Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1235 Talkback: Spotlight on Spider-Man in the Bronze Age

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited June 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
We continue to celebrate Spider-Man's 50th Anniversary with his appearances in the Bronze Age. Chris from Wild Pig Comics joins us again as we cover from Amazing Spider-Man #101 through #200. (1:28:45)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    TheZoloTheZolo Posts: 27
    Another brilliant episode. Most of my Spider-man reading has been Ultimate Spider-man, but I've gone back to read some of the landmark issue like "Death Of Gwen Stacey" and after this I plan on going back to find a few more of the issues mentioned. Love the Spotlights!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Brilliant episode. I'm only about an hour in but I've already gotten goose bumps twice! When Chris was describing the impact of the death of Gwen Stacy and again when Pants played the excerpt from the Power Records story. I forgot I had that Man-wolf record as a kid and loved it! Great great job. Cant wait to drive home and listen to the rest.
  • Options
    ajaxajax Posts: 5
    Because I know it's been bugging you guys, Garrett Morris is still working. He's a supporting player in Fox's "Two Broke Girls" starring Kat Dennings (from "Thor.")

Great episode!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    This was a great listen once again, guys. I'm glad you had Chris come back, it's great to hear someone who is really into Spidey and knows a lot of the history leading the discussion. It feels a lot more personal in a way that a rundown of important dates and events (thorough and informative though it may be) just can't match.

And I, too, love me some Spider-Mobile, especially because when Spidey utterly fails to drive it that first time, the Torch yells "Where did you learn to drive, Bangor, Maine?!?" Not sure why my home town gets insulted, but hey, we got a mention in the funny books. I'll take it!
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    Brilliant episode boys,have just been re-reading this era with the essentials.
    Think Conway is like Mantlo,very under appreciated.
  • Options
    love, Love, LOVE, L.O.V.E.D this ep. Chris, you sir are representing the comic geek in the room with the guys, your energy is on fire, and your knowledge is astounding, (or should I say Amazing?) Thank you all for this ep, I am learning so much.

Thank you to all the Geeks.

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Really loved this episode. Makes me want to go back and read some Bronze age tales.
  • Options
    poisonelf1poisonelf1 Posts: 40
    Loved the episode.
    Brought back some great memories of me and my buddies bying and reading a bunch of spidey comics in the early 80's at the local grocery store. I would get marvel tales.My friends would get amazing and spectacular and eventually web of. It was great reading the early stuff in marvel tales( at that time they had started reprinting from #1)and then reading new issues of amazing was so fun. we would get back issues when we went to the city or found some at yard sales or a friends friends friend had some to trade or sell. I always remembered the clone story it was great and the what if...? clone story and who could forget the spideymobile!!!
    Ahhhh good memories!
    Thanks a lot guys!!!!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I was always more of a DC reader, but I had quite a few Spidey comics growing up. And I probably had just as many Marvel Tales and Marvel Team-Ups as I did Amazings. Two of my favorite stories were Marvel Team-Ups: the two-parter with Captain Britain where they go up against Arcade, and the three-parter with Black Widow, Nick Fury, and Shang-Chi. I never had more than two or three consecutive issues of anything, which drove me crazy because I only had the first parts of those stories until years later when I was in college.

I didn't have the Power Record with Man-Wolf, but I did have the one with Dragon Man!

And you'll have to talk about Sal Buscema more in the next episode. He only did 20 issue of Spectacular when it launched, but he came back to the title in the ’80s and did a 100-issue long run.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    So is Mr. Conway's name pronounced like "Gary" or like "Jerry?" Because I heard different people say it different ways during this episode.

And btw, this was a great episode. Make sure to have Chris with you for all of these "Spider-Man in the..." episodes because he's adding quite a lot to each episode. And good luck on the Wild Pig re-opening, even though it means no Wild Pig convention this fall.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I had that Man-Wolf power record as a kid and it was great. I really need to track down all the comic book Power Records.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Loved the episode

You guys commented on how it would be impossible today to not be spoiled by what happened to Gwen Stacy but I gotta say it is not that hard. Just do not go to those sites.

When it came to what happened to Cap, I did not find out until I read the issues...two weeks after it came out.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Loved the episode

You guys commented on how it would be impossible today to not be spoiled by what happened to Gwen Stacy but I gotta say it is not that hard. Just do not go to those sites.

When it came to what happened to Cap, I did not find out until I read the issues...two weeks after it came out.

