Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Question for star wars fans who had little interest in seeing Solo before you heard any reviews

Given the fact that Solo has pretty definitively underwhelmed at the box office (despite featuring arguably the franchises most popular character), there's been a lot of conjecture as to why. The most popular explanations have been "Star Wars fatigue" or the polarizing effect of The Last Jedi or a combination of the 2. There's no judgment implied here, just my attempt at an informal poll just for curiosity's sake: if you had little interest in seeing Solo before you heard any reviews: why not? Are fans "fatigued"? Did Last Jedi turn you off? Rogue One? All 3? Just not into spin offs? Something else?

Comments

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    I was really excited for a Lord & Miller Star Wars film, for all the reasons that got them kicked off the film.

So once they were out, so was I.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Brack said:

I was really excited for a Lord & Miller Star Wars film, for all the reasons that got them kicked off the film.

What were the specifics? I’ve only read the corporate line “creative differences”.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Matt said:

Brack said:

What were the specifics? I’ve only read the corporate line “creative differences”.
    Reportedly for improvising dialogue and making it too comedic. Which raised the ire of Lawrence Kasdan, who wanted everything done exactly as in his script. Why they hired them in the first place if they didn't want a comedy, I don't know?

This is very much the flip of Ant Man where the meticulous Edgar Wright got replaced by the improv-friendly Peyton Reed and had the script rewritten by arguably the key figure of this form of comedic film-making, Adam McKay (i.e. do a scripted take, then do repeated improvised takes building off that).