Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Falcon and Winter Soldier - Now with episode 5 spoilers

First episode was most enjoyable from my perspective. Will keep it spoiler free for the moment but really dig the deep cuts to some things from my favorite era of Captain America.

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Until it’s spoil time, I will only reply that I agree.

• BrackBrack Posts: 868

Enjoyed the first episode, but it is super weird seeing so much Gruenwald Cap era stuff on the screen without a Steve Rogers for it to reflect off of.

Of course, come Loki, we're getting Owen Wilson AS Mark Gruenwald (or at least Walt Simonson's character based on him, Mobius M. Mobius.)

I think they're in danger of falling into a comic writer's trap of trying to examine a very comic book idea like the Blip with too much detail, both here and in Wandavision (and probably in Hawkeye and Armor Wars too).

They risk making their shared universe strain its credulity in a way that Far From Home's light touch treatment didn't.

I suspect, much like Gruenwald's comic run, both ends of the political spectrum presented as threats in episode 1 are being manipulated by the same person (the major cast member not seen in episode 1). Which is predictable Hollywood studio horseshoe theory nonsense.

But having just read 1982's Captain America #275, it isn't likely to be the most ridiculously centrist thing related to Captain America I'll see this year.

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

So, what do we think is reasonable spoiler time? Open Ep 1 up after Ep 2 drops?

I believe the accepted spoiler lid period is 5 years.

• BrackBrack Posts: 868

Episode 2 was excellent. An unbelievable amount of comics lore and characters added to the MCU in this episode, when compared to Wandavision's cute little comic easter eggs that would go nowhere.

When I heard some of the themes that were going to be used for the series, I was getting hesitant about the show. The reality is, spoon fed, head bashing messages turn people off then cause food for thought. I think both Marvel & DC have experienced this of late. Then, you’re only preaching to the choir.

I’m digging how social messages are being conveyed so far. They’re clearly there, but very well delivered to not be the Craft: Legacy.

Since I saw Cle Bennet in The Man in the High Castle, I thought he’d be perfect for a role in the MCU. I’m glad they gave him an actual part & not just ‘some general’ type of role. Digging his suit...and I like Bucky’s response to his replacement.

Theres more to comment on, but it’s still early on episode 2 release day.

Back to Ep 1:

Redwing: Loved that they brought "him" into it. Modern drone take is just right.

Based on Bucky's stated age, we've made a time jump forward and this looks to be about 2024.

Think I may have a bit of a hard time reconciling Dud from Lodge 49 with John Walker, but I'll give it a go.

Digging the MCU take on the Captain/USAgent costume.

Power Broker is watching shows up in the graphic montage during the credits - totally makes sense given the era that they've mined for lore and John Walker.

IIRC, Walker was trained in the shield by TaskMaster. Wondering if he'll make an appearance or if they will save that for something post Black Widow.

Initially thought that the Flagsmasher logo was just a bloody handprint. On further review, it appears to have the globe symbol that originally showed up on his belt in the comics on top of the hand print.

I feel like they missed the tell in the first episode - they guy that curbstomped Torres is definitely enhanced, but it looks to me like the two others that ran out and grabbed the bags from him should have been to to not react to the mass of the bags in the handoff. Could have been a special effect fail, but confident that it's not just one super.

Zemo. Glad he’s back & being used.

Too bad Rumlow is dead.

edited April 2021

Back to Ep. 2

Liked this one quite a bit.

The montage of John Walker Cap with the shield makes me recall that he was trained in the shield by Taskmaster. Wondering if there's footage that didn't make it to the screen due to the rescheduling of Black Widow.

I think I like the casting choice of Wyatt Russell for John Walker. Having a bit of difficulty separating him from Lodge 49's Dud but still, he seems like a good choice. Even more stunned now that it's been brought to my attention that he's the son of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn.

Battlestar! Love that they incorporated him as well!

Fantastic seeing that they worked Isaiah Bradley into it and casting Carl Lumbly! Love it!

So Karli IS Flagsmasher - his name was Karl Morganthau.

Fight on the truck was cool, but likely would be more cool were it not right on the back of a similar fight in Mandalorian.

ZEMO!

Another solid episode and it looks like it may lead to interesting things related to the initial "slow" arc.