Well to be fair the clerk at my LCS let it slip as I was picking up my copy.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Ahh, the memories! Due to the sporadic distribution of the liquor and drug stores in my area of L.A. and a low budget for myself (due to youth and college, I was 14yrs to about 24yrs old), I always missed issues of my favorite comics. Amazing Spidey was just such a case. I think I had issues 100 to 108 straight through, but then I started missing them. I got that Spidey vs. the Hulk in Canada one, and then a couple of the Hammerhead ones...so, I missed #121, then I picked up #122. Wha----?!?! GWEN'S DEAD??? Y'know, I don't care what Conway or anyone says, I loved her as a character. She was supportive, smart, and Peter's guilt was already in their relationship because he couldn't save her father, who knew his secret, etc. I never got to actually read 121 except in the Essentials about 30 years later which I read off-the-rack in a bookstore somewhere. I think I was so upset that I didn't actually want to look for it. Anyway, I continued throughout this era with my sporadic reading. I think I actually have the dune buggy one. I do have #200...and like Jamie said it felt like a nice closure story. Marvel-Team Up: Yeah, it was a nice way to meet other characters from the Marvel universe. As for Spectacular Spidey, once again...I just have a few of those. Good episode guys! Thanks for joining in Chris!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Chris rock(s) :D
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    This was a great episode guys. I could listen to Chris talk about Spider-Man all day long and congrats on the re-opening of the Wild Gpig store, best of luck.

ASM #143 was the first issue Spider-Man comic I ever read. I was only two years old when it came out. My dad picked it up at a flea market when I was six. I was having a very hard time learning to read and he held on to some comics as an incetive to get me to learn and get better at it.

I've recently reread AMS from this issue going forward with my kids. It is just so much fun. This issue is always one the standout issues for me, Gerry Conway writing and Ross Andru did a terrific job on the art, the way he drew Paris is nothing short of amazing.

I'll also share again that it was through Spider-Man that I started standing up to bullies and helping others. I got some pretty bad bruises as a result of that but they were well earned I think.
  • Options
    wordballoonwordballoon Posts: 87
    edited June 2012
    This whole decade was my childhood years, from 5-14 so...

Mike, the popularity of the Spider-Buggy had nothing to do with the lack of any space toys to occupy our imaginations.

Toy cars were cool for decades, like hot wheels and matchbox, plus Corgi cars, slot racing cars model kits, etc.

If anything I think the energy crisis and enviromental concerns are what hurt the subsequent decades of kids loving cars. We were taught more about their negative impacts on society, and less about them just being cool.

And BTW, once again this post Lucas generation thinks there were no cool space toys before Star Wars? Tell that to the kids who grew up with Flash Gordon since the 30's or Star Trek 's 10 year love from toy fans before Star Wars ever hit the screen? The Trek mego's were a very hot toy a full 3 years before Star Wars.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    There are 3 words that describe this era for me: The Black Cat!

M
  • Options
    This whole decade was my childhood years, from 5-14 so...

Mike, the popularity of the Spider-Buggy had nothing to do with the lack of any space toys to occupy our imaginations.

Toy cars were cool for decades, like hot wheels and matchbox, plus Corgi cars, slot racing cars model kits, etc.

If anything I think the energy crisis and enviromental concerns are what hurt the subsequent decades of kids loving cars. We were taught more about their negative impacts on society, and less about them just being cool.

And BTW, once again this post Lucas generation thinks there were no cool space toys before Star Wars? Tell that to the kids who grew up with Flash Gordon since the 30's or Star Trek 's 10 year love from toy fans before Star Wars ever hit the screen? The Trek mego's were a very hot toy a full 3 years before Star Wars.
    I speak from my own experience. I grew up a Trekkie. My cousin and I taking turns playing Kirk/finegan fighting each other. But kids all around my area generally disliked space anything until star wars hit, and even that took a year or two to stick.
    Cops and robbers, cowboys, war were the thing to play. And cars were huge per star wars and post star wars.
    Trek and flash and buck and so on did not sweep a generation so thoroughly as star wars did-still does.
    Maybe it is where or how we grew up, but we craved vehicles for everything. Helicopters, choppers, cars, dragsters, vans, anything. But post sw we wanted spaceships. Any spaceships.

Look at some catalogs from back then. It's all there.

