Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Manga-what do you like?

So what are some of your favorite manga?

We rarely talk about it on the show and I think I'm the only one of the Geeks that's reads it regularly. I want to start a discussion about it.
I have three immediate favorites:
Nausicaa of the valley of wind, akira, and Appleseed.
Has anyone read them?

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I have not read much manga. I was working at a comic shop when the three you mentioned were coming out, and I'd flip through them as they came in. Appleseed didn't do anything for me. Nausicaa was very pretty, but felt a little too preachy. I liked Akira, mostly for the energy in the artwork, but not enough to buy it. I liked the movie much better... which leads me to why I don't read a lot of manga—the pacing. Most of what I've tried just feels too padded. It makes Bendis’ work feel like Hemingway. I did read all 15 volumes of Battle Royale, and while I enjoyed it enough to keep buying it, it really should have only been about 10 volumes long.

The one exception I've found is Vagabond. Maybe because of the nature of the material (samurai historic fiction) or because there are so many characters or because it's something of a sprawling epic covering most of a lifetime, I don't mind the slower pacing with it. And it doesn't hurt that the artwork is gorgeous. Unfortunately, it's on hiatus so who knows if the story will ever get finished.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    AKIRA was the first manga I bought back in 1991. A German publisher released the series in a colored version and printed for Western eyes, left to right, and started the manga craze that is still going on today. Mangas are sold by the millions in Europe. I now own Akira in various versions and have read it several times. Also love the movie.

About a quarter of my comic collection is manga.
  • Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    I was working in a comic shop just a year or two after those came out, and didn't get into any of them. I think I have a copy of Appleseed. Didn't try Akira though I did watch the movie (and fell asleep). I didn't touch Nausicaa. I remember reading Battle Angel Alita for a while, but don't remember a thing about it.

I did read almost all of the Lone Wolf & Cub books that First put out, and really liked that. I didn't realize there was a lot more until recently. This week I started reading the first volume that Dark Horse put out, and am about half way through that.
  • Options

In Europe the books by Jiro Taniguchi are extremely successful. So much so, that his books reach a wide audience outside of the "comic reading crowd" . His books are displayed in windows of many bookshops and spoken about in literary circles.
    Photobucket

Haruka na Machi-E (Distant Neighborhood) was made into a Belgian movie - transfering the Japanese setting to a Belgium one quartierlointain-lefilm.com/

I LOVE Taniguchi's work and have currently 12 of his books on my shelves.

And let's not forget his collaboration with MOEBIUS

Photobucket

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I don't read a lot of manga, but there have been a few I've picked up sporadically and enjoyed:

Yotsuba&! - joy on paper, that's what this is.

Kindaichi Case Files - Fun teen mystery series, kind of like a really high stakes Encyclopedia Brown

Liked the first volumes of Planetes and Death Note, though I've never read past them.

Enjoyed the first 3 or so of 20th Century Boys, but actually stopped buying them when I learned it was like a 20+ volume series. That's what the library is for. I plan on going back to catch up at some point.

Ordered the first Nausicaa a few months back, but haven't read it yet.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    One Piece
    Initial D - I love this.
    Tekkonkinkreet - On of my absolute favorite things in the world.
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Naruto
    Death Note
    Nausicaa
    Ningen (I'm including it even if it isn't technically Manga)
    Astroboy
    Fist of the Northstar
    Mobile Suit Gundam
    Akira

Man, I could go on forever as I keep thinking about it. I used to work for a Japanese company and miss having access to so much awesome stuff.
  • Options
    Pluto by Urasawa. Not just my favorite manga, it's in the top five best anything I have ever read.

20th Century Boys also by Urasawa
    Planetes by Yukimura
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I read Akira back when Epic was putting it out. Lone Wolf and Cub when First comics was putting it out. And then Battle Angel Alita when Viz was putting it out. Tried out some more modern manga and none of it has really caught my attention.
  • Options
    One Piece
    Initial D - I love this.
    Tekkonkinkreet - On of my absolute favorite things in the world.
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Naruto
    Death Note
    Nausicaa
    Ningen (I'm including it even if it isn't technically Manga)
    Astroboy
    Fist of the Northstar
    Mobile Suit Gundam
    Akira

Man, I could go on forever as I keep thinking about it. I used to work for a Japanese company and miss having access to so much awesome stuff.
    Are you listing anime or manga?
    If manga, which gundam series?
  • Options
    @MikeGallagher, Manga, I mentioned I worked for a Japanese company not sure if all of these ever made it to the US or not but a quick search on Amazon pulls them all up so I think they are all accessible here. There are a bunch of Gundam books, off the top of my head Blue Destiny and 00F but I know I have other stuff too. If you know the anime of any that I listed and weren't aware of the manga I definitely recommend everything above. You can get the entire Tekkonkinreet collected book pretty cheap. I recently completed the white and black original art books set, that was not cheap or easy but so worth it (they are based on the art of the anime though).
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I have two manga loves.