Any guesses on the surprise cameo in the next episode?

My guess is William Hurt/Ross. I think we’ll see him assembling a Thunderbolts roster. If the Avengers can’t be controlled, then why not create a super team that can be controlled? I think that’s why Black Widow was supposed to be released before this series. And I think we’ll see Ross similar to Fury, assembling his team over the course of (mostly the) Disney+ shows.

Back to Episode 3:

I continue to like the show more and more. Zemo escape was solid. The coat and mask were maybe a little too happenstance, but it's a great film adaptation of the costume.

Madripoor! Princess Bar! Can Patch be far behind? Brass Monkey! (Bronze Monkey in the comics?)

Phones ringing with the bounty feels a little Mandalorian and a little John WIcke.

Sharon has arrived. Awesome apartment. Backstory feels like one of the disavowed from the M:I movies.

Zemo dance party!

Another tie to Truth: Red White and Black - Wilfrid Nagel was the scientist that was put in charge of Project Rebirth.

The masked Zemo was spectacular. Great appearance.

Walker doing the ugly American thing. Feels appropriate. Really wondering where he'll land at the end of the series.

Dora Milajae. Completely caught me by surprise (which it shouldn't have given Zemo and Bucky's pasts).

@Matt - Clearly, the Ep cameo will be Quicksilver or maybe Magneto ;-P. Ross is actually a great pick but my understanding was that it was someone that hadn't previously appeared in the MCU. I'm leaning toward Moon Knight.

Decent episode. Utterly disappointed with the cameo. I might be less so if it were any other person in the role.

First mid credit scene of the series.

I thought the best part was the beginning aspect. Seemed to drag a bit. Mid-credit scene was expected. Hope this is ongoing.

Agreed with cameo. I read the character was supposed to be introduced in Black Widow.

Can we talk about episode 4? I think it was the best episode thus far. The opening scene with Bucky, great Zemo moments, and probably the best stuff we’ve seen of Sam when he was talking with Karli.

Not to mention seeing how impotent Walker felt as Captain America. And that ending scene...wow.

edited April 2021

Sorry @Matt , Got busy with work and did not update the spoilers.

Episode 4 went there - a couple of times over.

Really like the difference between Sam's approach and Walker's approach to the Flagsmashers. Feel like Sam was making real progress.

I wonder what they're going to do with the reach out from Karli to Sam's sister.

Was not clear, until this episode of Walker had already been juiced.

Hotel fight was excellent. Interested to see where Zemo ends up next.

Failsafe on Bucky's arm! I have to wonder if there will be repercussions from that with regard to trust for the Wakandans.

I did not see Battlestar's fate coming. I'd anticipated something closer to Walker's clash with the Watchdogs in the comics where he went berserk due to a threat - the fallout from this should be epic.

2:1 fight was brutal. I have to think that Sam shouldn't have walked away from it with so few injuries.

Going to have to ponder this one a bit. There are things I really liked but some things I really disliked.

I will say I’m pretty good with detaching reality from comics and movies - the big rescue scene, however, was problematic on sooo many levels.

Also, my disdain for the Dreyfus only grows.

I think the series peaked with episode 4. Nearly all of the primary characters had stand out moments in that episode.

I’ve been think about the “that’s Black Falcon.” “No, that’s Captain America” dialogue. It reminded me of a conversation (I think on a CGS podcast episode) which lead to @Peter saying “why do I have to be a ‘Hispanic American’...why can’t I just be ‘an American?’”*

With all of the media coverage and in universe talk of ‘a Black Captain America,’ why can’t it be just “Captain America”? I understand the world & society we’re in right now. As much as Isiah’s story was important to tell, I thought Sam saying “it’s just Falcon,” “is it because I’m Black? Does that make you ‘Black kid’?” was important too.

I think Spellman did an excellent job with this series. I thought the series peaked at episode 4. I thought there were some weak points, I think some of the criticisms are superficial (check out YouTube for more details on that one), but I think there was some solid stuff in the series.

*Its actually a comment I think about often.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

Fun fact: The Falcon (created in 1969) was the first black superhero who did not have the word black as part of his superhero name. So I suppose if anyone should have that conversation, it should be Falcon.