Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1760 Talkback - Comic Talk

Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
It's the first Comic Talk of the 2020s, and the Geeks have double-stuffed it with tantalizing topics from a myriad of media! Comic talk, TV talk, streaming series talk, movie talk, toy talk, Christmas presents, trivia, news and gossip: you name it, it's probably no more than three degrees removed from something discussed in this fabulous format-free fiesta! (1:44:34)

Listen here.

Comments

• KoenKoen Posts: 11
    I couldn't resist buying the first Monstress-TPB's after hearing all the praise.
  • DmanDman Posts: 163
    Hey my CGS family! I really appreciated the Star Trek: Discovery talk. I have a really like/hate thing with this show. I'm only 2 episodes away from finishing the first season and will watch the second season premier to determine whether I'm going to bother with it or not. There have been some highlights for me but also a couple of things that really bother the F out of me.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:
    Highlights: You can never go wrong with the Mirror Universe in any Star Trek show. The Captain Lorca twist was AWESOME and yet when you think back pre-twist, it makes perfect sense. The return of Michelle Yeoh, an actress I absolutely adore, was excellent. She's very good at playing evil.

Now for the non-highlights. I don't appreciate the technology anachronism and the look of the Klingons. Being loyal to canon doesn't mean you'll be boxed in and can't write good stories. The writers for Star Trek Picard don't seem to have that problem. The post-TNG spinoffs, DS9 and Voyager didn't have that issue. Is it canon that's the problem or are the writers just not good enough?

There were 2 simple explanations that could've been given. One, Discovery could've taken place in the Kelvin universe. Maybe there were some legalities involved but that would've explained the tech and the look of the Klingons, which in Discovery looked very similar to what we saw in Star Trek Into Darkness. Second, Discovery could've taken place in the same timeline as Picard, 18 years after Star Trek Nemesis. Yet, the show runners decide to pee on our leg and call it rain by saying that Discovery is canon. Maybe the second season with Capt. Pike's Enterprise will clear it up but it's annoying all the same because it didn't have to be.

My biggest issue! So, we now have an actual LGBTQ+ couple as regular characters in a Star Trek show and of all the people Ash/Voq had to kill, it had to be one half of that couple, who happened to be played by one of my favorite actors. That was bad enough but to rub salt in the wound, they kept showing this character's death by neck break over and over through the 'previously on Discovery' scenes. Neck breaks are my least favorite way to watch someone die and this shouldn't had been the character to suffer that.

Again, there have been some moments of this show I’ve enjoyed but it’s also quite annoying. I don’t have that issue with Star Trek Picard at all but then again, I’ve been wanting a show back in that ST time frame for a long time now. I was over the pre-Kirk stuff with Star Trek: Enterprise. My rant is done, for now.
  • Dman,

Watch season Two of Discovery and tell me what you think. The darker tone of season one becomes a more hopeful one in two with Pike at the helm. The advance tech like hologram transmissions and the lack of in TOS is explained along with the lack of mention of Burnham and Discovery (although you might argue on how they executed it). The Klingon look isn't cleared up but one might conclude Ash's look is one of many or only one house of the empire. The relationship between Stamets and Hugh is not finished. Discovery takes place before TOS but after the events seen in The Cage. You will probably want a Captain Pike series by the end of the season. I liked it better than season one.
  • DmanDman Posts: 163

Dman,

Watch season Two of Discovery and tell me what you think. The darker tone of season one becomes a more hopeful one in two with Pike at the helm. The advance tech like hologram transmissions and the lack of in TOS is explained along with the lack of mention of Burnham and Discovery (although you might argue on how they executed it). The Klingon look isn't cleared up but one might conclude Ash's look is one of many or only one house of the empire. The relationship between Stamets and Hugh is not finished. Discovery takes place before TOS but after the events seen in The Cage. You will probably want a Captain Pike series by the end of the season. I liked it better than season one.

sharkjumper2, I appreciate this. I've heard from a few others that season 2 is much better and I'm very happy to hear that there's still some story with Stamets and Hugh left. That really bothered me. I'm a lifelong Trekkie and I really want to like this show. Thanks!