Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1232 Talkback: Spotlight on Marvel in the 2000's Part Two

2»

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Murd, just between you and I, I've been feeling a little "manga curious" lately. Ha!
    Read Appleseed!
    Or akira!
    Or death note!
    Or nausicaa!!!!!!!!
    Or iron wok jan!
    Or hunter x hunter!
    Or Battle Angel Alita
    or Mai the psychic girl
    or Ranma 1/2

• Options
    Or xenon!
    Or area 88!
    Or Shion (if you can find it!!!)
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Would the various Robotech comics count as manga?
  • Options
    No. Those are American comics. Based on anime. Of which neither is manga. :(
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    'Nuff said: The thing I remember most about that promotion was that Elektra cover.
    Ultimates: Hm, I remember Cap kicking Hank Pym's butt. Heh-heh...and the Wasp was Asian?
    The Hood: I got some of those issues and they were interesting. Like Pants I think it was #3 I couldn't find.
    Spider-man/Black Cat: In the midst of the delay I was thinking, "How did I get tricked into buying this?"
    Mystique: I really liked that series!
    Truth: Ah, I got them, but I really wasn't into it. I'm not a big fan of Kyle Baker's art. I don't remember that about Will Smith. Interesting tidbit, Mike! I remember the Tom Cruise one.
    DOOP!: Well, I thought it was entertaining.
    Runaways: Eh, it's okay. Maybe because I've never read the early issues, I don't get it.
    and so on....
    Wow, you covered more years this time. Hats off to you guys! And this time, I can actually go to my longboxes and dig out Strange Adventures! (heh-heh...)
  • Options
    comsorrelscomsorrels Posts: 10
    i always like it when manga comes up. hearing you guys experience or talk about manga that holds a special place in my heart is always cool. im waiting you to do an episode on something like bleach, with more emphasis on action and fighting. it seems like that might be more universal.
  • Options
    Do the others even know what bleach is? Lol
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I know what bleach is, but I'm not sure if you're talking about this

or this

• Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    I for one cant wait for "Marvel Spotlight: 2020" where we get to hear from future Murd and Jamie and Pants and Mike and hear where Marvel went after they decided to relaunch the entire universe (completely unrelated to the DCnU asn Quesada continues to claim)
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Finally finished up the epsiode last night, loved it, but....(yeah, I know, always a but) a few corrections:

-JMS is the one who did the story of The Thing being a multi-millionaire.

-The Daredevil movie tanked? Budget of $78 million, pulled in $108 Million US and $76 million foreign, 2 DVDs (original and director's cut) and a spin-off for Elektra. I wish I had a project that tanked like that. You may not have liked it, and it may not have done Spider-Man numbers, but it was successful enough that Fox wants to retain the rights to the character.

-I had forgotten Rucka and Robinson's Wolverine was under Marvel Knights. I LOVED that run, and when Robinson was getting beaten up in the fan press for his art, I sent him an e-mail that it was the first time I'd bought the Wolverine book since Buscema and felt the art was amazing. He sent back a very nice note and I discovered we have a mutual friend not in comics!

-Whedon's Astonishing X-Men was supposed to the considered the book that picked up where Morrison's X-Men left off, and if I remember correctly, it was given its own series instead of being in New X-Men because Whedon knew he would not be able to meet deadlines.

This was, IMHO, Marvel's more fertile creative period since their height in the Bronze Age (1972 - 1976), and even their failures were at least interesting.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Infinity Abyss

Murd, skip it. It will do nothing but break your little cosmic heart.
    Thanalactus not good enough for you? :p
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    let me just say agin how much i've been enjoying these spotlights:)
  • Options
    mtk1966mtk1966 Posts: 5
    I love these episodes! They take me back to all the years I've been collecting. Fantastic!
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    I love these episodes!
    DITTO! A delightful one or two hours of fond reminiscence with each one! Luckily, with 4-7 decades to summarize (depending on the character), and several thousand characters per company, the CGS Gents have a LOT of material to choose from when producing their next 1,357,482,358,294 "Spotlight" episodes! ;)