Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Any thoughts on Batman 51? Spoilers!

I liked the issue, especially the new(?) idea (if there's been a story about Bruce in jury duty before, I've never seen it). I did have a couple of things I didn't like though since they make my standard suspension of disbelief more difficult:

1. When Gordon immediately recognizes that Dick is not the usual Batman (before Dick says a word), it only serves to highlight the fact that Gordon should have figured out Bruce is Batman after all these years. Even if Dick is a little shorter than Bruce it seems like this would've been taken into account when Bruce asks Dick to pose as him. Bats takes everything into account everywhere else.

2. Showing us what would happen on a case involving a criminal Batman has brought in and showing us lawyers questioning Batmans standing (I.e. Inserting a lot of "reality" into a comic) only highlights the fact that many of the criminals brought in by Batman would go free. A lot of Batman's "work" involves him doing unlicensed detective/scientific work and beating criminals unconscious in eyewitness-free zones and as far as I know Bats is never in court to explain his side of the story.

3. It seems implausible that the defense attorneys would have allowed jurors who've been saved by, or had close relatives saved by, Batman on the jury. Again I wouldn't have thought of this so quickly if King hadn't shown us attorneys picking the jury.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Bruce Wayne first served jury duty (I'm pretty sure) way back in Batman #11 (June 1942), in a story titled “Bandits in Toyland”.

I’ve always been of the opinion that the more “realistically” the superhero world is portrayed, the harder it becomes to maintain a suspension of disbelief. But the Lee Weeks artwork makes up for that.
  • Options
    VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    Your encyclopedic knowledge of comics history is as impressive as ever, @nweathington. I just recently realized that you must be the guy the CGS group refers to sometimes when they say someone on the forums may be able to clarify. Do you work for Twomorrows? If so, I love your company! Looking forward to the DC Implosion book! Been waiting for it for months since I saw it advertised on the site sometime ago.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Yeah, that's me. The Implosion book is in stock at our website now, and should be in stores soon. Maybe this week (haven't checked Diamond's shipping list yet).

And really all I did was a quick Google search re: the jury duty thing. Had to satisfy my curiosity.
  • Options
    VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    Picked up the Implosion book at my local shop yesterday so it should be in stores now.