Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

More Big Steve Bryant News!

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    wait! - he's drawing me....?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    wait! - he's drawing me....?
    Deucedly well, I'm sure.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    That's excellent! Go get 'em, Steve.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
  • Options
    EdChambersEdChambers Posts: 64
    Congrats, Steve! Glad to hear you are busy in the industry!

I hadn't heard before about Canterville Ghost, and that is a bummer because I was looking forward to that.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Wow, working on Steed & Peel with Mark Waid no less... congratulations, Steve!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I love me some Avengers, so I'm definitely looking forward to this. Congrats, Steve!
  • Options
    AW YEAH! now if only Da Bears get Forte signed... or let him get traded.... to da Purple?
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about the Avengers TV show, but three things are getting me to buy the first issue (and at least a few more after that)

1. Steve Bryant (he's such a great guy, how can you not want to support him? And if it helps pay for more Athena Voltaire, I'll buy multiple copies - or at least I would if I could afford it)
    2. Mark Waid (he got me reading a Ka-Zar monthly back in the 90s which is a hard enough feat, but to top it off, he had Ka-Zar going against Thanos, which is so ludicrous it should never have worked, but I loved that series)
    3. I'm an X-Men fan and the fact that the opening issue is based on the episodes that The Hellfire Club were inspired by has me intrigued.
  • Options
    Did anyone read the Morrison miniseries of the Avengers?
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I own one issue of it and it is pretty good.
  • Options
    Got it when it came out.

It was groovy.

One of the few comics I got my dad to read. He loved Diana Rigg.

• Options
    The Avengers have never disappeared from our TV screens - some European channel is always broadcasting the show. And still I own the series on DVD also. One could say I'm a fan of the show.

Never read the comics though. But - I might change that.
  • Options
    The Avengers have never disappeared from our TV screens - some European channel is always broadcasting the show. And still I own the series on DVD also. One could say I'm a fan of the show.

Never read the comics though. But - I might change that.
    Your username is kind of a giveaway.

Just sayin'... ;)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Yeah, I got the Morrison series the first time around, too. It was pretty good and was true to the tone and spirit of the show.
    One of the few comics I got my dad to read. He loved Diana Rigg.
    I first saw The Avengers when CBS showed it as part of their Late Night line-up in the late ’70s/early ’80s. Diana Rigg quickly replaced Julie Newmar as my boyhood crush.
  • Options
    FrankCastleFrankCastle Posts: 37
    Fantastic news sir, sign me up!!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I've never watched an episode of the Avengers. Ever. Time to hie my ass to Netflix, I think.

I'm picking this up because Steve B. is working on it with Mark W.
  • Options
    I've never watched an episode of the Avengers. Ever. Time to hie my ass to Netflix, I think.
    Are you in for a treat!

Groovy Sixties Spycraft!
  • Options
    But for your sanity's sake, NEVER watch the movie remake.

NEVER!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Congrats Steve!!!

Time to catch up on the television series.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Congratulation Steve.

I'll be adding the Avengers to my pull list.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Nice article on the background of the Hellfire Club and how it was lifted by Claremont & Byrne.

I gotta say, the regular cover is kinda... not great. I wish Steve had done it instead. Emma Peel looks more like Our Mrs. Meanie than Diana Rigg (not that there's anything wrong with looking like Iz!) and Steed looks like he's wearing an oversize Patrick Macnee mask.

I love both the X-Men homage covers, though!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Nice article on the background of the Hellfire Club and how it was lifted by Claremont & Byrne.

I gotta say, the regular cover is kinda... not great. I wish Steve had done it instead. Emma Peel looks more like Our Mrs. Meanie than Diana Rigg (not that there's anything wrong with looking like Iz!) and Steed looks like he's wearing an oversize Patrick MacNee mask.

I love both the X-Men homage covers, though!
    The cover is a direct tribute to the TV show - see the clip here:
    http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/545/x-men-and-avengers-no-not-those-avengers#latest
  • Options
    The cover is a direct tribute to the TV show - see the clip here:
    http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/545/x-men-and-avengers-no-not-those-avengers#latest
    I remember the episode vividly. One does not easily (or willingly) forget Diana Rigg in a merry widow. But I don't remember Steed's face being that large. It looks clumsily photoshopped.
  • Options
    steve_bryantsteve_bryant Posts: 96
    edited May 2012
    Thanks again, everyone! You don't know how much it means to me to have received so many warm wishes here, on other forums, via email, and on Twitter and Facebook. I'm truly humbled by the support and encouragement I've received.

Here's a look at my likeness samples:

• Options
    edited May 2012

Very nice!

You've especially nailed Macnee in the upper one and Rigg in the lower one..
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Awesome art =D>

Finding the right tone in writing will be crucial. Next to the cool design of the show and the awesome characters it was the witty dialogues who made it into a cult.

Can't wait for this book 8->
  • Options
    Finding the right tone in writing will be crucial. Next to the cool design of the show and the awesome characters it was the witty dialogues who made it into a cult.
    I think Waid can do a far better job than GMo did.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    Thanks, everyone!

I was avoiding this thread earlier today when the teaser was circulating, because I still considered it being unconfirmed from official sources (and I don't want to screw this up), but now that Bleeding Cool has posted the solicitation material with me listed (as "ATHENA VOLTAIRE's Steve Bryant," how cool is that?), I feel like I can come clean.

I'm super excited. It's weird, I've had a few years of projects being cancelled, over-art-directed books (like Canterville Ghost) and illustrating unpublished screenplays that never saw print but paid me fairly well...between Steed and Peel at Boom, The Corpse back-up in Hack/Slash at Image and Athena Voltaire at Sequential Pulp/Dark Horse, I feel like I may finally have a shot at some career momentum. ;)

Thanks again for the encouragement and support!!
    Awesome news! I, for one will be buying the ever-lovin' heck out of this book!