Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1233 Talkback: Avengers vs X-Men Month 2

Comments

• Options
    Ok,ill say what I mean,as much as you guys are trying hard this podcast is not as good as it was,many will disagree hence my opinion,doesn't mean I like you,Jamie,Adam or Pants any less.Not one insult in there.This podcast got me back into this hobby and for that it'll always be special.But its obvious that I made a mistake airing my views,so ill leave you to it.And Random,Soz you got dragged into it hun,hugs.
    Thank you. This means more than your previous comment.
    I'm glad your here. I would like it if you could comment on what you like and dislike about the ep. And about the comic. You never talk comics!!!

And for the rest of the forum: I'm the hothead. I do this.
    I got flamed far too much on the old forum. Now I have decided to stand up for myself. Same as you do.
    Don't like it? Don't read my comments and don't respond to them.
    No harm no foul. Disagree? Then be honest about it. I respect that.

I'm done. Thank you for listening.

• Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    Stopped getting this after issue 2, jrs art is not his best that's for sure,hope it has a decent ending then ill get it in trade.
  • Options
    Stopped getting this after issue 2, jrs art is not his best that's for sure,hope it has a decent ending then ill get it in trade.
    Are you a jrjr fan?
    I have some trouble with the inking. Hanna is doing a seemingly quick job. Or maybe isn't getting the flavor of it.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Mike,

Honest. Ok. I didn't like being told to sit down and shut up. In real life that is the sort of thing people come to blows over. I try not to say anything here I wouldn't say to an actual person sitting across from me.

I get standing up for yourself, fine. But I wasn't saying anything you needed to stand up too. I was telling Busty to settle down and get to know people before mouthing off. Then I felt like you came in an bitchslapped me for being a peacemaker. You didn't help my argument much as far as that goes.

So, mental note. Mike overreacts. Got it.

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Mike,

Honest. Ok. I didn't like being told to sit down and shut up. In real life that is the sort of thing people come to blows over. I try not to say anything here I wouldn't say to an actual person sitting across from me.

I get standing up for yourself, fine. But I wasn't saying anything you needed to stand up too. I was telling Busty to settle down and get to know people before mouthing off. Then I felt like you came in an bitchslapped me for being a peacemaker. You didn't help my argument much as far as that goes.

So, mental note. Mike overreacts. Got it.

You said you got it earlier, but I don't think you did. He wasn't telling you to sit down and shut up. He wasn't standing up to you. He was making a joke about being the dad. That's it. It's like when people get called old and then they make a joke about yelling at the kids to get off the lawn. They're not really yelling at the kids to get off their lawn, they're making a joke about being old.

To be blunt, I'll agree there's someone over reacting in this back and forth, but I don't think it's Mike.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I have AvX on my to-read pile while I've been reading other things, but I have paged through it and I'll agree. To clarify, I am a JRJr fan. I love his work. But his work on AvX is just not doing it for me at all and looks downright weird at some points. I don't know if it's the inking or not (Hanna has inked other work by him just fine so I don't know if it's that or not), but something is off.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited June 2012
    *squints eye and raises eyebrow*

You mean like a grandpa Simpsons voice?

*thinks real hard*

Hmmmm I might be able to see that.

*scratches bald spot*

Mike, if I misunderstood I sincerely apologize.

That isn't the way I heard it. I felt like I was being attacked, and I didn't like it.

I may have been wrong.

No harm no foul.

*extends hand*
  • Options
    *squints eye and raises eyebrow*

You mean like a grandpa Simpsons voice?

*thinks real hard*

Hmmmm I might be able to see that.

*scratches bald spot*

Mike, if I misunderstood I sincerely apologize.

That isn't the way I heard it. I felt like I was being attacked, and I didn't like it.

I may have been wrong.

No harm no foul.

*extends hand*
    Not so much Simpson but more Clark griswold.

Shakes hand

Steals kiss
    Cops a feel
    Leaves happy

So before Dave bitches again, what do you think happened when meowmeow struck Phoenix? Did it drain that much power? Is Thor that powerful against it? Looks like
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    So before Dave bitches again, what do you think happened when meowmeow struck Phoenix? Did it drain that much power? Is Thor that powerful against it? Looks like
    Meowmeow? LOL...(I think Secret Avengers may somewhat answer you question here...or was that Avengers?...Avengers with Thor and Protector on the cover).

