Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Prometheus discussion (Spoilers)

I thought it was a very good film. I decided to make it only my second 3D experience (Avatar first) but I didn't think it added much, so I think I'm done with over-paying for 3D now, if even Ridley Scott can't do much with it. There were some excellent sequences, eg. the computer assisted surgery was 'watch through the fingers' uncomfortable.

One question though:
The opening scene showed an 'engineer' willingly drinking the bio-weapon and then dying. I guess he was some kind of 'suicide bomber' who was willing to die to infect that planet through its water? Or was he creating life on that planet using his dna interacting with the bio-engineered weapon?

Overall an excellent film I'll be watching again on Blu-Ray.

Comments

• Options
    SirChasmSirChasm Posts: 9
    Excellent film I fully agree.

Yes I believe he was "testing" the bio-weapon was very interesting opening I must say. At first I thought it was the creation of life on earth I'd like to see that scene again.

Few things come to mind for me:

Why did David infect the male scientist was it a case of just wanting to see what would happen? Seemed odd when his primary purpose seemed to be finding a living engineer for his creator to communicate with.

I like how they end she was going to go ask the engineers why they decided they wanted humanity dead and the head was 2000 years old so did they decide they wanted humans dead around the birth of Christ? Maybe they were annoyed with humanity no longer crediting them with their creation and the rise of religion? Or maybe I'm totally over thinking that one :)
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I decided to make it only my second 3D experience (Avatar first) but I didn't think it added much, so I think I'm done with over-paying for 3D now, if even Ridley Scott can't do much with it. There were some excellent sequences, eg. the computer assisted surgery was 'watch through the fingers' uncomfortable.
    I love IMAX, so if a movie is in IMAX 3D, I'll see it there. Regular screens? Screw 3D.

With that said, one excellent 3D movie was Hugo. One of the few where the 3D was worth the extra money. I could swear that the backs of the heads of the people in the section in front of me were BEHIND the action on the screen. I haven't had that experience at any other 3D movie including Avatar (however, Avatar was excellent 3D in other ways - one of which being that it was the only thing that made the movie worth watching).

(No comment on Prometheus though because I haven't seen it. I only decided to skim through this thread to get a general idea of if people liked it or not. I work over the weekend, unfortunately, but Monday IMAX, I'm there.)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Just been listening to Sir Ridley Scott on BBC 5 :
    If this movie is successful we might do another 2 films until we get to the planet shown in Alien
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308

Why did David infect the male scientist was it a case of just wanting to see what would happen? Seemed odd when his primary purpose seemed to be finding a living engineer for his creator to communicate with.
    I thought it was a result of David's secret meeting with Weyland. He was told to 'try harder', I assume it meant he was to experiment with the alien goo to try to get something to happen. That's the best I got right now, definitely a film that's worth re-watching.

While I think Avengers was the more entertaining film, this was certainly the more interesting.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Man, I want to see this movie.
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Good but not great. I gave it a 6/10.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Just realized... I should probably watch Alien first.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited June 2012
    Just saw it.

Oh HELL yeah.

I think (can only guess, because I have probably seen the original Alien more than a dozen times) that even without the original Alien movie as a pre-text, that this absolutely still works as Lovecraftian horror. And even if the original Alien (especially to the audience who didn't know what was coming) was more surprising, I think this one succeeds at being more horrifying (in a good way), and also succeeds in feeling more thematic. This is not just a fate that befalls bystanders. This is what happens when you go looking in places you shouldn't look. To me, that makes it more Lovecraft, and more about something. It makes it about cosmic, existential dread (like the best Lovecraft) and not just monster-in-the-house.

Also, on my way out after the credits, I saw a pregnant woman and her man (I am guessing the father) on their way in to see the next show.

I think they will regret they didn't just go see Avengers again. Or a nice, tame showing of Men in Black 3 or something.

It will be interesting to see whether a movie like this will be able to succeed at a time when most SF is about kicking ass, as this was not that. And is definitely a slower, creepier story than what tends to succeed these days (e.g. Avengers). But I hope it makes money so we can get another one. And so the money people can continue to be shown that a film with a female lead can make money.

PS- I opted for 2D. Even Avatar, supposedly the pinnacle of 3D cinema, made me with I was watching 2D. So they can keep it.
  • Options
    spaceman88spaceman88 Posts: 19

One question though:
    The opening scene showed an 'engineer' willingly drinking the bio-weapon and then dying. I guess he was some kind of 'suicide bomber' who was willing to die to infect that planet through its water? Or was he creating life on that planet using his dna interacting with the bio-engineered weapon?
    I assumed he was Prometheus by letting the virus out on the planet and killing the Engineers before they could take off and kill earth.

