Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Question for the artists here

Sometimes when I see pages of original art, I see lots of blue lines and/or shading around the artwork? What is that? Here's an example... I've seen pages with much more than this, but this one is handy because I saw it on an article on Bleeding Cool about some big time art sales that are going on right now.

Best Answers

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓
    Image didn't come up but I'm assuming you're talking about the blueline/Copynot pencils some pencilers use prior to inking? I've used them before but they tend to be more waxy than a regular pencil so I've started going back to good ol' graphite.

Anyhoo - they're cool in that they don't scan when you take the artwork into pre-press mode. If you have a liberal attitude with your inker, though, they may ignore lines, not follow your pencils 100%, so you'll have the blue line leftovers.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Answer ✓
    Yep, Torch is right, also sometimes called "non-photo blue" I have tried over the years and have never liked drawing with them, I just don't see the point ever. I can do my initial sketching/layout and then just trace or ink right from it on a fresh piece of bristol/paper on my lightbox. It is definitely a personal choice and what people are comfortable with, even without tracing I'd rather work off of a loose sketch in HB lead and go straight to inks.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Answer ✓
    I lay my pages out in non photo blue, then pencil, then ink.
    It's all what your preference is and how you were trained. No big deal.

Answers

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Am I right to believe that's the page Pants was talking about on Episode 1228: Comic Talk?

bleedingcool.com

Awesome stuff.

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Thank you for the answers. I guess the fact that the two people who answered both said they didn't like using the blue pencils would explain why I only see them on a handful of original art. There was one in particular I saw a while ago that was very very heavy with the blue, but unfortunately I don't remember who the artist was or where I saw it.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    People with a background in animation or a number of other fields and that have been in the game a long time will more likely use it because it had way more of a functional purpose then, now with computers and digital coloring/inking etc. it is kind of just a hold over. It can still be useful though depending on the situation. You can find non photo blue pencils with a less waxy feel that are basically like HB lead but I still really never use them.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    If I "accept" too many answers, does it make me a whore?
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    It isn't just comic book artists that use non-photo blue pencils. Design professionals (Architects, landscape architects, graphic designers) have used them for years. We always gave the blue pencil to the project principal so he would eff-up our work with a sharpie. :)) They are not used much anymore because, unlike comics, we went digital 15 years ago. ;)
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    I've always used a non-photo blue pencil. Coming from an animation background it's natural to me...also, sketches look way better and easier on the eyes with blue. I do know a couple of animators that use red...so, go figure. It's whatever you're comfortable with.