Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

comics database site/software

Hi all,

The old forum had a thread on where everyone stored their comics inventory. Collectorz looked to be the most popular bit of software near the end there, but I was also considering an online option. Being able to pull up a list wherever you are has some appeal to it.

I tried to get on comicbookdb.com to check their inventory system out last night, but the system gave me a "too many users" message and I couldn't get on for the 30-60 minutes I tried. Does the site go down often? Anyone have experience in how long it takes to have a new title/publisher/whatever added? Comicpriceguide.com also has an inventory system, though I haven't looked at that much either. It looks like their database is much larger at this point.

Any opinions on what's good and bad out there?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Answer ✓
    at cbdb i've never seen a "too many users" message, but some other type of error. that seems to occur about once a month, lasting a few hours, maybe a day.

"Anyone have experience in how long it takes to have a new title/publisher/whatever added?"
    if you're adding it, then it is immediate. if you're just waiting for someone else who's adding it, it depends on how popular it is. they have a policy of not adding books until wednesday when they come out.
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    Answer ✓
    I have my collection stored on CBDB but got tired of the system going down and decided to look for an offline option. I looked at CollectorZ and ComicBase,but both seemed too clunky for my tastes. I found ComicCollectorLive.com and subscribed to their software. It took a couple months to re-enter my entire collection and I have been using it as my primary database, with CBDB as a backup. In addition to the cataloging software, they have an iPhone ap and their website hosts a number of stores from which to buy comics. Great deals can be had and I have bought hundreds of books from various sellers for low prices.

Answers

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    I have my collection stored on CBDB but got tired of the system going down and decided to look for an offline option. I looked at CollectorZ and ComicBase,but both seemed too clunky for my tastes. I found ComicCollectorLive.com and subscribed to their software. It took a couple months to re-enter my entire collection and I have been using it as my primary database, with CBDB as a backup. In addition to the cataloging software, they have an iPhone ap and their website hosts a number of stores from which to buy comics. Great deals can be had and I have bought hundreds of books from various sellers for low prices.
    when you buy a book from a seller, does it automatically move the book to your collection if you also have the software?
  • Options
    After you receive your order, you can go to the purchase details page and press a button to add all the books to your collection. I choose to enter the books manually because I suspect it will add the seller's condition as well and I do not always agree with the grade the seller gives.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    After you receive your order, you can go to the purchase details page and press a button to add all the books to your collection. I choose to enter the books manually because I suspect it will add the seller's condition as well and I do not always agree with the grade the seller gives.
    Out of curiosity, do you usually disagree in that you think it's worse than the seller said it was or better?
  • Options
    I tend to think some books are slightly overgraded and have only had a few books that I thought were woefully mis-graded. I prefer to buy books that are listed as Very Fine+ to Near Mint to give some room for overgrading. I no longer buy new DC or Marvel so most of the books I have been buying are Bronze or Copper Age, which makes it harder to find in high grades. Admittedly, it is always a crap shoot buying books online without seeing them but I feel it is worth the gamble if I can get them close to the condition I want for a low price.