Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1859 Talkback: Comic Talk Summer Spectacular

Slather on that sunscreen, put on your shades, grab your beach chair and your favorite comic book, as CGS embraces the season with some scorching comic book conversation! Ian, Shane, Chris and Murd go over the happening of this year's SDCC, including Marvel Studios' reveals for Phase Five and Phase Six, trailers for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Shazam 2 and Black Adam, and Dark Crisis' true nature being revealed. The geeks also discuss Batgirl getting shelved by WB and Hasbro's new toy releases, then converse on recent reads such a Chip Zdarsky's Public Domain, Amazing Spider-Man 900, Ian catching up on Saga, Murd's tribute to the late great Alan Grant via Detective Comics 608, the last fifteen issues of Justice League via Shane, and much more. Plus we play a listener voicemail, and a Muddle the Murd to cool us down. (2:39:00)

Listen here or watch it on YouTube:

Comments

• JonJon Posts: 6

I always find the Eisner nominations and awards a great indicator of what I should be reading.(Although, I find the discussions from you guys of even better value). I especially love the three separate categories devoted to kids' comics. My 12 year old son has been the beneficiary of many a comic over the years thanks to the up to 8 and 9-12 categories. This year I am looking more closely at the teens category and will probably plump for the eventual winner, The Legend of Auntie Po and also Strange Academy, which I have been thinking about picking up for a while now. But, as you guys say on the podcast, Salt Magic by Hope Larson, in the 9 - 12 category, looks really good too.

Serendipitously, I am halfway through the winner of the Best Adaptation from another medium - Orwell's 1984, adapted by Fido Nesti. Ian didn't have time to list every winner so this wasn't mentioned but I really wanted to give it a shout out it as it is a really great read. Highest recommendations, as Chris would say.

Finally, I'm pleased to see Douglas Wolk's All the Marvels win in Best Comics-Related Book category. I have dipped into it at a Waterstones bookshop but, thanks to the Eisner nod, will probably be looking to buy it soon. A book where the author reads every single Marvel comic in existence. That sounds totally up Chris' (and indeed my) street.