They asked so many questions in this movie and as much of a rush as the movie was (I was jacked coming right out of the theater), it fell apart when I was talking with my friends about the tons of gaping plot holes that existed on all levels. Bigger questions would be like 'Why did the Engineers decide to kill Earth', down to smaller ones like 'Why was Janek so coy about his reasons for going' and 'How did a drugged woman who had just had an alien ripped from her stomach wander off to stumble upon Weyland who had been hiding on the ship? And why was he even there?' Weyland being on the ship answered no questions, served no purpose and muddled an already vague plot even more.

That being said, I saw the film in regular 2D, but was blown away by the visuals and the scope. I had to cover my eyes in horror a few times, which I count as a good thing for a movie, and the creatures were so new and different that real fear came from what the hell were they going to think up next. It did ask a lot of great questions about our existence and, while the plot wandered to a fairly inconclusive and unsatisfying end, it brought up a lot of philosophical questions that most sci-fi tends to bring up. It wasn't perfect, but was the best Ridley Scott movie in a while to say the least and satisfied the Alien fanboy in me a great deal.

7/10

P.S. How great would a happy go lucky musical sequel of Elisabeth and David's head just roaming around the galaxy be?

• Options
    Another great read from The Guardian:

Prometheus: what was that about? Ten key questions
    Ridley Scott's return to the Alien universe has left a lot of people scratching their heads. It's up to Ben Walters to set off on an exploratory voyage into the film's great unknowns
  • Options
    BetaRayBenBetaRayBen Posts: 50
    I'll agree that the 3D is totally unnecessary here. See it in two dimensions; you won't miss anything.

And I thought Weyland's presence on the ship was unnecessary as well, unless he really wanted to be there with David for first contact? It seemed impractical, especially considering the toll that being in stasis takes on even the younger, healthier members of the crew. It also distracted from the more engaging sequences with Rapace.

Other than that, Prometheus was everything I wanted!

Fassbender was incredible, the visuals were appropriately stunning, and the story itself obviously has us thinking and wanting more. It was more cerebral than I expected it to be, but that ultimately did not mean less action. We got plenty of badass "Alien" moments, and (perhaps best of all) we should get more of this franchise in the future.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I saw a 3D showing. There are a couple scenes, namely the landscapes back on earth and the actual scenes that took place in outer space where I thought the 3D looked fantastic, but the rest of the movie wasn't really enhanced by the added depth. I too will echo KyleMoyer's praise for the 3D used in Hugo. Another film that looked great in 3D was Captain America. I didn't see Captain America or Thor in 3D during their initial releases, but I got an opportunity to see them both in 3D during the Avengers Marathon. Thor's 3D was a detraction, but Captain America's was leaps and bounds better than Thor's and the 3D used in The Avengers. I say if you're a fan of 3D see Prometheus in 3D for a couple scenes, but be prepared to be underwhelmed by it. You're probably better off seeing it in 2D. I saw Prometheus in Real-D, which to be honest I tend to prefer over the IMAX 3D. However, I did manage to score a free Prometheus IMAX 3D poster, but only because the theater I saw it at had a pile of extra prints.

As for the movie itself. I enjoyed it. I did find the pacing a bit disjointed at times. Did anyone else get a Venom symbiont vibe from that black goo? And I'm still wondering why David would spike Charlie Holloway's drink. I get that David's a robot and doesn't possess a conscience, but it just seemed such a bizarre thing to do. Of all the ways to inoculate someone, dropping a mysterious creature into an alcoholic beverage then having the guy ingest it, didn't seem like a very scientific approach, let alone a pragmatic one. Another issue I had was Guy Pierce as the older Peter Weyland. Yeah, I get the whole TED 2037 thing, but Peter looked too much like a young guy (no double entendre intended) trying to look old, as opposed to an old guy clinging on to life. Just to reiterate, I DID ENJOY THIS MOVIE! It's just that I would have appreciated it a whole lot more if some of the issues I had with it had been addressed. At the very end when the alien emerges, it's practically full-grown compared to the Alien in the first alien movie. I would have preferred a little consistency between the Alien movies, instead of having the audience make the leap of faith that this was a different type of Alien (a different species perhaps).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxdAWrsag8

I really need to re-watch Lawrence of Arabia.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited June 2012
    I was pretty disappointed by this movie. I went in with pretty high hopes - I've see all the Alien movies, and rewatched Alien recently. And I'm inclined toward this type of movie in general. And it looked really great. And it was full of some really cool ideas.