(ps, listened to a few weeks ago show yesterday and FYI space family Robinson was not based on the show, the show ripped it off. The comic came first :) )
  • Options
    mtk1966mtk1966 Posts: 5
    I had the Marvel Tales reprints in my youth and they introduced me to the vintage Amazing Spider-Man stories that absolutely hooked me into comics. I've since passed those books on to my kids and nephews so I've had to purchase the essential collections. So great re-reading these stories.
  • Options
    (ps, listened to a few weeks ago show yesterday and FYI space family Robinson was not based on the show, the show ripped it off. The comic came first )

I stand corrected Mike . Had no idea. Cool info!
  • Options
    (ps, listened to a few weeks ago show yesterday and FYI space family Robinson was not based on the show, the show ripped it off. The comic came first )

I stand corrected Mike . Had no idea. Cool info!
    I love you John!
    We should get a dune buggy and teamup, go driving round the nation like Route 66!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    such a great episode. Very informative and enjoyable. I've never actually read the Death of Gwen Stacey, just knew the 'legend' of it. Your episode makes me want to read it! :D
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    This episode was my wheelhouse. I was surprised when I finally pulled out and cataloged my collection that I didn't have as many ASM as I thought I did. "Where is that Punisher/Nightcrawler issue?". I loved Spider-man but recent events like many making Gwen a WHO-ore and OMD has taken me away from it. And I won't mention the new movie's ugly-ass costume. Thank goodness for New Avengers. But I guess that's a future discussion.

Great work on these episodes and congrats to Chris re-opening the store.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    This when I started reading comics...in fact, the reason I started buying Marvel was the Death of Gwen. One of the kids on the bus was talking about great Spider-Man was, and said that they had killed off his girlfriend.

I was interested, picked up the next issue of Spidey I saw (Marvel Tales #59) and brought it on the bus, pointing out that she was still alive. We ALL puzzled over this for a couple of months until we realized it was a reprint of the old stuff from the 60's. By then, I was hooked, reading the Bronze AND Silver Age at the same time.

I loved the Len Wein and Marv Wolfman runs, especially since Marv wasn't scared to make changes to the status quo. It's a damn shame his run was cut short, as I was looking forward to what he was building toward.

And Ross Andru was PERFECT for this time period. His art was grittier and darker than the Kane/Romita stuff that had come before as Spider-Man's world got darker and more dangerous.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    But he did love his elbows and knees sticking out!Took me years to appreciate his art,same with Kanes up the nose shot.
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    This when I started reading comics...in fact, the reason I started buying Marvel was the Death of Gwen.
    And this is the reason that I stopped buying Spidey, at least for a while. I had been reading (as a youngster) since issue #67 or so, while sitting in the barber shop or dentist's office, but didn't get into serious buying/collecting until issue #102. And, yes, I was probably in love with Gwen at the time! And then one day, with no warning at all, BAM!! She's dead! But she couldn't be! I was CERTAIN that she would "snap out of it" in the next issue! So what did I do? I MISSED issue #122 (ah, the days of the unreliable spinner rack and no pull lists!), so I didn't get to see how Norman died! Issue #123 started with Norman's dead body and Gwen's funeral. Oh the horror! I was so upset that I stopped buying the title... until nearly two years later when I took a glance at the spinner rack, for old time's sake, and saw GWEN ON THE COVER of issue #148 (she was tiny, but I spotted her from 15 feet away)! Suddenly, I had 20-25 back issues to track down, without comic shops, without the internet, without conventions near my rural home town... oh the horror!

Thanks for the memories, boys!
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Really enjoying this ep - about 1/3 of the way through. I loved the Romita/Gil Kane combination - one of the all time best ever. Kudos too for the Gerry Conway and Ross Andru love!

The comment about Andru's ability to draw every day things like rooms in an interesting way brought to mind the fact that if you look in the backgrounds of those early 70's Spidey's you'll see in several issues some billboards with writing - parts of words - and they were done by the background artist - his name is escaping me (and I can't seem to find it via google) - I want to say Tom Montilario, or something like that. So he put in parts of the phrase "Backgrounds by Tom Montilario" (or whatever his name is) throughout the cityscape. I remember figuring that out when I was around 12 or so and thinking how totally cool that was!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

Really enjoying this ep - about 1/3 of the way through. I loved the Romita/Gil Kane combination - one of the all time best ever. Kudos too for the Gerry Conway and Ross Andru love!

The comment about Andru's ability to draw every day things like rooms in an interesting way brought to mind the fact that if you look in the backgrounds of those early 70's Spidey's you'll see in several issues some billboards with writing - parts of words - and they were done by the background artist - his name is escaping me (and I can't seem to find it via google) - I want to say Tom Montilario, or something like that. So he put in parts of the phrase "Backgrounds by Tom Montilario" (or whatever his name is) throughout the cityscape. I remember figuring that out when I was around 12 or so and thinking how totally cool that was!

e
    L nny

Tony Mortello. He was, I believe, one of 'Romita's Raiders', a bullpen production artist who assisted with background inking.