I can't wait to hear this ep!
  • Options
    Meowmeow? LOL...(I think Secret Avengers may somewhat answer you question here...or was that Avengers?...Avengers with Thor and Protector on the cover).

I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

Brings up the question: did anyone read any of the crossovers? What happened in them?
  • Options
    Just so there is less misinformation out there, Tabula Rasa is not in Australia. It's in Montana and was created during the Dark Angel Saga in Uncanny X-Force.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    If the thread for this book is this exciting, I can't wait to read the book itself!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited June 2012

It was in Avengers. Meowmeow was able to absorb some of the power because of the uru its made of, so Protector built up some kind of apparatus to collect the energy when Thor thwaked the Phoenix with Meowmeow.
  • Options
    DrBravo2DrBravo2 Posts: 31
    edited June 2012
    Tabula Rasa isn't their old Australia base. It came from the recent Uncanny X Force arc where (spoiler) died. It figured into a recent Uncanny X Men story.
  • Options
    UrbalcloudUrbalcloud Posts: 42
    Regarding Avengers/X-Men, I've only read issues 1-3 (borrowed all) and although I plan to finish it, it's not really grabbing me. There's nothing especially wrong with it, but it just isn't that overly interesting. It doesn't feel very fresh to me.

However, that being said, everything else seems to be working the best it could. Lots of cool characters, big settings, wide-screen reveals, and some good fight scenes. It's very "popcorn movie." Maybe if I was more in the mood for that right now, I'd feel different.

Oh, yeah, the characterization is off every now and then, I think just about everyone's noticed that a little. I don't mind so much. That seems to happen when they gotta push the plot in a specific direction. It's an event book. It happens.

Regarding CGS, I first listened to the show from mid-2006 to mid-2007. A career change took me away from podcasts for several years, and I returned to the show this past winter, shortly after the debut of the New 52. (Returning to CGS also brought me back to the comic book hobby after being away for about a year.) Lately, I consume several episodes a day as I work, meaning I've spent A LOT of time in the back episodes. I've noticed, as the lineup of geeks has changed, the structure and flow of the show has changed as well. There are qualities I miss about old episodes (and geeks) but I still find much to love with almost every new episode. So, I hope you guys still have the interest to keep recording, because I (and surely others) are still very much interested in listening.

But seriously, Pants, stop apologizing. :-)
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Just so there is less misinformation out there, Tabula Rasa is not in Australia. It's in Montana and was created during the Dark Angel Saga in Uncanny X-Force.
    First of all, it's the end of the world, websites are coming to life!!

Second, if you post spoilers for recent issues can you please use the spoiler tags? I haven't read very much into the recent X-Force so getting it spoiled kind of stinks.

Third, the actual AvX book. I really don't read much Marvel anymore, but the way you guys talk about it (especially Pants) has me really jazzed. I normally listen to these types of episodes just to keep up on continuity, but I'm going to pick up these issues and read them myself. Thanks for doing the episodes guys!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    If the thread for this book is this exciting, I can't wait to read the book itself!
    that made me lol hard

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    First of all, it's the end of the world, websites are coming to life!!

Second, if you post spoilers for recent issues can you please use the spoiler tags? I haven't read very much into the recent X-Force so getting it spoiled kind of stinks.

I dislike being spoiled as much as anyone, but, to be fair, Tabula Rasa- in Montana- is a location featured in the books being discussed in the episode that this thread is about. So even someone as spoiler-sensitive as me feels this is sort of fair game. Especially as Comicbookdb didn't get into detail about how it got there or what happened in that X-Force story. Rather they just identified where that location (again, which is in AvX issues) is, and what story got it there.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was talking about Dr Bravo's post regarding the X-Force arc and a certain event, not Comicbookdb's post. Tabula Rasa being a place isn't much of a spoiler :)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was talking about Dr Bravo's post regarding the X-Force arc and Archangel, not Comicbookdb's post. Tabula Rasa being a place isn't much of a spoiler :)
    Ah. Got it. You clicked quote on Comicbookdb's post so that was confusing. But now I see what you mean, and I agree.

