Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: G.I. Joe 2 delayed until March of 2013

I'm not buying this excuse.

---------------------------
http://m.deadline.com/2012/05/g-i-joe-retaliation-moving-to-march-2012-to-add-3d-for-bigger-foreign-box-office/

Paramount is moving the movie nine months to March 29, 2013, to add 3D. “We’re going to do a conscientious 3D job because we’ve seen how it can better box office internationally,” one of the studio execs just told me. “Jim Cameron did all of Titanic‘s 3D in post – and look how well that movie turned out.”

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    From my armchair executive position, this looks like a good idea-- this summer is SO crowded with big product that I feel like a number of things, even big proven content sequels, will end up losing out in a summer that has so many bigger deals. Their tracking probably showed that this was going to get lost in the shuffle.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm actually disappointed.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    :( no Rock and Die Hard Connection till 2013? Dang it!
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    i'm just keeping my fingers crossed for a gi joe movie, not just a bunch of guys running around and interrupting a snake-eyes and storm shadow movie

which i loved the snake-eyes and storm shadow movie
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    This is rarely a good sign...
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    With Avengers, Amazing Spiderman, & DKR coming out this summer, I'd move the release too.

It's good to see a movie I want to see is going to be delayed for a version I won't be paying view.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Plus there is Prometheus...yeah, I can't blame them for moving it.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Take the AICN souce with a grain of salt, but here's some more speculation:

aintitcool.com Update
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I had a feeling Duke's role was a cameo type appearance just based on the trailers.

M
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    they pushed the movie back but my son and I grabbed some of the toys for the movie at Wal-Mart before they got pulled. The local Wal-Mart still has no Lego Avengers sets so I grabbed these as quick as could.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    they pushed the movie back but my son and I grabbed some of the toys for the movie at Wal-Mart before they got pulled. The local Wal-Mart still has no Lego Avengers sets so I grabbed these as quick as could.

Yeah the local Walmart and Freds is loaded down with the toys. Saw a 8 inch tall figure that looked just like the Rock.

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Wow. That date is a pretty big admission that it sucks.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    But does it blow?
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    But does it blow?
    March date? must be both. Otherwise it would be April or October.

• Options
    March is traditionally a dump month, as is September and October.
    If they had faith they would put it in feb or June.
    It was smart for them to yank it away from competition this summer, and adding 3D will increase oversea sales which are hugely important now. But all the fuss about adding more tatum is a bad sign. That means messing with the story. Reshoots are one thing but retooling is another.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    I thought February was considered the "dump month".
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    March 2013 has a lot of movies scheduled.

Neill Blomkamp's Elysium
    Sam Raimi's Oz: The Great and Powerful
    Carrie Remake
    Dreamworks' The Croods
    Bryan Singer's Jack the Giant Killer
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation
    Andrew Niccol's The Host

6 genre films and 1 animated family film. That's like a summer line-up. I'm looking forward to at least 5 of them. I would hope none of those films are being "dumped" there.
  • Options
    February used to be the worst month of all but that changed in the late 2000s. They have successfully released action, genre, and horror films often enough to start a trend. The biggest factor is the economy. January suffers from lack of funds post Christmas. Feb is when people are recovering financially as well as get stir crazy.
    March is a vast void no one cares about.
    April is family fare and fill in movies not made for summer.
    May-July is prime time.
    August is the dumping ground for would-be blockbusters and low budget big movies.
    September is for school and summer recovery, the now worst month for movies.
    October is for adult oriented films and Oscar hopefuls.
    November is family holiday movies. It used to be only the weekend before thanksgiving and thanksgiving day big releases. Now it is the whole month.
    December is movies that wouldn't work the rest of the year but have some confidence in them so the studios don't want to dump.
    Then there is the weekend before Christmas thru January 3rd. The biggest week/2 weeks of the year.