Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

R.I.P. Ray Bradbury

Ray Bradbury is gone.

:(

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Damn,Another great author has passed on.
  • Options
    Man, this really makes me sad. I have read so much of his work, and feel I have barely scratched the surface.

In college, I was turned on to his writing through a Short Story Literature class. We read The Veldt and the one about Jesuit Priests in a star-ship, visiting the star that supernova-ed to show the way to where Jesus was born (the title escapes me).

All totaled, I have probably read 20 or so of his books. My favorites are the Martian Chronicles, Dandelion Wine, and The Illustrated Man. Something Wicked This Way Comes is still one of my favorite movies.

I did not enjoy as much any of his modern writings beyond the Toyenbee Convector, although I don't know if that was because of him or me.

The high quality level of his prolific works is amazing and probably unparalleled. I'm gonna miss him.

Somewhere, out there, right now, he is sitting on the library steps of Green Town, Illinois, just as the winds of Autumn are beginning to stir up the crisp orange and brown leaves.

Or maybe it's Mars.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    currently djing at turntable.fm - daily theme room with today's theme being sci-fi.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    RIP Mr. Bradbury, thank you for for the great staries and keeping me from going insane in my high school lit classes.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    I remember reading an intro to one of his books where he said if he wrote every day, then he could cheat death by becoming immortal. Rest in peace Ray Bradbury, you will always be immortal.
  • Options
    BetaRayBenBetaRayBen Posts: 50
    He put magic into science fiction. I feel fortunate that he was one of the authors I was introduced to in junior high as I began to read everything sci-fi/fantasy that I could get my hands on.

Thank you Ray Bradbury.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    "Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories."
    — Ray Bradbury
  • Options
    The first of his works I read was Fahrenheit 451. I was reading it in class in high school and was informed by my teacher that the book was on the school system's banned list. And if I was caught with a copy I would suspended for 3 days. Around that time I also got to read the reprints of his short stories that EC comics published in their various horror/science fiction comics.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I definitely agree with the sentiments expressed by many.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Too many people dying too soon
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    He was 91, and while an argument can be made that anyone whose career leaves an indelible mark in its wake has died too soon, an argument can also be made that 91 is a ripe old age and a milestone that most will be lucky to achieve.
  • Options
    The first of his works I read was Fahrenheit 451. I was reading it in class in high school and was informed by my teacher that the book was on the school system's banned list. And if I was caught with a copy I would suspended for 3 days. Around that time I also got to read the reprints of his short stories that EC comics published in their various horror/science fiction comics.
    Ironic that THAT book, of all books, was banned.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    I was thinking the exact same thing.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I am admittedly underread in Mr. Bradbury's works, but what I have read I've loved. "There Will Come Soft Rains" is one of my most favorite short stories ever, even if it (along with The Day After and just generally being a kid in the 80s) is one of the reasons I still have nuclear war nightmares to this day.
  • Options
    I actually asked why it was banned and the reason I was given was this. "It might cause some students to get the wrong idea." Cause we all know we don't want our high school students to think. Sadly going to a public school in Mississippi,which has had the worst public school for over 20 years now, I learned that they care more about sports than the students actually learning. I had the same math teacher for my 3 years of high school.And every year on the first day she would tell us all "Show up and be quiet and you will get an A in this class." So I showed up everyday,put on my earphones and sat there and read a book.