Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Looking for a book to follow monthly...

*EDIT* Sorry, new to the new board format, and accidently made this a question. Just changed it to a discussion.

So, I finally got a shiny new iPad (okay, it's an iPad 2). I have a tight budget, but would like to follow at least ONE title monthly.

I'm hoping for a relatively new title I can catch up on. I tried Saga, and it wasn't really my cup of tea. Anything you guys could recommend? My personal favorite books have been The Golden Age, Secret Identity, Astro City, Starman (Robinson), JSA (Geoff Johns), Exiles (Judd Winnick), and Scott Lobdell's run on X-Men. Favorite writers are: James Robinson, Scott Lobdell, Joe Kelly, JMS (I'm too lazy to spell out his name. Babylon 5/Superman Earth 1), Judd Winnick, Kurt Busiek, Geoff Johns, Jeff Lemire, and Peter David.

I'm particularly interested in some of the New 52 books. Ideally, as I said before, I want a pretty new title, but catching up with one of those books wouldn't be too tough. Probably put me back $16 or so. Which of those have been good so far?

Another part of my brain tells me to skip the big two, and their big events, and go with an indy book. I bought a ton of Chew trades on sale, and have the first Atomic Robo trade, so those are some options. Unfortunately it would take too much money to get current on Atomic Robo, but I still think I'm going to buy a back issue every month.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    I took some time off of comics, and haven't read a lot of what you've listed there. You'll probably want to get some other opinions, but the ones I like that might match what you'll like are Wonder Woman or Aquaman.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I'm trying to think of something popular that's not from the big 2. Comixology has The Walking Dead trades for around $10 each. You've got 15 volumes to get caught up on and then you could go monthly. A bit of an investment, but worth the payoff. The other option would be to get them via your library to get caught up. Then go monthly. I believe they just began a new arch.

Other than that, I would highly recommend Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263

Other than that, I would highly recommend Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo.
    Second, third, and fourth this. If you just want one comic, Batman is where you must go. You will not find better. And I'm sure me and @fredzilla are not the only ones who think this.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    My first thought was upon reading the thread title, XFactor. Then I read your post and saw "Peter David". So, Xfactor!
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    Funny you guys mention Batman, because I bought issue #1 when t went 99¢ on Comixology. It was amazingly good. Haven't felt like this about a comic since JMS's Amazing Spider-Man. I should catch myself up on this. And I might still go with Earth 2 as well. Then I'll follow 2 books :)