BUT... story just wasn't there. It didn't hold together - there's much too much unexplained that shouldn't be unexplained. I thought the opening scene was the creation of life on Earth, too. Was it a bio-weapon test? Perhaps. Why should that be ambiguous?

Why would the Engineers want to wipe out Earth? Just as a teaser for a sequel? That's a pretty big plot point here - b/c the Engineer is going to try to wipe out Earth - and we have no clue as to why? Really? By making the Engineers basically ciphers, they're a lot less interesting here. It's like we just got a taste of this storyline, and nothing more.

And why did David infect Hollloway? Really not clear. As was mentioned, his primary goal was to make contact with the Engineer to try to save Weyand. Why not test out the black goo another time under controlled circumstances?

And the whole room of containers - we hear speculation that they were biological weapons being tested. Were they? No confirmation - just a lucky guess here? I assume that this is why the Alien-like being was a bit different from the other aliens we've seen? Because it was a different iteration of the weapons development program?

The whole movie just didn't hang together for me. Seemed there COULD have been a good movie in there - but we just didn't get it. Bummer!!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    It's supposed to be the first of a trilogy - leading up to Alien. Let's hope that the sequels will be made though.

(according to Ridley Scott's various interviews)
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    I think the idea is to watch Alien after you see this.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    If you watch Alien first, you will likely be far less satisfied with Prometheus as Alien is a far far superior movie. Kinda like comparing Godfather to Godfather III. There's some good stuff in the latter, but the former is light years ahead.

e
    L nny

• Options

I thought it was a result of David's secret meeting with Weyland. He was told to 'try harder', I assume it meant he was to experiment with the alien goo to try to get something to happen. That's the best I got right now, definitely a film that's worth re-watching.

While I think Avengers was the more entertaining film, this was certainly the more interesting.
    Thats a question I've seen a few mention here, and its one that jumped out to me too. Weyland seemed only to be interested in meeting the "Engineers." When his daughter tells him that if he goes out there he will die, he said that he didn't care. So he seemed to have planed on this being a one way trip for him. Wanting to try and smuggle an alien back doesn't seem to be a motivation for Weyland.
  • Options
    I'll agree that the 3D is totally unnecessary here. See it in two dimensions; you won't miss anything.

And I thought Weyland's presence on the ship was unnecessary as well, unless he really wanted to be there with David for first contact? It seemed impractical, especially considering the toll that being in stasis takes on even the younger, healthier members of the crew. It also distracted from the more engaging sequences with Rapace.

That was the point. Weyland funded everything, the research and expeditions on Earth, and the trip to space, so that he could meet his maker and ask them, "why?" He comes right out and says it when they are preparing him to go outside.

You said it seems impractical because of the toll that it would take on him. That illustrates how important it was to him, and how desperate he was to meet the "engineers." He put up all of that money. He risked the time spent in stasis. And when told that going out there would kill him, he said that he didn't care. Meeting the "engineers" meant everything to him. And he was willing to risk everything.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the movie. There are some questions that I would like to have answered, but I think it works that not everything is answered. Leaving you to wonder and leaving things to the imagination can be good. And leaving questions that bother you can foster anxiety, and dread that works for a movie like this. Like David D. said, this was Lovecraftian horror. And when you go poking around in those realms where you shouldn't, you don't always get the answers that you're looking for.

I can't wait for it to come out on dvd. I hope that there is a good commentary track on it.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Why would the Engineers want to wipe out Earth? Just as a teaser for a sequel? That's a pretty big plot point here - b/c the Engineer is going to try to wipe out Earth - and we have no clue as to why? Really? By making the Engineers basically ciphers, they're a lot less interesting here. It's like we just got a taste of this storyline, and nothing more.

Maybe the point is that there are things that we are never going to know, which is true in this life. And maybe there are things that we shouldn't know. Things that we shouldn't go poking into. These things, and the idea of unanswered questions work as themes for this movie.
  • Options
    You should watch Lawrence of Arabia first.

