    Glad to have the show back. Mr. Eberle, I couldn't agree more with your take on Beneath the Planet of the Apes having just watched the 4 sequels to the original Planet about 2 months ago. Let's see any sequel to an immensely popular film try getting away with that ending these days!

Although all the sequels vary in quality and none of them hit the heights of the original, I have to give credit to the screenwriter for episodes 2-5, Paul Dehn, who, though no Rod Serling (but then again who is?), never seemed interested in repeating himself (each film feels like a progression and a new chapter in a longer book) and came up with an ingenious way to connect all the films.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Are the remakes worth watching? I've only seen the first and disliked it so I never saw the others. From the trailers it feels like they want to be another action/adventure franchise but that's not what Planet of the Apes is about.
  • Options
    CHRIS. Robotech. All 85 episodes on NETFLIX. Magniconte!
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Pants may be on a sabbatical, but that doesn't mean we don't need an update from Senior Capri every once in a while.
  • Options
    VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    Mphil, I was ready to strongly recommend the first 2 remakes (I thought they both provided some wonderful social commentary), but if you didn't like the first film, I'd say don't bother. Each film increases the action, but for me, only the third one was just too blunt and heavy-handed in its themes and subtext: good guys and bad guys and very little shades of gray. I thought the first 2 were fantastic (for me the second one did a wonderful job of showing how movements and wars are fomented by agitating individuals who are reacting to previous crimes committed against them - on both sides), but that's just me.

Also, a lot of people loved the third film, so I think I'm an outlier on that one.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Age of Bronze is fantastic. I just wish Shanower would get around to finishing it sometime.

Re: Butch Guice, the “u” in Guice is silent. It’s just a hard G and “ice”.

Re: DLR vs. Hagar, it’s no contest for me. Van Halen with Roth was pretty great. Van Halen after Roth was pretty lame. Yeah, Hagar is a technically better singer, but Roth is a much better entertainer.

Banana Sunday is a really cute, funny book. It’s fairly early work from Coover, but she was already really good by that point. Good stuff.

@wildpigcomics, to your point about the Big Two’s penchant for relaunches vs. self-contained creator-owned books, I think what’s going on at Marvel now is much more like the creator-owned approach than what DC is doing. Whereas at DC each recent relaunch had had a strong editorial voice, and not a lot of variation in art styles and tone throughout the line, at Marvel the relaunched books often go in very different directions. You often get very different takes on the characters (relatively speaking)—see Cosmic Ghost Rider, for instance—and funny, cartoonier books like Squirrel Girl happening in the same universe at the same time as darker books like Old Man Logan. So I can see why it would drive continuity-focused readers crazy. For me, I'm fine with it, because it’s tailor-made for great creators who are also busy with their own projects to come in for a short run (or for writers, a longer run) and do their own thing (again, relatively speaking). I'm just looking for cool, well told stories, and since I don’t really bother to keep up with continuity that closely at either Marvel or DC these days, I tend to just think of each story/run/relaunch as its own thing. Call it an Elseworlds (or What If...? if you prefer) story if you want. But that’s probably just me.