Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1771 Talkback - Galaxy Quest Retro Movie Review

Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
edited August 2020 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Get ready for a Retro Movie Review of Galaxy Quest, the stirringly satirical saga of a handful of has-been actors who, thanks to a race of naive aliens, get a chance to be the outer-space heroes they used to play on TV! The Geeks declare their varying degrees of devotion to this 1999 cult classic, thought by many to be the greatest (or at least the funniest) non-Star-Trek Star Trek movie ever made! By Grabthar's Hammer, you will be entertained! (1:17:09)

Listen here--Never surrender!

Comments

• Options
    Dan_in_WIDan_in_WI Posts: 38
    Were you aware that in 2015 IDW did a four issue mini series continuing the story. I don't remember much but I do remember enjoying it.

Murd,
    I know you enjoy your VHS, but by not watching the DVD you missed quit the little menu screen extra regarding the Omega 13. If you select it before you watch the movie it stops you telling you that would be a spoiler. If you select it after watching the film it will roll the menu screen animation back 13 seconds. It was cute.
  • Options
    Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
    Dan_in_WI said:

Murd,
    I know you enjoy your VHS, but by not watching the DVD you missed quite the little menu screen extra regarding the Omega 13. If you select it before you watch the movie it stops you telling you that would be a spoiler. If you select it after watching the film it will roll the menu screen animation back 13 seconds. It was cute.

Yeah, that sounds like a neat gimmick, and I'm sorry I missed it. What bothers me more about my VHS copy of Galaxy Quest, though, is that it's CENSORED--the stronger curse-words are dubbed over! I don't think I've ever encountered that in a home-video release of a movie.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

What bothers me more about my VHS copy of Galaxy Quest, though, is that it's CENSORED--the stronger curse-words are dubbed over! I don't think I've ever encountered that in a home-video release of a movie.

There were a bunch of companies in the late ’90s to mid-’00s (Sunshine Family Video, CleanFlicks) that would buy tapes and/or DVDs from the studios, edit them, and then sell the edited versions. They’ve all been sued out of existence (by studios and directors) now, though a 2005 law allows for media players to censor films "on the fly" (basically bleeping or blacking out objectionable material as it is played, rather than playing a hard copy of an edited movie). A couple of years ago Sony tried to do their own Clean Version releases. That ended pretty quickly when the directors vehemently objected.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited May 2020

Dan_in_WI said:

Murd,
    I know you enjoy your VHS, but by not watching the DVD you missed quite the little menu screen extra regarding the Omega 13. If you select it before you watch the movie it stops you telling you that would be a spoiler. If you select it after watching the film it will roll the menu screen animation back 13 seconds. It was cute.

Yeah, that sounds like a neat gimmick, and I'm sorry I missed it. What bothers me more about my VHS copy of Galaxy Quest, though, is that it's CENSORED--the stronger curse-words are dubbed over! I don't think I've ever encountered that in a home-video release of a movie.

That's not just your VHS copy, @Adam_Murdough. As was pointed out in the documentary, the studio demanded curses be cut out so that they could have it be a PG rated movie, so they overdubbed a few lines before it was released.