The first is Dragon Ball.

The second is Battle Royale.
  • Options
    Blue destiny was cool. Not a fan of wing tho...
    I've also read the ms gundam based on the original 0079 series.
    One piece was cool until it got repetitive(something that type of plot does)
    I couldn't get into naruto.
    I am 3 volumes away from finishing death note. Love it!
    I have read a smattering of north star. It is so cool. Wish more people knew it now.

Nausicaa is my favorite manga. I was getting it in Japanese long before it came here and was translated.
  • Options
    Blue destiny was cool. Not a fan of wing tho...
    I've also read the ms gundam based on the original 0079 series.
    One piece was cool until it got repetitive(something that type of plot does)
    I couldn't get into naruto.
    I am 3 volumes away from finishing death note. Love it!
    I have read a smattering of north star. It is so cool. Wish more people knew it now.

Nausicaa is my favorite manga. I was getting it in Japanese long before it came here and was translated.
    Agreed on all counts, I like wing though and I didn't read all of Naruto but the first bunch of them I really enjoyed. I like the manga of Fist of the North Star better than the anime actually. One Piece is another I can't say I've read every one of but I love the art, the people on the project, and again for quite a long run of volumes I was all in. I will probably read all of both Naruto and One Piece as I get time here and there even if it takes a long time. If you haven't seen or read Tekkonkinkreet I can't recommend it enough. I love both the Manga and Anime and it is one of my favorite things ever created.
  • Options
    Another series I adore is BAKUMAN from the same creative team that brought us DEATH NOTE.

I'm reading the German translation of the book - so far 14 volumes available over here.
    A book both of my kids love too.

Bakuman

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    It's not a question of where I begin with manga that I love - it's where I stop. For about 3-5 years I reviewed manga for IGN.com, and upon my "retirement" (and when IGN moved their offices) they shipped me everything they had lying around...eight to ten massive boxes full of old and new manga and anime. I still haven't read and watched it all.

Here's my favorites:
    Phoenix - It all comes back to Osamu Tezuka for me. We talk about artists and creators having life's work...the thing they labored on throughout their career. This is Tezuka's. It's sadly an "unfinished" symphony, but the volumes that do exist lay the groundwork for much of the manga we've enjoyed since.

Anything Kiyohiko Azuma puts out - Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba@! should be on everyone's shelves. The first is a fun example of yonkoma (4-panel gag strip) and actually teaches quite a bit on how to "pace" your humor for effect. The latter is, as was mentioned, joy on paper. It's the only manga my wife rips from my hands when it arrives.

Anything Akira Toriyama puts out
    - I interviewed a number of manga-ka for IGN, and without fail every one of them cited Dragon Ball as the book that made them want to be a comic creator. So I read it, and immediately saw what they saw. Then I read Sandland. Then Cowa! Don't be fooled by the anime of Dragonball Z where it's just two dude shouting at each other...the manga is SO much more than that.

Excel Saga
    - Love this series. If Monty Python were a manga, this would be it. There's a bit of a learning curve - you have to know your manga and anime tropes to get a lot of the humor, but for the rest of you, there's boobs (creator Koshi Rikdo went on record as saying "I like drawing tits!" in one of his afterwords) and this last volume gave me the phrase I want as the epitaph on my tombstone - "It is my hope that you will all remember the man that you came to love in life...and not the pervert you're going to discover when you look at the hard drive on my laptop!" It's that kind of humor...and I love every minute of it.

Anything Naoki Urasawa puts out - currently for American audiences that's three great titles - Monster, Pluto and 20th Century Boys. If you haven't read at least ONE of these titles, you're seriously missing out on excellence in comics. He's a master of the facial expression and creating compelling characters. 20th Century Boys is one of the few books that made me actually pump my fist in the air and go "yeah!" when a particular event happened. On the bus. With a crowd of people watching. When was the last time a book did that for you?

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service
    - Scooby Doo with a very morbid turn. A quintet of paranormal investigators help the dead achieve peace by solving the "mysteries" of what killed them and meting out justice where possible. And try to turn a profit in the process. Funny, scary, twisted, and with just enough continuity to keep you reading along. Oh, and there's no giant dog...just a hand puppet that may be from another world.