I don't think there are spoiler tags in the forum software, but I edited to cover it over.
  • Options
    I never noticed there aren't spoiler tags in the new forum, so thanks David, you are the best.

Also for all you original art fans Steve McNiven is selling the entire Cap vs. Gambit fight scene (10 pages) and variant cover as one lot that Jaime talked about. It's so awesome...but it's $8000. Yikes!
  • Options
    I never noticed there aren't spoiler tags in the new forum, so thanks David, you are the best.
    Yes, the lack of spoiler tags (unless I am just not finding them, which also could be) is a bummer. That used to be the easiest way.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Just finished the episode and I loved all of Pant's questions. I haven't read the X-men since around Uncanny 300. And thanks to the every inquisitive Pants I was able to understand what is going on. Great episode.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Brings up the question: did anyone read any of the crossovers? What happened in them?
    I was looking for some spoiler tags too...maybe this will help, shameless plug, (Click on image)

To give you an idea:

Avengers/Uncanny X-Men/Wolverine & X-Men: intercut stories that happen during AvX and is referenced by a few panels in the main book

New Avengers (25-26 so far): Kun Lun (home of the Immortal Weapons...ie Iron Fist) and how it has ties to the Phoenix Force.

Avengers Academy: Jr X-Men and Jr Avengers trying to figure out what to do (really good).

Secret Avengers: The space team trying to stop Phoenix but getting pulled into a Kree plot

X-Men Legacy: Rogue's team trying to keep Wolverine's school neutral and the students out of the fight.

You can also post on any questions on our forums.

I've also started mapping the event for my binding purposes.
    Regarding Avengers/X-Men, I've only read issues 1-3 (borrowed all) and although I plan to finish it, it's not really grabbing me. There's nothing especially wrong with it, but it just isn't that overly interesting. It doesn't feel very fresh to me.

However, that being said, everything else seems to be working the best it could. Lots of cool characters, big settings, wide-screen reveals, and some good fight scenes. It's very "popcorn movie." Maybe if I was more in the mood for that right now, I'd feel different.

I think this story works more for people who have been following Hope since her first appearance and really want to know what's her deal.
    I love when Pants asks questions. Not only does he help to inform the audience, he also spurs good conversation.

Ask away, Pantalones!

Bry
    Indeed ask away!

Oh and Jamie D you're right. Cerebro did gain independence and tried to replace the X-Men...this was during the Joe Kelly/Steve Segal days. Danger came much later. Cerebra was created during Morrison's run.
  • Options
    DrBravo2DrBravo2 Posts: 31
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was talking about Dr Bravo's post regarding the X-Force arc and a certain event, not Comicbookdb's post. Tabula Rasa being a place isn't much of a spoiler :)
    Sorry about that. I didn't even think anything of it since it's been 6 months and other story developments have made what I posted not-quite right (or at least the situation isn't as straight forward as what I posted).

I also didn't think people reading an X-Men crossover would be spoiler sensitive about an arc that preceded the crossover. Odds are, the crossover is going to reveal details about the prior arc.

But, again, sorry. I'll be more cautious next time.
  • Options
    Sorry about that. I didn't even think anything of it since it's been 6 months and other story developments have made what I posted not-quite right (or at least the situation isn't as straight forward as what I posted).

I also didn't think people reading an X-Men crossover would be spoiler sensitive about an arc that preceded the crossover. Odds are, the crossover is going to reveal details about the prior arc.

But, again, sorry. I'll be more cautious next time.
    It's ok, I guess you are right that it will probably be mentioned in the AVX series somewhere anyway. No worries it's all good.
  • Options
    The Iron Fist plot point dealt with a red headed female who was destined to become the Iron Fist AND tame the Phoenix Force. I think it's her red headedness that relates to the Phoenix...
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

Oh and Jamie D you're right. Cerebro did gain independence and tried to replace the X-Men...this was during the Joe Kelly/Steve Segal days. Danger came much later. Cerebra was created during Morrison's run.
    That was really my only problem with Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing. When he did the storyline with Danger I kept thinking "Wait, didn't they do this already?"