Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1227 Talkback: Previews

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited May 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
It's Previews time again! We go over the May Previews for books shipping in July (1:11:04)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Looking through Previews tends to depress me more now than it used to, simply because like many others, I've been forced to trim my list down to uncomfortable levels. Marvel's double-shipping/$3.99 pricepoint is solely to blame for this. I just can't afford to buy that many expensive books every month.

The only monthlies I'm buying these days are Earth Two, Worlds' Finest, Avengers Assemble, Journey Into Mystery, Mighty Thor, Trio, and Supreme.

On the other hand, it gives me the opportunity to get more of the trades I've been wanting, so... win, I guess? :D
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited May 2012
    @Thor_El I agree w/ you the $3.99 double shipping from Marvel is well bullshit. Yeah it gets money for the die hard must haves but for me it only scales back buying from Marvel to only 3 titles & they are not $3.99. The only $3.99* books from DC that I get are Action Comics & Smallville Season 11 (Superman fan not going to quit anytime soon & going to read a few issues of Smallville and try it out), Batman really is good, Justice League I like most of the time. Fatale is $3.50 from Image & Saga is $2.99. As for Usagi Yojimbo is $3.50 when it comes out from Dark Horse. The vast majority of the comics that I buy currently are $2.99.

Matthew
    *Note as a DCBS customer, I pay less than retail & thankful for the great service they provide to me for the last 6 years+.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    At Super Wild Pig I came back with almost an entire long box full of books. I don't know exactly how much I spent, but compared to what I spend at DCBS every month, it really isn't all that much more. And yet... compare the size of the boxes of comics that I got from both places! And of course, you say, "well yeah, but that's all 50 cent books, and sure there's some good books in there, but it can be hit or miss if you're looking for something in particular" to which I say, "thank you to whoever it was on the old forum that mentioned comiccollectorlive.com" This might be the month where I ditch the new comics and just buy back issues. There are a few Image books that I've been really digging and want to keep up on, but I might just do what Shane says he does with Walking Dead and Fables and just pick up a TPB for those series twice a year at Wild Pig shows.

Right now, this is looking very likely....
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited May 2012
    Mike was getting Strontium Dog mixed up with Rogue Trooper when he was selling The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha. Rogue Trooper has the talking gun, helmet and backpack. Strontium Dog has a Scottish mutant, a time-displaced Viking and permanently petrified alien as his sidekicks.

Also regarding continuity and SD, as was discussed on the show, The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha is actually a hefty bit of continuity retconning as John Wagner addresses the 90s storyline that had killed off Johnny Alpha.

Also, Inferno might not be the best jumping on point to Judge Dredd, lots of Dredd fans really HATE it. Best to start with something with John Wagner's name in the script droid box.
  • Options
    @myguy1977 I agree that being a customer of DCBS helps. It's actually what helped me tolerate Marvel's nonsense for this long. But I need to draw the line somewhere. THOR is a book I'll never stop getting, no matter what. And I used to think the same of Superman (I began steadily collecting him with the Byrne relaunch), but since I'm generally not a fan of the New 52, I figured it made a nice bookend to stop where I did last August.

And @KyleMoyer I do the same with Invincible, Dynamo 5, collecting them only in trades. I'd ideally like to do the same with Trio and Supreme, but I also want to buy the monthlies to show my support. Once we know they'll be okay, odds are I'll switch to trades with them as well.

And the cover price with me tends to be subject to my own sense of what's "worth it." Many non-Marvel/DC books are well worth a $3.50+ price, and I'm happy to pay it. But I generally don't feel the same way with books from the "Big Two."
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Mike was getting Strontium Dog mixed up with Rogue Trooper when he was selling The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha. Rogue Trooper has the talking gun, helmet and backpack. Strontium Dog has a Scottish mutant, a time-displaced Viking and permanently petrified alien as his sidekicks.

Also regarding continuity and SD, as was discussed on the show, The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha is actually a hefty bit of continuity retconning as John Wagner addresses the 90s storyline that had killed off Johnny Alpha.

Also, Inferno might not be the best jumping on point to Judge Dredd, lots of Dredd fans really HATE it. Best to start with something with John Wagner's name in the script droid box.
    I realized that on the way home. I stink. Lol
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    One of my prized items in my collection is that Green Lantern/Green Arrow slipcase signed by Denny O'Neil and Justin Hartley.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I saw that Playmate of the Apes book listed, too, and had to wonder just how much of an audience there was for a graphic novel adaptation of a decade old Misty Mundae late night Skinemax flick.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I saw that Playmate of the Apes book listed, too, and had to wonder just how much of an audience there was for a graphic novel adaptation of a decade old Misty Mundae late night Skinemax flick.
    Who knows. I get a feeling that book will sell decently. There is still a huge cult following of Misty.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Listening to the episode again reminded me of everyone's comments on the SHAZAM! backup in Justice League.

Now, I'm not reading any of the New 52 (aside from Earth Two and Worlds' Finest), but I am curious about the backup story since I'm a big Marvel Family fan. I've no desire to buy JL, but I'm hoping the story gets collected separately since the thoughts on it were generally positive from the guys.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I didn't care for the first part of the Shazam story, and a flip through the second part didn't win me over, either. It's great that other people like it, but I need a little more Captain Marvel in my Shazam. Luckily, there are still lots and lots of the original stories I haven't read, so I can enjoy those.
  • Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    I know the Scarlet Spider is a favorite of some people on the show. Would the hardback trade offered here be worth it, or should should I wait for trade paperback?
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited May 2012
    Nice shout out on the Cerebus the Barbarian Messiah book, Mike! It's a little pricey, but looks like a very interesting book of essays on Cerebus. Plus, it has an appendix/intro to the various Cerebus volumes by...ahem...me! :-B

e
    L nny