Dorohedoro
    - I've gone off on this one enough in other threads. All you women complaining there's no female representation in comics? Go get this book. All you manga-philes who think a female created book means it's another shoujo high school romance? Go get this book. All you people complaining that comics have gotten stale and routine and gosh wouldn't it be great if something totally different were to come out? Go get this book. Top of the stack every time a new volume comes in.

Afterschool Charisma - Now here's a high school story with a twist - it's a school where they clone the great world leaders, artists, scientists, and so on - but what happens when Marie Curie decides she doesn't want to be a scientist, and prefers to learn piano from Mozart? What happens when Hitler (yes, they clone Hitler) turns out to be a nice guy who really really REALLY doesn't want to believe that the clones are destined to follow in the original's footsteps? What happens when Joan of Arc *wants* to embrace her destiny? Much darker and deeper than I'd originally figured it would be.

Battle Angel Alita - How much do I hate Jim Cameron right now? He had plans to bring this story to the big screen (and he's one of the few directors I believe could do it and do it right)...but he'd rather give us more Avatar movies. So no Battle Angel Alita movie...but the manga keeps chugging along. Admittedly it's gotten a bit stale in the last few books, but the first eight or nine are required reading.

And that's just the ones I read currently! Others have been mentioned already - Tekonkinkreet, for example, is also required reading. Then there are series I've completed but still love like Ninja Girls (allow yourself at least ONE harem manga in your life), Kame Kaze, Lady Snowblood, etc.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Another series I adore is BAKUMAN from the same creative team that brought us DEATH NOTE.

I'm reading the German translation of the book - so far 14 volumes available over here.
    A book both of my kids love too.

Bakuman

@john_steed 14 volumes? They've only released 10 here in the US.. and I cant get enough!

Im really enjoying Bakuman too. Its an interesting look at how manga gets created (or got created at some point), and I quickly got invested in the characters, and even the extended cast.

@wrecking_crew I agree Planetes is a great 5 volume collection. Sci-Fi and human at the same time.

@Libraryboy I couldnt agree more Yotsuba&! is happiness on the page. Wish more volumes would come out!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Here's what I've been trying to read from the library, when the books are there to be read. Manga is pretty popular here, the library has a manga club and the shelves are empty quite often.

Appleseed, Death Note, Excel Saga, Naruto, Bleach, One Peice, Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragonball
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    edited June 2012
    I bought the first volume of Akira after watching the movie. After finishing the first volume I went back to my comic shop and bought all the remaining volumes within the next week and a half. The guys at my comic shop told me that they never seen someone go through the series as fast as I did. Other manga I read are death Note, Trigun Maximum, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Bleach. I heard a lot about Lone Wolf and Cub so I plan on reading that in the near future.
  • Options
    JoeSergiJoeSergi Posts: 78
    I'm really enjoying High School of the Dead. Don't judge me :-)
  • Options
    I'm really enjoying High School of the Dead. Don't judge me :-)
    PERV!!! :)

Just kidding - I like it as well. It's a well-done take on a fairly overdone storyline. The anime is good as well.

• Options
    @Torchsong not to go OT, but when did you write for IGN? I did a lot of video game coverage/reviews and owned a few independent sites that got bought up and assimilated into what was basically then Snowball Networks which was the parent of IGN so around PS1 through PS2 days. I was at a lot of E3 and convention/expos around that time, we may have run into each other.

My only issue with Manga is how long the series get to be, most often unnecessarily so IMO. It just becomes tiring and tedious after a point. I tend to gravitate towards complete stories that are contained in a reasonable length or number of volumes. I also tend to wait until a series ends and make sure it ends properly before I even begin.

Also slightly OT but this is a relatively unknown Anime/Manga and I'm sure everyone here would really enjoy it: "Mahojin Guru Guru" It is in my top 10 of all time and virtually no one has seen/read it (including my former Japanese co-workers) but everyone raves about it once they watch or read it.
  • Options
    I wrote for IGN around 2003-2008 or so. They had a comic section and while it was never as strong or well-done (IMHO) as sites that actually were 100% dedicated to comics, they did the best they could with what they had. There was never a strong emphasis on manga, but they paid me and I got to keep what they sent me to review.

