Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comic Suggestions

I could use some help. If this is the wrong place to post this I am sorry, please correct me if it is. I have recently been getting into comics a bit more and Spider-Man has always been my favorite. I bought vol. 1 of the Essential Amazing Spider-Man. So far it is pretty good and I had hoped to eventually read all the Spider-Man comics. However that was all crushed when I read about the comic runs "One More Day" and "Brand New Day". Needless to say, I wasn't to pleased with what I read. So I think I'm going to drop Spider-Man off my list. So my question is this: Can any of you recommend a new-ish superhero comic that didn't make any drastic continuity changes like Spider-Man? It doesn't have to be Marvel or DC, it can be anything. I say new-ih because I don't want to have to buy 600+ comics.

Answers

• Options
    I always recommend Invincible. It feels to me like the 60s Marvel comics of a young person finding out they have superpowers but through the eyes of Kirkman. There are around 80 issues or so and there have only been 2 artists so that stays consistent.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Second on Invincible. Great superhero action. It's Kirkman's Spider-Man.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I'll third Invincible. I don't read too many superhero-type comics, but Invincible lives up to the hype for sure. Daredevil is pretty easy to hit the key trades of. I'm a sucker for Moon Knight but that isn't so much superhero-y. Check out some superhero books from Image you can get some cool stories without worrying as much about crossovers and continuity and radical changes.
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78
    I was really surprised to find how much I enjoyed the new Aquaman. I have never been remotely interested in the character before but Johns is doing a bang up job with the story. Pick up the first trade.
  • Options
    lagann127lagann127 Posts: 5
    edited May 2012
    Moon Knight looks really cool. Thanks for the help. Now since Moon Knight is a bit older, where should I start reading it? Whole I haven't read Invincible, I just have one problem. I coul be wrong but he seems to Superman-y. I don't like Superman that much because he's kind of the standard superhero with super strength and flying etc. I should have clarified that I don't care for super heroes of that type.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited May 2012
    You might enjoy Boom Studio's Irredeemable. Basically Superman if he cracked, but so much better than even that premise implies.

And its sister book, Incorruptible, where said Superman-analogue's villain is forced to become a hero.
  • Options
    Moon Knight looks really cool. Thanks for the help. Now since Moon Knight is a bit older, where should I start reading it? Whole I haven't read Invincible, I just have one problem. I coul be wrong but he seems to Superman-y. I don't like Superman that much because he's kind of the standard superhero with super strength and flying etc. I should have clarified that I don't care for super heroes of that type.
    Essential moon knight.
  • Options
    Try the first invincible hc and see what you think. Definitely different than superman but a similar power set.
  • Options
    lagann127lagann127 Posts: 5
    I will check these out. Thanks guys :D. I found a pretty interesting comic called Witch Doctor. It's only up to issue number four and that was released in late 2011. There isn't too much info on the creators so do you think they will be making more?
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    The New 52 Batman is off the freaking hook. Must Get. In Marvel Avengers Academy is excellent.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Have you tried Ultimate Spider-Man? Basically the same Spider-man story you know but told more modernly I guess you'd say and it stays pretty well in continuity with itself

That being said don't read past 148 ;)
  • Options
    Moon Knight looks really cool. Thanks for the help. Now since Moon Knight is a bit older, where should I start reading it?
    Essential Moon Knight. That is if you don't mind there being a lack of color.
    Charlie Hustons run on Moon Knight (2006) was great.
    Vengeance of the Moon Knight
    I would stay way from Bendis' MK (2011) since it's like all his other Marvel crap in that all the characters seem like Spidy.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    I would second Irredeemable. Great stuff and self contained.
    There is also Argo 5
    And halcyon, a mini but one of my favorites.
    And dynamo 5
    51 Delta
    Pantheon
    Nexus
    Twilight guardian
    Vision machine
    The authority
    Dellec
    FX
    Next men
    School for world conquerors
    Hell yeah
    Anything from valiant
    The intrepids
    Jack staff
    Jersey gods
    I've enjoyed all of these. Give me a try
  • Options
    Moon Knight looks really cool. Thanks for the help. Now since Moon Knight is a bit older, where should I start reading it?
    Essential Moon Knight. That is if you don't mind there being a lack of color.
    You could always go hunting for the back issues. That's what I did.

Listen to these 2 eps of Comic Book Page where Bob Bretall and Dave Beaty dive into the early Moon Knight. That really revived my love for Moon Knight. He was one of my favorite characters as a kid. At a certain point, everybody decided it was best to portray him as insane and it lost its charm for me.

http://www.comicbookpage.com/Podcast/?p=518

http://www.comicbookpage.com/Podcast/?p=519

I still think Moon Knight would be awesome portrayed more as a Jason Bourne type character than as Sally Field in Cybil.