Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Invincible - Amazon Prime Cartoon

Amazon put up the first 3 episodes of the Invincible adaptation.

I did not care for it as a cartoon. The animation is not smooth, the action is not exciting. And never having read the comic, I've no love for the story either. Did its twist work back in the day? It feels somehow both a poor man's Alan Moore AND a poor man's Akira Toriyama.

Anyway that's Invincible, I'm sure it will find its audience, I will watch My Hero Academia season 5 instead.

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

I haven't watched it, and likely won't. Read the first several arcs at the recommendation of a friend and did not like it.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

First off, I like the comic, despite the occasional gory violence. I dropped off around issue #75 or so for whatever reason, but I'll probably go back to it at some point. During the time I was reading it, I think it was one of the best superhero comics being produced. Perhaps it benefited from a lack of high quality competition, but there was a lot I enjoyed about it regardless.

I watched the first episode last night and thought it was fine. The pacing of the story is quite different from the comic, with “the twist” coming much sooner timeline-wise than in the comic (in issue #10). I was surprised the twist was revealed so soon, and I think it really lessened the shock value. But I suppose they must be condensing the comic in order to get to the Viltrumite war (which is a long way off in the comic, and builds very slowly) this season, since there are no guarantees of a second season.

I have a feeling this condensed version of the story is going to take away much of what I like most about the comic, particularly when it comes to character development. Time passes in the comic, not just months, but years. Characters grow and evolve. Not sure how much of that we'll get with the cartoon.

• Options
    edited March 2021

@Brack, re: the poor man's Alan Moore comment, frankly I think Invincible was, for better or worse, mainly a reaction to the then-very recent successes of The Authority and Ultimate Spider-Man. And despite its often gory approach to violence, I feel that Invincible was actually a rather hopeful, optimistic book overall. It wasn't trying to deconstruct the genre, but rather was simply trying to tell exciting superhero stories with a heaping dose of melodrama and the sensibilities that seemed to be in vogue at the time.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Watched the first ep. JK Simmons?!?!? OK, now I'm in.

• Options

Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my ears around him as Omniman. Not what I heard in my head at all. But I think having an actor of his caliber will really pay off later on in the Omniman arc.

• Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433

Pretty sure the entire reason they casted him for the role is because Omniman looks like JJJ lol.

I liked the first episode, but I do think a slow build to the twist with Omniman would have been cooler. Imagine getting to know that team even more so, seeing them make it through a few battles, and then have that happen to them.

How it was structured, you knew something bad was going to happen to them.

But they wanted that 1st episode shocker to tell the audience know that this isn't like your normal Superhero cartoon.

Also I really can't see this working as a movie. Which their supposed to be working on.