Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New to comics, need Batman advice.

I have never read or been into comics at all my whole life. I was listening to a podcast and they were talking about Batman comics. They seemed quite interesting what they were talking about and interested me so since I have a iPad I decided to download the comixology app and downloaded some Batman comics. There is tons of Batman comics I don't even know where to start I noticed the new 52 series. From what I understand it is a new take on the new 52 heros of the DC universe. Should I start on the new 52 serious since its a new reboot? Would jumping 2 different series of Batman confuse the story? I just have no idea where to start from what I understand anything from Grant Morris is probably my best shot, would it throw things off if I read the old comics of Grant Morris and none of the others? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

P.s. anyone have any good podcast about comics? ATM I been listening to comic vine and ign assemble.

Answers

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Grant Morrison's run is very controversial. Some people loved and it and some hated it. The New 52 was a reboot of the whole DC Universe, but it was very piecemeal and some things were rebooted more than others and Batman was barely touched. But with that said, your best bet probably is the new Batman series by Scott Snyder. It seems to me to be pretty accessible to new readers, but I'm probably not the best person to judge that since when it comes to Batman, I'm not even close to a new reader.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Agreed. The only thing that might throw you are the number of Boy Wonders floating around the book, but it's a good place to start.
  • Options
    DryBonesDryBones Posts: 26
    The New 52 Batman is great. One of my first batman stories was Batman: Year One. I still pull it out and read it at least once a year.
  • Options
    Agreed. The only thing that might throw you are the number of Boy Wonders floating around the book, but it's a good place to start.
    Which is why I like the nice summary of them all in the first issue.
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    I have never read or been into comics at all my whole life.
    Oh, my word! Your parents should be arrested for not raising you properly! Welcome to the World of Enlightenment! Your soul has just been saved! First, quit your job and dump your significant other because you've got a LOT of reading to do!
    P.s. anyone have any good podcast about comics? ATM I been listening to comic vine and ign assemble.
    In no particular order...

Comic Geek Speak
    Uncanny X-Cast
    Around Comics
    11 o'clock comics
    Comic Book Queers
    Word Balloon
    Comic News Insider
    iFanboy
    Marvel Noise
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I have never read or been into comics at all my whole life.
    Oh, my word! Your parents should be arrested for not raising you properly! Welcome to the World of Enlightenment! Your soul has just been saved! First, quit your job and dump your significant other because you've got a LOT of reading to do!
    In no particular order...

Comic Geek Speak
    Uncanny X-Cast
    Around Comics
    11 o'clock comics
    Comic Book Queers
    Word Balloon
    Comic News Insider
    iFanboy
    Marvel Noise
    And Kray Z Comics and stories (by ME!) where we talk about working in comics retail, owning a comics shop and being comics fans as well as a lot of silliness.

• Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    Sounds good! I'll check it out!
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    The DC new 52 Batman would be the best to start with. Comixology also offers batman: legends of the dark knight which is a fantastic series. It is 2-4 issue stories that do not require any knowledge of batman to enjoy. You will find Hollywood pulls from these stories often, for good or ill.
    The new 52 detective might interest you.
    Batman inc and batman & robin will require some previous knowledge.
    Gates of Gotham, dark victory, and black & white are all good reads also.
    Stay away from odyssey. It's crap.

And remember, if it looks cool, get it and read it. Develop your own taste.
    Let us know what you read and what you enjoyed!
    And welcome to the pah-Tay!
  • Options
    Comixology also offers batman: legends of the dark knight which is a fantastic series. It is 2-4 issue stories that do not require any knowledge of batman to enjoy. You will find Hollywood pulls from these stories often, for good or ill.
    Legends of the Dark Knight is a great series for a beginner. There are, however, a handful of issues that crossover with the regular titles.
    27 is part of a crossover with Batman and Detective
    59-63 is part of the whole Knightfall thing
    116-126 are part of No Man's Land
    182-184 are part of War Games

I'll list a few of my favorites from the run as long as you keep a few things in mind - 1. Your tastes may very well be different than mine, 2. I've read most of the run of LOTDK but I know there are a handful of issues here and there I've missed, 3. This is going strictly from memory using the cover gallery at comicbookdb.com and there may have been another one that I liked but forgot about, 4. Some of these I haven't read for a while and since I was 14 when the series started (I'm 36 years now), my opinions may have changed if/when I read them again, although I find that in general, a lot of stuff I liked back then I still like now. I'm more likely to go the other way where there was something I just plain didn't get back then that clicks for me when I read it at an older age.

