Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punk Rock Jesus

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    What has happened here?
    This is what happens when no one watches the Watcher.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    What has happened here?
    This is what happens when no one watches the Watcher.
    An astute point there Mr. Von Doom

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Ban the Watcher.

That voyeuristic prick.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    We ban concepts not imaginary people.
    Someone call the president to get this all sorted out
  • Options
    Then let's ban the concept of not being able to ban imaginary people.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Let's not ban em
    Let's BURN EM!!!!!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I havn't read Punk Rock Jesus yet but I'm really excited about it for a couple of reasons. This might take me a bit to get there but hang with me I think it will be worth it.

I've mentioned before that when I was a kid my dad worked for McDonnell Douglas aircraft on the Mercury/Apollo programs among other things. I remember as a kid circa 1980 him telling me about being able to read a liscense plate from space using a satillite. What baffles me is that he was essentially describing Google Earth in 1980. So I alway wonder what technology is currently in government/military hands that will not trickle down to us for another 20 years. okay? so thats the background informing my thoughts here...

The other day my girlfriend and I were watching a really terrible reality TV show called, I kid you not, I CLONED MY DOG. There were 2 or 3 distraught pet owners who sent skin samples to some company in North Korea (not 100% on the country i just don't remember) and got back a clone of their puppy. So this thought floats around in my head for a while and i realized it has been, what? 18 years since Dolly the sheep was first cloned and now this is showing up on my TV?! huh. So in my mind this clearly means (and I'm beinging legitimate here I'm not poking fun or being a crazy conspiracy theorist) that some mad scientist is cloning people. If I am remebering this corrrectly and North Korea is the the hotbed of this technology I can easily imagine sombody cloning Kim Jung Il. This freaks me out because we live in an age were technology is improving so quickly i can't even imagine what qualifies as SCI FI anymore.

I recently read an article about advancements in prostetics allowing amputee soldiers to go back onto the battle field. Bionic Man, Iron-Man anyone?

So, the idea of someone taking a DNA sample from the schroud of Tourin and cloning a person and sticking that person on a Truman Show type reality TV program sounds facinating to me. This is exactly the sort of thing we as a culture are likely to do. How you feel about Jesus, or more particularly, how we all feel differently about Jesus is part of that social exploration I think.

We as humans i think always tend to invent things and then work out the moral implications later. The towel of Babel is the story of the invention of the brick. We can now build higher, faster, better, because of the BRICK! Let us build a tower to the heavens...

It doesn't matter what the technology is we almost inevtiably find a way to corrupted by it. I think this writer, and i've not read any of his stuff before, is really tuned in to how we as Americans operate. I wanna see where he goes with this.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Oh and I do not think the Jesus/Puck Rock connection is particularly blasphemus.
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    Like most of the 7 billion people on Earth, I believe that Jesus is as mythological as Thor, so this comic doesn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @random73 : the stuff you post is not random at all \m/
  • Options
    Does anyone remember that this was my previews pick of the month? Lol
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    That is one of the reasons it stuck out to me :)
  • Options
    Filthy heathen
  • Options
    Oh Eric, we have come full circle! Lol
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    What's with the negative connotation being placed on punk rock. Bands and Songs about DIY, independence, being true to yourself, following your heart, brotherhood and sisterhood, equality. Maybe the problem is your interpretation of punk rock...if your only punk rock experience is '77 punk then maybe you are looking in the wrong place. Look into Fugazi, Hot Water Music, Against Me! (among many others).