Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Captain Marvel (Spoilers. Seen it? Discuss it here!)

Getting this ready for tonight/ tomorrow, etc.

Have at it!

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I have to re-read the Kree/Skrull War again. I thought the Skrull were the villains. And is it only Super-Skrull that’s connected to the FF property?

I didn’t care for the Mar-Vell/Dr. W. Lawson tweak. I’d rather they just followed Danvers revised origin, kept ‘Walter Lawson’, or just drop that altogether.

• MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited March 2019
    Liked the movie I'd give like a 7 out of 10. I thought that Brie Larson did a very good job, I really liked the memory plot line, sorta echos the comic storyline of when Rogue took her powers and memories.

I liked the twist with the Skulls and Kree. I'm a little disappointed with what they did with Mar-Vell. I'm not sure how I felt about Fury? Yes he was funny, but at the same time he kinda came off as a weenie imo. And I thought a lot of the jokes and moments were to on the nose at points.

But ultimately I did like it, one of the better first movies. But I have to say I liked Aquaman more.
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    I agree with Matt about the Skrulls and Dr. Lawson

Their was no need to change the gender of Mar-vell

I really did not like how they tried to make the Skrulls sympathetic to the audience. I would have preferred that they kept them the same as in the comics.

Also I felt Brie Larson performance was a bit uneven. She was not bad, I just felt it could have been better.

Lastly when Captain Marvel got her full power I would have like to seen her be a little more surprised by the extent of her new power levels. Maybe get shot by a Kree and be amazed it did not effect her as much as it would have before her upgrade.

These are all minor nit picks, I really enjoyed the movie and will gladly pay to add this movie to my Blu ray collection.

• VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    I'm guessing I'm in the minority on this one but I absolutely loved it. I thought she was the most layered and 3-dimensional hero we've seen so far. She was not a character you could describe as mostly one thing like you could with Tony Stark or Steve Rogers or Black Panther. She was impulsive but also rigid, a badass but also kind, tough but playful, a follower and then a leader (and not the usual reluctant one we often see). Larsson's performance blew me away. She seemed different from the previous characters in a way not all of them do (for example, the way they completely changed dr. Strange and gave him Tony Stark's personality - Bendis had inched towards that - mostly bc he tends to make every character jokey - and then it was fully realized by Aaron once the film was coming out). By the end she seemed, for lack of better words, like someone who's more of a "hard laugh" than the others.

I knew the skulls were going to be sympathetic the minute they were portrayed as refugee-like so that twist didnt bother me or surprise me. I did find it unpredictable in terms of where Jude Law's allegiances would ultimately lie. For awhile I kind of expected him to die in a sacrifice prompting Carol to greatness. I also found the scenes of female empowerment much more moving than in Wonder Woman. For me Carol was more character than symbol unlike Wonder Woman, Cap or Black Panther. Those can be fun too but I prefer more relatable characters.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited March 2019

I’m probably on the opposite end of the spectrum on nearly everything. I thought Jude Law’s heel turn was easy to figure out from the trailers. The Skrulls as sympathetic characters took a lot of getting use to, seeing as they have been just a guilty of warring as the Kree (& Shi’ar).

This movie reminded me of why the trailer for the Supergirl tv series turned me off. I thought Wonder Woman did a better job of illustrating women empowerment (which became what that movie represented, unlike this movie trying to be).

I also thought Larson was stiff in the role at times. I have this feeling her character will be presented better in Endgame.

• VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    Fair enough. Different strokes. It's interesting you mention the Supergirl trailer bc I used to love the tv show. Although at some point in season 3 (I think) I found it became unwatchable - too preachy.