I'm listing these by storyline. For example 1-5 is one story. If you read issue number 6 it's a completely different story by a completely different creative team, oftentimes taking place at a different point in Batman's history. So when you buy the first issue of the next arc, you really don't need to know much else other than who Batman is (and I suppose whatever supporting cast appears in those particular issues, but they usually do a good job on the more obscure characters, and I'm assuming you know who people like Alfred and the Joker are). But on the other hand, if you read just issue 3 without 1-2 and 4-5, you're only getting part of a story

So the recommendations....
    the Halloween Specials
    1-5
    6-10 (these are by Grant Morrison and are a bit more accessible than his later run on the main book)
    11-15 and 46-49 and 137-141 are three separate stories, but are kinda sequels and are all very good. There were rumors that the next movie would be based on 11-15, but I don't think that's the case anymore. If you like those, 86-88 and 146-148 are by the same author, Doug Moench, who has also written a lot of the main continuity Batman and Detective books
    16-20 - if you're just reading some of these on their own, these wouldn't be my first recommendation, but if you're reading some of the big storylines in the main continuity, this is a great lead-in to the Knightfall saga. And if you see the new movie and like Bane, you'll want to check out Knightfall
    28-30
    42-43
    65-68 - great concept to this story. The Joker thinks he's finally killed Batman so he doesn't know what to do next and he snaps and "goes sane."
    192-196

I know there are more, but those are a few favorites to get you started.

But most importantly, if you read something and don't like it, try something else. Either by another writer/artist or even the same (even the best have duds once in a while). If you find something you like, look the person up on comicbookdb.com and find out what else he/she has written/drawn and see if you like their other stuff. And remember that all of these recommendations are exactly that - recommendations. These are all things that I (or Mike or whoever else responded to you) think are good, but you might disagree. If you get a whole bunch of people telling you the same story is good, it's definitely worth checking out, but you might think it's crap. And same with the other way around, if everybody else tells you to avoid something, it's probably for a reason, but you might like it (for instance, I really like the Ang Lee Hulk movie). Scour the internet and local stores/cons for good deals on cheap runs of books. Or see what your local library has on its shelves. It's the best way to find out what you like without spending too much money on the stuff you don't.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I agree with most everybody the the Snyder stuff is great and easy to jump on board with because it is brand new. but really as far as comics in general go, just jump in and swim around. EVERYBODY knows the basic Batman concept so it doesn't take much to just roll with the story. There are probably some "Don't Miss" storylines out there but we all have probably different favorites based on out ages and when we came to comics. (sounds like I'm talking about Jesus) MY Batman is the Jim Aparo Bats from the original Batman & the Outsiders. It just is. I know the art has some issues (everybody has the same face with different colored hair) but that was Batman when i was 12-13ish and will be Batman till I die. Everything else is just a variant. Mike has it right when he says if it looks good to you grab it.
  • Options
    @kylemoyer way to take the fun out of advice duderino. Holy guacamole!
    You don't sell a lot of deserts do you? :D
  • Options
    Why the hell would I want to sell someone a desert? It's hot and dry and if you grow up on a planet covered in one, it will lead to you using cheesy pick up lines about hating sand.
  • Options
    Your point being.......
  • Options
    that I have gas
  • Options
    Now your cooking with it
  • Options
    And same with the other way around, if everybody else tells you to avoid something, it's probably for a reason, but you might like it (for instance, I really like the Ang Lee Hulk movie).
    For real? or are you just trying to be different? (VERY different)

I kid! :)
  • Options
    But seriously...

Any of the Animated Series collections or singles are AWESOME. I dare say, not a klunker in the whole bunch, and no prior knowledge required.