I'm with you on the length of some manga but I also like the idea that many of them do, in fact, end. Excel Saga is (sadly but finally) coming to a close with volume 27 I believe. Now that's 27 volumes of awesomeness but at the same time it's 27 VOLUMES!!! :) I like the ones that can get the story told within a good 7 or 8 tankobon - with notable exceptions (Azuma can keep publishing Yotsuba until I'm in the grave!) :)

I haven't heard of Mahojin Guru Guru but reading the Wiki on it it sounds like something I'd enjoy.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Anything by Naoki Urasawa is a winner. Pluto, 20th Century Boys, Monster. Can't say enough good things about them.

I know you are all tired of hearing it, but Yotsuba remains my favorite manga to date. It's just innocent fun, of which there isn't a whole lot in comics any more.

Please try something by the master Osamu Tezuka as well. Might I recommend Black Jack or Phoenix as two of my favorites?

I'm also really liking Drops of God right now too. It's all about wine. And the art is exquisite.
  • Options
    JGalaJGala Posts: 19
    Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragonball (of course)
    I was turned to all these after watching the shows on Toonami (a huge loss for Cartoon Network, don't know what they were thinking getting rid of that eh?)

I was heavily against reading Naruto for no particular reason, but my ex roommate was a HUGE fan and convinced me to give it a read, turns out that I loved it ha

I gotta have me some Chobits too >.<
  • Options
    Have you ever witnessed the speed in which the Japanese read a manga? No wonder some of the series are as long as they are.

During their daily commute to work they easily read at least one complete volume. And many times after finishing a book they just throw it into the next trash can - it's crazy.

And still there are collectors......
  • Options
    @John_Steed it comes from space being a premium from what I've encountered but it certainly doesn't include everyone there are collectors too. I burn through any reading material, novels, comics, manga, magazines, etc. I usually read between 50-80 novels a year in addition to comics and everything else. When a book really makes me slow down and savor it then I know it is special and it goes on the shelf. Tekkonkinkreet is on my Top 50 shelf which is a place of honor :) I can't ever bring myself to throw away almost any book, I donate them instead, a rare few I have found unfit to donate and throw away in disgust though. Superman #1 new 52 was one of those.

@Torchsong, ahh, yeah after my time I was in around 1995-2002-ish. I think Snowball Networks was like 2000 IIRC. I ended up in a similar situation with Rottentomatoes, they wanted to do an aggregate video game section like they do with movies but it was ill-fated and killed off and I was getting out of the gaming field around that time anyhow. Sadly, the promo items and press swag and games usually paid better than the work itself when I'd sell them.

Definitely check out Mahojin Guru Guru, seriously it is humorous and fun but really well done and one of my most underrated Anime/Manga loves.
  • Options
    I have two manga loves.

The first is Dragon Ball.

The second is Battle Royale.
    I really want to read the Battle Royale manga. I first saw the movie right after it hit dvd in Japan. Buddy of mine goes over there all the time to visit his in-laws. He came back with the DVD. Said I had to see it. And he sat there doing a running translation of the dialogue for me.

• Options

Battle Angel Alita - How much do I hate Jim Cameron right now? He had plans to bring this story to the big screen (and he's one of the few directors I believe could do it and do it right)...but he'd rather give us more Avatar movies. So no Battle Angel Alita movie...but the manga keeps chugging along. Admittedly it's gotten a bit stale in the last few books, but the first eight or nine are required reading.

I love that series. And I am so happy Cameron isn't making a film out of it. I am not a fan of his films. The only one I really like is The Terminator. Do you know if there has ever been an action figure of Alita? I would love to have one to display. It sucks I have gained too much weight to wear my Battle Angel shirt anymore.

• Options
    PaulPhelanPaulPhelan Posts: 45
    Second all the shouts for Pluto and 20th Century Boys - both excellent reads. I've also got Death Note in my collection which is OK, but I'm not convinced yet. Has anyone else read Biomega? I've got the first two volumes which are decent enough, and need to make decision on whether to buy more. Will check out Planetes and Nausicaa at some point, based on comments here.

I remember reading Blade of the Immortal years back, and cannot remember enough of it to raise an opinion.

My one concern with Manga, and this is probably a common if not predictable one, is the sheer number of volumes in titles. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough time to start a commitment to 20+ volumes (in some cases) in addition to all other reading/family/work commitments etc.
  • Options
    With the volume number issue raised a few times, and even by myself, I don't want to change the direction of the thread but what are people's favorite *completed* series that aren't ridiculously long?

Nausicaa
    Cowboy Bebop
    Tekkonkinkreet
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Deathnote

Come to mind for me, but I'm sure I'm missing some really great ones that fall in this category.