Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Blackest night

Hi guys first of sorry go asking a question that is probably going to sound a bit...dare i say it...noobish!
Anyway! I'm a 5year marvel fan and recently decided to give DC a try to and so far I'm not regretting the decision one bit! I saw a synopsis about blackest night and was sold as soon as I read superhero and Zombies!
However, I read the first couple of pages and got the feeling it wasn't the best place to start so could anyone reccomend a couple of trades that would be worth reading before it? Particularly as batman seems to be dead in blackest night and I'm not sure how that happened!
Thanks guys I really appreciate any help!
P.s my girlfriend loves drunk cap!

Best Answer

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Answer ✓
    Whoo...where to begin with Green Lantern...

Some will say start with Rebirth, while others are going to say to truly get Rebirth you'll need to start with Zero Hour or Final Night, but to really get those you're going to have to go back to Emerald Twilight, and really that has origins in the Return of the Supermen which comes out of the Death of Superman and Funeral for a Friend arcs...

I'd say start with Rebirth so you have Hal at his new beginnings. Definitely get some Sinestro Corps Wars in there so you have an idea about all these new lanterns running around. Then jump into Blackest Night.

Answers

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Okay @Derrold,

I'd agree with @Torchsong about starting with Green Lantern but not at Rebirth. I started reading GL afte about 10 years as a happy Marvel Zombie but my first GL book was the Sinestro Corps War. Lot of action and impressive art with the sense that it is building on a lot. From there I went back and started at Rebirth, got all the other trades and read them in order. I'd not jump into Blackest Night because it uses a lot of the recent GL continutity and requires a bit of normal DCU continuity. I don't think that Sinestro Corps War suffers the same problem as you have the Sinestro Corps and the Green Lantern Corps and that is all you need to know. It will also make you curious about other things going on because you'll want to search out details of all the characters and corps appearing in that series.

Plus, you can get both volumes in trade or you can splash out for the Absolute, which I am now buying. The Absolute will really do Sinestro Corps War justice, especially on all those splash pages with a million (I exagerate) members or each corps, where I don't think it was really justified for the Rebirth Absolute.
  • Options
    DerroldDerrold Posts: 11
    Awesome thanks :) I will def add those to my collection! Sorry to harp on about this part but which book has the batman dying story (if any!) as I'm assuming it would be kinda cool!
  • Options
    Awesome thanks :) I will def add those to my collection! Sorry to harp on about this part but which book has the batman dying story (if any!) as I'm assuming it would be kinda cool!
    That willl be Final Crisis but that is a heavy duty Morrison read and would probably do you better to read Infinite Crisis before that. I think it depends heavily on a fair chunk of preexisting DCU knowledge in reader. I'd stick with Sinestro Corps War to start with and then branch out from there.
  • Options
    Brilliant thanks dude :) my dc knowledge isn't great but I will give infinite crisis a go aswell (civil war really got me properly into marvel so a nice event should do the trick for DC too!) amazon is going to love me this week!
  • Options
    choanatachoanata Posts: 9
    I'll throw in some advice as well. You can start at Sinestro Corp War, but if you want to appreciate the whole thing, start at Rebirth. Johns was planting seeds for Blackest Night ever since Rebirth and the first few issues in the main series, so the payoff is that much better when you've read it all.

As for the Batman thing, yeah, it's near the end of Final Crisis, sort of. It's best to just accept it as something that happened, and then after you read Blackest Night ask someone to explain what actually happened to him. Knowing the full story there doesn't add anything to Blackest Night, in fact it may actually detract from it.
  • Options
    If your going to read infinite crisis, you should read crisis on infinite earths
    You should also read the pre-infinite crisis series, starting with identity crisis, going to omacproject, day of vengence, and rann-thanagar war
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited May 2012
    If your going to read infinite crisis, you should read crisis on infinite earths
    You should also read the pre-infinite crisis series, starting with identity crisis, going to omacproject, day of vengence, and rann-thanagar war
    I hate that slippery slope, once you get started.

I had this problem with when I started my girlfriend on comics. I knew what was good, but didn't know where to start, and what to do first.

I did Sinestro Corps War first. She loved it.

(Then I did Planet Hulk. A smashing success. This has nothing to do with DC, I was still introducing her to comics characters)

Finally, there was Crisis on Infinite Earths, which she not only understood, but caught htings I never noticed.

We're currently on Manga, but in the back of my head, I'm wondering how I;m going to introduce Infinite Crisis to her. I'm tempted to just do the main mini, as I feel the extra ones would be too much.

• Options
    choanatachoanata Posts: 9
    Infinite Crisis, Crisis on Infinite Earths and all those minis are not necessary for reading Green Lantern though.
  • Options
    T2GunnzT2Gunnz Posts: 14
    Derrold your standing on a slippery slope your doing exactly what i did a year and a half ago Blackest night pulled me into DC. Now I'm knees deep in DC history to try to make all the crises make sense. I love DC but it's very steeped in history.
  • Options
    Yeah i think i'm already sliding down the slope on my ass! But at the same time its kinda exciting to have a whole new avenue of comics opening! thank you everyone for your advice, it has all been a great help and after dropping AvX i have more spare money for the new 52!
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Just read everything. Go back to (the original) Action Comics #1 and start from there.