• Options
    http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

All speculation of course, and not based on anything official, but I think a lot of what this guy is saying makes sense and fits the movie and answers some of the questions people have about the movie.
  • Options
    It's also worth noting that the link I posted even makes an attempt (that is probably stretching it to put it mildly) to explain why they couldn't just run sideways at the end of the movie.
  • Options
    Ridley Scott had said after the first alien movie was released that we never actually saw the xenomorph in its natural state. He and obannon wrote the story to have this mutated warrior alien that adapts to its environment from its gestation host. It's DNA mixes with the hosts to form whatever is going to be a dominant life form in its birth environ.

I'm wondering if the black ooze is the actual xenomorph? Probably. The maggot things became the creatures that look like dianogas and make the first attack.

Also David infected the guy because he is always challenging humans about their humanity. He asked what would you do and the guy answered anything and everything. It wasn't until he said this that David put the alien in the drink. The guy had an out. He was being tested.
    Synthzoids being a bit twitchy seems to go back further than we knew.

I loved the movie. I'm not seeing as many plotholes as some of you.
    It made perfect sense that weyland was there to meet his maker.
    And yes it left us with questions. That's what good movies do. They don't need to answer everything.
    Sure the captain is only speculating. No one knows exactly what the engineers are up to. That's kind of the point.

I like to think that the engineer at the prologue was populating the earth.
  • Options
    BetaRayBenBetaRayBen Posts: 50
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, @MikeGallagher and @Sandman, after further thought, it does add meaning to the story for Weyland to be there.

Again, I loved the movie, and will try to see it again in 2D before it leaves theaters.
  • Options
    Dan_CapDan_Cap Posts: 39
    edited June 2012
    I enjoyed the movie alot, the last half seemed a bit edited down for time and a little disjointed but the sets, and effects kept me pretty pleased. I don't think the plot holes took away from my enjoyment. I read on some blog an article about all the bibical analogies but they didn't detract from the movie. (oh yeah its the same one Kyle linked to!)
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    What a great sci-fi film. It did not have to be related to the Alien franchise and quite honestly felt like more of an homage than continuation of the mythos. Fassbender was fantastic and as a fan of Lawrence of Arabia loved how he tried to emulate it within the film. Rappace was a strong female role and a fine replacement for the Ripley character. Loved it. That is how to do epic. I'm looking at you Bay and Emmerich!!!!!
  • Options
    shazaamshazaam Posts: 1
    Just saw it in IMAX 3D ... totally worth it. Amazing experience, can't imagine watching it in 2D. To those of u who said the 3D wasn't worth it, you're sadly mistaken . This movie was shot in 3D, it's not meant to be seen in 2D. If you do watch it 3D make sure it's IMAX because regular 3D is usually crap and is far inferior to IMAX 3D. Pay the couple of extra bucks and watch it IMAX. As for the movie, it was great but there were lot of unanswered questions. Prometheus can't work as a stand alone movie, they have to follow it up with several sequels.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    - mind officially blown -

And yes, the logo in Firefly actually reads, 'WEYLAND-YUTANI CORP".
    I mean - I get the Joss connection with Alien Resurrection and all, but how cool is it that he slipped it into Firefly, and then have it resurface years later with Ridley Scott's return to the Alien franchise? Note the logo shown here is the one from the original Alien movie, the logo used in Prometheus is meant to be an earlier variant of this logo, and one that doesn't make mention of the Yutani partnership.

The lower screen-shot is from Firefly episode 1 (the real episode 1). Early in the episode Mal can be shooting an anti-aircraft gun. The log appears in the gun's HUD.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Did anyone get a 2001 vibe from that movie? Especially with the first title scene with earth and the sun in line?

As for getting your mind blown
    - mind officially blown -

And yes, the logo in Firefly actually reads, 'WEYLAND-YUTANI CORP".
    I mean - I get the Joss connection with Alien Resurrection and all, but how cool is it that he slipped it into Firefly, and then have it resurface years later with Ridley Scott's return to the Alien franchise? Note the logo shown here is the one from the original Alien movie, the logo used in Prometheus is meant to be an earlier variant of this logo, and one that doesn't make mention of the Yutani partnership.

The lower screen-shot is from Firefly episode 1 (the real episode 1). Early in the episode Mal can be shooting an anti-aircraft gun. The log appears in the gun's HUD.
    First episode of Firefly has a Lambda class shuttle (Star Wars) in it.

Battlestar Galactica Mini-Series has Serenity (Firefly/Serenity) in it.

So that means Aliens, Predator, Star Wars, Firefly/Serenity and Battlestar Galactica are all connected.

Beware Sith Pred-aliens.