Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Non-Comic Podcast Suggestions.

Anyone have any good podcasts of any type they would suggest? I would highly recommend everyone give The Nerd List a try. Its basically a nerdy top 10 every week. This upcoming episode is the big 100 actually.

Best Answers

• Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    Answer ✓
    My top non comics podcast are:
    Hardcore History
    This American Life
    Radiolab
    Savage Lovecast
    Smodcast
    Tell em Steve Dave
  • Options
    DryBonesDryBones Posts: 26
    Answer ✓
    Adam Carolla Show
    Nerdist
    Todd Glass Show
    The Film Vault
    The Dice Tower
    The Plaid Hat Podcast
    Ace on the House
    Weekend Confirmed
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓
    My favorites lately are:

WTF with Marc Maron (interviews with comedians and comedy actors)
    Art of Wrestling with Colt Cabana (interviews with professional wrestlers by a professional wrestler)
    The Nerdist Writer's Panel
    The Jack Benny Show Podcast
    Wrestlecrap Radio (yeah, it's ending and restarting, but start around episode 10 or so and go forward after they got the kinks worked out)
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Answer ✓
    Radio Free Skarro
    Radiodrome
    The 2 Minute Time Lord
    Horror Etc.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Answer ✓
    Nerdist
    Joe Rogan Experience
    Cashing in with T.J. Miller
    Jay and Silent Bob get old
    The Scott Van Pelt show (to catch up on my sports)

Answers

• Options
    Michael777Michael777 Posts: 15
    Great suggestions. I listen to about half of all of those already. I'm an addict. I listen while I do almost everything. Hike, Workout, Ride My bike, Household chores, Video games...just about everything except when I read.
  • Options
    thanks everyone! keep em coming!
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    The Adam Carolla Show. With all due respect to CGS, it is the best podcast of all-time. I don't think I have gone a day without listening since its debut 3 years ago. Adam Carolla is the funniest man alive. You will never get a better podcast. They come out 5 times a week. He also has 2 weekend podcasts, one focusing on cars, the other on home improvement. The Ace Broadcasting Network is epic.

If you want sports the B.S. Report by Bill Simmons is easily the best. The man is a genius.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    My favorites lately are:

Art of Wrestling with Colt Cabana (interviews with professional wrestlers by a professional wrestler)
    Wrestlecrap Radio (yeah, it's ending and restarting, but start around episode 10 or so and go forward after they got the kinks worked out)
    I listen to both of them plus the following

Profondo Cinema-covers all kinds of non-mainstream cinema
    Exploited Cinema-similar to the above

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    WFAN podcasts - Because I can't/won't listen to Sports radio all day. Only New Yorkers/New Jerseys will give a crap about this one.

Armchair Survivor - For me, it's the best and funniest podcast about Survivor. And it's highly interactive.

Kazenshuu - great podcast having to do with Dragon Ball. It's informative and entertaining.

• Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    edited May 2012
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History- It gets really in depth and sucks you into whatever he is covering
    Daizenshuu EX- Dragonball podcast
    The GR80's- covers all 80's movies
    Hollywood BabbleOn- It's just funny
    HPPodcraft- HP Lovecraft podcast
  • Options

Nice, @Bats00.

I'm curious if you miss the old name, or if you've already adjusted.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited May 2012
    My favorites lately are:

Two of my favorites.

Maron's show is amazing: smart, funny people talking about serious stuff.

And the NWP really teaches a lot about the creative process behind TV and Movies. (I'd love to see a special edition with some comic writers.)

Also fond of Comedy Bang Bang (improv comedy: like most improv, it can be truly hilarious or painfully unfunny) The Moth Podcast (true stories told live without notes) and a bunch of NPR 'casts.
  • Options
    kanzenshuu for the win!
  • Options
    kanzenshuu for the win!
    Yeaaah boyyyyy!
  • Options
    GonzogooseGonzogoose Posts: 66
    The only non-comic podcast I listen to is Smart Wrestling Fan (www.smartwrestlingfan.com).

Their shows tend to go long, like 3-5 hours, and they record live with a chat room every Tuesday. Reviews of weekly wrestling shows, PPVs, etc., and they play games, are funny and read a bunch of fan emails.

It's really the only wrestling podcast I can listen to, and I've tried a whole bunch of them, including the aforementioned Art of Wrestling (I can't stand Colt Cabana).
  • Options
    My favorites lately are:

The Jack Benny Show Podcast
    Never heard of the Nerdist Writers Panel until this thread, now I am addicted. Thanks!
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    something i've noticed, there's a lot of wrestling fans here

plus i now have the names of some popular wrestling podcasts to check out :D
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    The Tobolowsky Files Seriously this is the best podcast I have ever listened to and it could not come more highly recommended from me.

