Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How are the current Capt. America books?

I loved Brubaker's Cap since the start of the series all the way up to about Fear Itself. I stopped reading when the title split in two (the first ish or two or both didn't do it for me and I was burnt out on Marvel). Anyway I was thinking about hopping back in and wanted to see what people thought of the current two series? Thanks!

Best Answers

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓
    I have read every issue of of the just Captain America and I have really liked it. It is not something that is gonna win any awards, but is just a lot of fun. I look forward to it every month. The other Cap series was also good for the first two issues, but due to monetary issues I had to drop it, but I am definitely going to get it in back issues. If you are going to get one Captain America book, his singular title is the one to get. I would most definitely suggest it
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Answer ✓
    Anyone willing to come on a podcast and talk about this?
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I loved the first Brubaker run on Cap but I think the recent series has lost a bit of steam. Perhapes because it seems to have changed focus a bit from being gritty (a bit like Daredevil under Bendis and Brubaker) to being more fun. Also, I can't see an overall story at the moment. I understand that people don't have massive plot after massive plot going on in real life and so this period seems to be a break from the heavy duty of the previous series. The 'Captain America & ...' seems to be okay so far but I think it will be short stories that run a few issues instead of something long term. Honestly, I'm enjoying Winter Soldier more at the moment.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Anyone willing to come on a podcast and talk about this?
    If you needed, I could help out with the Captain America singular title. I read only a little of the Cap/Bucky.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Answer ✓
    I've been reading both.

Captain America is a good book. I hate the $3.99 price tag (which is likely what keeps me from calling it "great"), but Brubaker on Cap is just a perfect combination.

Captain America and Fill-In-The-Blank is okay. The first issues were written or co-written by Brubaker, but even then it wasn't the book that the solo title is. Despite being a pretty die-hard Cap fan, I'm very close to dropping this title. (Like I said, it is okay... but my money demands more than "okay" these days.)

If you are going to pick up one or the other, go with the solo title.

If you are going to go with both... maybe change your mind and pick up the solo title and Winter Soldier (more Brubaker goodness).
  • Options
    ChrisSnellChrisSnell Posts: 34
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓
    I, too, have been reading both. Here's my take:

Captain America is a lot of fun, and I really look forward to it each month. There's been a constant theme running through the first 10 issues with Cap fighting an old comrade. I think it's about to get even better, as rumors are that an enemy from Cap's past is making a return. What I've read in interviews with Brubaker make it sound like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Captain America and Bucky (now Captain America and Hawkeye) is also really good. The Cap and Bucky stuff had some really interesting stories, and I think they just got off on a great start with Cap and Hawkeye, just in time for the Avengers movie.

For me, I'm picking up both - they're must reads in my book.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Answer ✓
    I was enjoying both titles but I dropped Captain America, I had to trim the number of books I was getting and I can get my Cap fix in Avengers and I dropped Captain & Bucky with the first non Samnee issue.

• Options
    ChrisSnellChrisSnell Posts: 34
    Answer ✓
    I dropped the team-up book when it went to including a co-writer. I was at a JRJR signing last week and was chatting with him. He is picking up Cap with Remender as the writer, so it seems like Brubaker is definitely done on that book too.
    Wait - wha? Remender is going to be writing Cap?

• Options
    sp005sp005 Posts: 2
    Answer ✓
    I have been disappointed with the quality of Cap since the restart last summer, but continue to get it hoping that it will get better. I made a conscious decision to skip the Cap and Bucky title, but got lucky at last weekends Wild Pig con and scored the entire run through the end. I was pleasantly surprised and I am considering getting on board with the Cap and Hawkeye run now. I also picked up the first few Winter Soldier issues and can now recommend those as well.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I dropped the team-up book when it went to including a co-writer. I was at a JRJR signing last week and was chatting with him. He is picking up Cap with Remender as the writer, so it seems like Brubaker is definitely done on that book too.

In the Captain America family, I will put in a plug for Winter Soldier if it isn't on your radar. Still written by Brubaker and the best Cap book out there right now. Especially if you love the first half of the Brubaker run on Cap.
    I was just going to say that... Winter Soldier IS the best Cap book...!! I've decided to drastically trim my pull list, and of the 3 books in Cap's corner of the Marvel U, I'm sticking with Bucky.
    The best Cap book is the one without him in it.... hmmm. Sounds a bit like Bendis/Brubaker Daredevil.

Do you think Bucky should have stayed as Cap longer or did he need to go back to Winter Soldier?
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    Answer ✓
    I just read all the issues of the latest Captain America series just this weekend. I tend to 'stack up' on comics and blast them all at one time, that way i tend to follow a story better, plus I'm too impatient to wait month to month mostly (unless it's a fave title).
    Anyhoos, I really enjoyed it. The two complete arcs were great. loved the art and the story in both (and it was nice to see Alan Davis work on captain america!)

Answers

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310

In the Captain America family, I will put in a plug for Winter Soldier if it isn't on your radar. Still written by Brubaker and the best Cap book out there right now. Especially if you love the first half of the Brubaker run on Cap.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    The Cap books have dipped heavily in quality recently but theyve all remained at least ok.
    Winter Soldier is great but still looking for a solid footing/direction. Im still all in with that one.
    However I will probably be dropping one of the Cap books before long if they dont improve some since the last arcs and much of the art has left me colded each issue.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

With JRJR drawing?
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310

With JRJR drawing?
    yep
  • Options
    Perhaps Cap just needs one book at the moment.
  • Options
    JRJR drawing Cap makes me feel good inside
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159

I was just going to say that... Winter Soldier IS the best Cap book...!! I've decided to drastically trim my pull list, and of the 3 books in Cap's corner of the Marvel U, I'm sticking with Bucky.
  • Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I will probably pick up Winter Soldier, I was really enjoying Bucky as Cap before the restart and that seems like the closest to it.