Also, a lot of the Elseworlds books are great fun... and they tend to distill whatever characters they use down to their essence, and tell you all you need to know. Detective 27, Gotham by Gasslight, and such come to mind.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I'm a Batman fan but rarely does a Batman story blow me away, most are just good, nothing wrong with that but when I hit one that really knocks it out of the park it makes some of the others pale in comparison. I think it is actually a personal thing with Batman stories, I'm not a fan of Robin most times and I can get turned off by certain takes on Alfred or other characters or even just little details or art choices. I learned long ago to disregard even universal praise for certain books and be my own judge.

* The Knightfall trades were just re-released and super affordable
    * Dark Knight Returns (Year One doesn't do much for me even though many people rate it highly, you may like it though)
    * Hush
    *Arkham Asylum
    * Court of Owls (again it does less for me than the hype/rave reviews that abound but it is very good)
    * Long Halloween
    * Dark Victory
    * Penguin: Pride and Prejudice (I loved this)
  • Options
    And same with the other way around, if everybody else tells you to avoid something, it's probably for a reason, but you might like it (for instance, I really like the Ang Lee Hulk movie).

I'm being completely honest. If I was trying to be different I wouldn't loathe Batman and Robin, love The Dark Knight, love The Avengers, etc. I saw the Hulk on opening day and thought it was a blast. Then afterwards, I read all the negative reviews and just plain didn't get it (the reviews, that is). I think a lot of people just started going along with the reviews. I will concede though that the ending was a bit off, but not as much as people make it out to be.

And speaking of universally loathed comic book movies, I keep seeing Howard the Duck in the discount DVD section and I'm always tempted to pick it up, but I'm almost certain I'll regret it when it serves as a reminder of just how easily amused I was at 10-years old (or however old I was when I saw it... somewhere in that area).
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

And speaking of universally loathed comic book movies, I keep seeing Howard the Duck in the discount DVD section and I'm always tempted to pick it up, but I'm almost certain I'll regret it when it serves as a reminder of just how easily amused I was at 10-years old (or however old I was when I saw it... somewhere in that area).
    Howard just made me sad...they took a brilliant character and turned him into a typical 80's movie hero who happened to be a duck.

Then again, Marvel has completely lost the point of the character by7 having him be a gung-ho military leader now...

Wait, weren't we talking about Batman?

You can NEVER go wrong by picking up the Greatest Batman stories ever told and the greatest Joker stories ever told trades.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    For specific podcasts that I like that involve DC and Batman, I would check out
    Raging Bullets
    DC Noise
    Bat-Radia

As for stories with Batman, the new 52 Batman would be a great place to start. My favorites are Batman and Batman and Robin. As for specific stories, I would check out:
    Batman: The Cult
    Batman: The Long Halloween
    Batman: Dark Victory
    Batman: A Death in the Family
    Batman: Knightfall, Knightquest & Knightend
    If you like to try out Batman in different eras, they have Batman trades from specific decades as well as The Batman Chronicles which are trades the have Batman stories in the order they came out which is a fun way to read older Batman stories.
  • Options

I'm being completely honest. If I was trying to be different I wouldn't loathe Batman and Robin, love The Dark Knight, love The Avengers, etc. I saw the Hulk on opening day and thought it was a blast. Then afterwards, I read all the negative reviews and just plain didn't get it (the reviews, that is). I think a lot of people just started going along with the reviews. I will concede though that the ending was a bit off, but not as much as people make it out to be.

I couldn't even get through the Hulk movie... and that was after I eventually decided to fast forward through the talkie scenes to get to the action scenes.. and then I found myself fast forwarding through those to get to the good ones, which I never found.

Now, Howard the Duck, is a different story! I LOVED that movie when I was younger, and watched it MANY times! But have held off watching it recently, lest I get hit with the same kick to the crotch that finds me when I watch Swamp Thing, Land of the Lost or some of the other stuff I loved as a kid...
  • Options

Now, Howard the Duck, is a different story! I LOVED that movie when I was younger, and watched it MANY times! But have held off watching it recently, lest I get hit with the same kick to the crotch that finds me when I watch Swamp Thing, Land of the Lost or some of the other stuff I loved as a kid...
    For me the big one was Knight Rider. I watched that show every week as a kid and absolutely loved it. I watched a few episodes as an adult and realized just how insanely cheesy the show is.

Still doesn't change the fact that I would love to own a car like KITT though.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    Most of the above plus the Norm Breyfogle run,excellent one/two issue stories with prob the best barman art ever.