Actor Stephen Tobolowsky (everyone knows him when they see him but rarely does anyone know his name) has this podcast where he tells stories from his life, love, and career and it is so supremely well done that once you listen to one you are hooked. They make me laugh, cry, think, and are brutally honest and real and touching beyond words. Especially episodes like "The Alchemist" and "A Good Day at Auschwitz."

I have a long commute and listen to all manner of podcasts (NPR, Science, Tech, Comics, etc.) and none have had me completely gripped and wanting to get to the next story ever in over 10 years of podcasts like this one has. Do yourself a favor and start at the beginning too as they all build and refer back and the whole journey makes it even more amazing.
  • Options

Nice, @Bats00.

LOL I am so backed up with that show that I didn't know about the name change. It took me a little while to figure out what you were talking about.
  • Options

Nice, @Bats00.

LOL I am so backed up with that show that I didn't know about the name change. It took me a little while to figure out what you were talking about.
    Yeah, they merged podcasts/sites with Kazentai.

You'll see if you ever visit any of those sites/ And if not, they'll explain it on the podcast when you get up to it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Nice, @Bats00.

You'll see if you ever visit any of those sites/ And if not, they'll explain it on the podcast when you get up to it.
    I'm close to a year behind so I got some time before that happens lol

A few other non-comic podcasts

PotentialCast/RedemptionCast
    - Buffy/Angel intocasts
    SModcast- still one of the funniest podcasts out there.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Nice, @Bats00.

- Buffy/Angel intocasts
    I use to love Smodcast. But after Zach and Miri came out it seemed every episode was Kevin Smith whining about how the movie bombed and him talking about getting high all the time. Has it changed since then?

• Options

Nice, @Bats00.

- Buffy/Angel intocasts
    If you want to catch up quicker, use 2x speed while listening. You can understand everything clearly, and it will sound like they are talking at a quicker pace.
  • Options

Nice, @Bats00.

- Buffy/Angel intocasts
    I use to love Smodcast. But after Zach and Miri came out it seemed every episode was Kevin Smith whining about how the movie bombed and him talking about getting high all the time. Has it changed since then?

He still talks about being high, but not all the time and Zack and Miri hasn't been metioned in a year or two.
  • Options

Nice, @Bats00.

- Buffy/Angel intocasts
    If you want to catch up quicker, use 2x speed while listening. You can understand everything clearly, and it will sound like they are talking at a quicker pace.
    Will they sound like chipmunks? Because I am more than likely to do so if they will :P
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I had been a Smodcast listener since day 1, and I quit around the Zack and Miri time for those and other reasons. It just lost the spark and became a way for Kevin to sell things, poorly, like fleshlights and stuff. Not to mention listening to him hack up a lung and yell at at the dog over and over. It just became a waste of my time. Same thing with Adam Carolla's podcast, it was always a little tenuous to listen to but then he went way overboard trying to change things and monetize it and super negative and I just quit it.

I give CGS a ton of credit not just for the past frequency of their episodes but for the fact that they don't try to monetize it so heavily that it loses any appeal or credibility. Podcasts (podcasters) always seem to want to capitalize on their podcast at some point and it is how they handle it that makes or breaks it. There are clear and definite right and wrong ways to go about it and yet some self-destruct constantly by making the same bad choices.
  • Options
    I had been a Smodcast listener since day 1, and I quit around the Zack and Miri time for those and other reasons. It just lost the spark and became a way for Kevin to sell things, poorly, like fleshlights and stuff. Not to mention listening to him hack up a lung and yell at at the dog over and over. It just became a waste of my time. Same thing with Adam Carolla's podcast, it was always a little tenuous to listen to but then he went way overboard trying to change things and monetize it and super negative and I just quit it.

I give CGS a ton of credit not just for the past frequency of their episodes but for the fact that they don't try to monetize it so heavily that it loses any appeal or credibility. Podcasts (podcasters) always seem to want to capitalize on their podcast at some point and it is how they handle it that makes or breaks it. There are clear and definite right and wrong ways to go about it and yet some self-destruct constantly by making the same bad choices.
    I couldn't disagree more, I think Smod has gotten better and better since day 1. Funniest thing I have ever listened to.
  • Options

Nice, @Bats00.

- Buffy/Angel intocasts
    Will they sound like chipmunks? Because I am more than likely to do so if they will :P
    They don't.

Thank Grodd for that,