Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1843 Talkback - Retro Movie Review: Mystery Men

i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784

Look at what the fork we just put out! A choice choice by Murd, as Ian, Shane and Chris join him on a return to 1999, and the cult classic superhero epic, Mystery Men. How does the movie hold up after all this time? Just how heavy was that bowling ball The Bowler was holding? Will disco ever die? How fast can Roy get Furious? Do superheroes wear glasses? Is shoveling a martial art? Are there any names better than Casanova Frankenstein? And is Invisible Kid really invisible? Tune in to find out, or I'll eat this sandwich. (1:26:44)

Listen here or watch it on YouTube:

Comments

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868

It always felt to me that The Sphinx was intended as The Flaming Carrot originally, rather than Captain Amazing. The oblique philosophy and outsider nature feels more like Carrot than anything Captain Amazing does.

Agree that the backyard recruitment scene is the closest it gets to the feel of the comics, though Macy, Azari and Garafalo kind of nail it in their performances all the way through.

For me the very 90s superhero look of the movie is ultimately is its undoing. It should've looked more like Clerks than Batman & Robin.

(and they should have done the Nazi Boots story from Flaming Carrot Comics).