Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

One step closer to 1960s Batman on DVD?

bleedingcool.com/2012/06/07/warner-bros-getting-ready-to-merchandise-the-heck-out-of-the-1960s-batman-tv-show/

It's not the DVDs, but it looks like some steps are taking place to clear up the rights, at least enough to let merchandising happen for now.

Comments

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I sure hope so...this is one of the few remaining old TV series I want to get my hands on.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    God, I hope so.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    At the Phoenix con they had the usual vendor who sells all the bootlegs. I stood there with the full 3-season run in my hand. Knowing it would be pretty poor quality. Knowing $50 was too much considering what the quality would be. Yet still considering it, because I just don't know that we'll ever see an official release of it.

I want to believe. Man I want to believe!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Oh, man, please oh please oh please let this finally happen.
  • Options
    At the Phoenix con they had the usual vendor who sells all the bootlegs. I stood there with the full 3-season run in my hand. Knowing it would be pretty poor quality. Knowing $50 was too much considering what the quality would be. Yet still considering it, because I just don't know that we'll ever see an official release of it.

If you're going to get bootleg copies of it, you might as well download it for free.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I taped the whole series off the Family Channel back in the early ’90s, but those VHS tapes are deteriorating a bit. I'll watch an episode on The Hub every now and then, but I wouldn't mind getting a DVD set. The worst part about the long wait is that there's hardly anyone left to do commentaries. I would have loved a Frank Gorshin or Vincent Price commentary track for their respective episodes.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I hope that one day this series and the Green Hornet tv show hit dvd. But until then I will have to make due with the dvds I made of each show.
  • Options
    I taped the whole series off the Family Channel back in the early ’90s, but those VHS tapes are deteriorating a bit. I'll watch an episode on The Hub every now and then, but I wouldn't mind getting a DVD set. The worst part about the long wait is that there's hardly anyone left to do commentaries. I would have loved a Frank Gorshin or Vincent Price commentary track for their respective episodes.
    They should just all get together and do the commentaries now and then sell them to whichever studio ends up with the rights.
  • Options
    They should just all get together and do the commentaries now and then sell them to whichever studio ends up with the rights.
    Didn't Adam West already record and release commentaries for every episode?

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Yeah, he did (I think it was season by season rather than episode by episode, though), but to be honest, I’m not all that interested in what he has to say. I'm more interested in hearing from the script writers, the guest-stars, the supporting cast, the directors, etc. Rudolph, Clark, and Waggner—the guys who directed the most episodes by far—are all dead. Napier, Hamilton, Repp, and Blake—the supporting cast—are all dead. Romero, Meredith, and Gorshin are all dead. Stanley Ralph Ross and Charles Hoffman—the two main writers—are dead. Like I said, there aren’t many of the key players left.
  • Options

Yeah, but I meant everybody else. The best commentaries usually have multiple people.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Man, I can't stand seeing the bootleggers at cons.

I want to call the FBI every time I walk past them.

Captain America would not approve!
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    SonofthorSonofthor Posts: 73
    I am way to young to have ever seen these when they came out but I do know that I will be at the store the moment a 60's Batman DVD comes out. I love the old film and have a huge need to watch the whole series.
  • Options

Man, I can't stand seeing the bootleggers at cons.

I want to call the FBI every time I walk past them.

Captain America would not approve!
    I really hate the bootleggers that are selling dvd-rs of stuff that is actually out on dvd. 2 years ago I saw a bootlegger selling dvd-rs of the original "V" tv series. And they wanted like 40 bucks. At that same time the legit dvd release of it was selling for 20 bucks.

For stuff that isn't out on dvd. I have bought bootlegs of them,and as soon as a legit dvd came out I would go buy that.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Wes

For stuff that isn't out on dvd. I have bought bootlegs of them,and as soon as a legit dvd came out I would go buy that.
    This is pretty much how I treat it - When Lucas releases the Star Wars Holiday Special or when the Krofft brothers get off their asses and give me Electra Woman & Dyna Girl: The Complete Series? Then I'll wag my finger at the bootleggers. Until then? I'll pony up the dough.

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    For me personally, one of the best things to come out of the internet has been the ability to download things that years ago would have required me buy from a bootlegger, something I never felt right doing.

Yes, it's still a legal gray area, but at least no one's profiting off of my desire to see or hear something that simply isn't available to me any other way.