Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1228: Comic Talk

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited May 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
In this episode we talk about the Avengers movie (again!), Justice League International, Hellblazer, the upcoming 'Arrow' TV show, some original comic art auction results and more. (1:06:03)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Oh, man! You made the movie sound even better than you did before! I can't wait (even though I WILL wait 3 months!). JLI: yeah, I dropped the book after issue 7 or 8. It was just okay. I don't have any speculation about what will happen to the team in the future. Hellblazer: Ah, I'm sure it's a good series and I've even read a couple of the trades, but I liked the movie! (I think Jamie is with me in this!) I lent it to my friend and she said it was great: "Keanu kakko ii (Keanu is cool or good-looking). /// Comic art auction prices: Oh, my goodness!
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    I liked the movie too. It had little to do with the comic but was well made fun.
    And I am a Keanu fan. Contrary to what most believe, he is capable of acting. One just needs to watch more than bill & Ted and the matrix to see it.

Still, why don't you read the comic more often?
  • Options
    ChrisSnellChrisSnell Posts: 34
    Pants - you had it right the first time when sharing the CGS social media options.

Follow = Twitter, Like = Facebook.

Great episode guys!
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    And just for the sake of accuracy I am only "from Ireland" in the same way Mike is.
    In this incarnation I am Eamonn from England.
    ;)
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited May 2012
    Regarding the film rights of the Skrulls, both Marvel Studios and Fox can use them. This has been a topic of discussion for years and Kevin Feige recently cleared it up. Due to the vagueness and intricacies of Fox's rights to the Fantastic Four, if Fox wanted to use them, they could and if Marvel wanted to use them, they also could.

Same goes for Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Fox's original agreements with Marvel state they are allowed to use a number of specified X-Men characters, as well as any unspecified character associated with the X-Men, created before or after their agreement. Because the Maximoffs are closely associated with the X-Men, they fall under Fox's agreements, but because they aren't directly named, Marvel also has access to them.
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    And just for the sake of accuracy I am only "from Ireland" in the same way Mike is.
    In this incarnation I am Eamonn from England.
    ;)
    Yeah. That was a bit harsh. I apoligised to Mike over it. Living in the US...I undestand the need for most Americans to embrace their heritage. Should have known better.

Anyways, judging by how bad Ireland is doing these days with people leaving the country and unemployment back to being as bad as it was in the 80's...Mike should apply for Citizenship. Ireland will be looking for people.

:-)

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Awesome episode. 5/5
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    @Flintlockjaw
    I wasn't commenting on the heritage thing.
    Mike said I was from Ireland because I sent him some Irish Zombie comics.

As it happens my parents are from Dublin which is where my name comes from, but like my icon I'm a Brit.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    According to latest findings we are ALL from AFRICA :P
  • Options
    According to latest findings we are ALL from AFRICA :P
    I was just about to say that. I'm off to study African history...get in touch with my roots.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Haven't listened to the entire episode yet, but so far, Mike
    1. You don't read Hellblazer
    2. You're not Irish
    3. You're whiny.

I need to keep listening to see if we can add a few more to that list. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed that episode. The rambly general comic talk ones are the most entertaining I think.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    (I think this was the episode this was mentioned on)

My dad's name is "Stephen" spelled with a "P" and an "H" but he pronounces it like Steven.

And for those playing along at home, no, Rogue is not my mother.
  • Options
    I with you Mike my Irish brotha, I am an American with Irish heritage and I proudly call myself an Irish American, just because my ancestors needed to take care of themselves and their family during the infamous potato famine by moving to Amerikay, doesn't mean I'm not Irish.
  • Options
    I with you Mike my Irish brotha, I am an American with Irish heritage and I proudly call myself an Irish American, just because my ancestors needed to take care of themselves and their family during the infamous potato famine by moving to Amerikay, doesn't mean I'm not Irish.
    Actually, it does mean you're not Irish. You were born in the United States. You are American...with Irish Heritage but still an American first.
  • Options
    I agree with flintlockjaw on this point. We are Americans first. But that does not restrict us from interest and pride in our ancestors. All Americans trace their ancestors to another nation. Other countries have some outside ancestors, but it is not the majority. Outside of Eskimos and Indians, we were all aliens once. Following our history and heritage back past when we landed here holds a strong interest in many americans. It gives us a sense of place, belonging to something better and greater than just being an American.
    And there is the stigma of being an American. Being an American has more negative connotations than positive.
    As I have been studying Irish history I have learned that they have had their ups and downs. For me their history is far more interesting than America's. It also covers more than 200 years. This makes a significant difference on its own.
  • Options
    This will all be moot soon as we will all be speaking Chinese in the future.
  • Options
    This will all be moot soon as we will all be speaking Chinese in the future.
    HAHAHA!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Being an American has negative connotations? In my mind being European, especially French, has negative connotations. So there you go..it's all subjective.