Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

creating comics

I have what is currently a dream that i am trying to work into a plan to create a line of superhero comics. Currently i am working on the background and history of the world and more importantly the super powered individuals in it. As for the specific titles to be created I have a few ideas but would like to collaborate with writers and artists. This is not me wanting to self publish my ideas only, but a desire to create a single continuity super hero universe. I love comics have been reading them for decades and feel I may have something to contribute to the industry and fans. To be upfront and honest i am a normal guy, meaning i don't have a lot of money, and would be looking at kickstarter and good old fashioned borrowing to get things going if i assembled a team and the ball got rolling. There are, of course, no assurances that this would work but even if it does not, we would lose nothing but time and at least have a good time talking about comics. I am only looking for collaborators who are over 18 and have confidence in the seriousness and quality of their work. if you have any questions just ask

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @madtitan2112 : like the idea. Within the CGS community there are many who are capable of giving valuable input. Especially regarding the superhero genre. Good luck my friend.
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, if you tell some people an idea like this they just look at you funny.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Good luck. It'll be challenging for you, no doubt.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    It is a tough job for sure and an ambitious one, I have a background in both art and writing and it has taken me about two years to begin to flesh out a small GN... and I have shelved it because apparently a TV show is coming out soon based almost exactly on my concept. Super frustrating but regardless it is my story and work and even if it never sees a publisher I'll have a copy.

My best suggestion is to start small and with the most impact and intrigue you have. There are so many super heroes and so many more semi-anonymous ones so you really have to bring the A game right out of the gate to garner interest. Even if you can't draw knock out some basic thumbnails to get an idea down in pictures as well as words, that will make it easier for an artist to pick up and run with your ideas or at least have something aside from text. A short 3-10 page one-shot touching on something that makes your idea unique and set apart is the best start.
  • Options
    If anyone would be interested in writing a sort of audition piece or pointing me to their work that would be great. for guidelines you could try a short one shot type story. If you prefer marvel, Captain America, Spider-Man, Iron man, hulk, or daredevil. If DC is your thing superman, batman, wonder woman,or Flash or those characters as a team. Also in DC an interesting idea would be to take a Wildstorm Character that has not been used in the DCU yet, like Blacklash, and introduce them. It does not need to be a full issue if you do not have the time, but i would prefer it in script form and not prose.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    www.thugsonline.com
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78

I agree with Zhurrie, try starting a little smaller. Pick one of your characters in your universe and make it the best possible story then build on that.
  • Options
    I found this page earlier, it seems like a good resource so i thought i would share it here for everyone.

http://www.superheronation.com/
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Get your Kickstarter project/funding up and running first. See how much money you pull in before you approach creative talent.

Give your co-creators 50% of All Creative Rights and a decent contract and you should have no problem. Althoguh, if you're just 'assembling a team' and bankrolling the project...all the rights go to the creators.

Personally, I have no interest in being 'part' of someone else's concepts or ideas of bringing their 'dream' to life while I have plenty of ideas/dreams of my own.

But that's not to say there aren't people out there that can go along with you for the ride. best advice would be...get the funding first.
  • Options
    I'm not wanting to just have people come to work on my own concepts, but to make a new publishing entity. I want the individual creators to have creative autonomy within an editorial framework that will maintain the integrity of the world and continuity. As for getting kickstarter running i would like to have at least a few character sketches to show potential supporters first but quality artists usually want money upfront. so i either have to scratch up some cash or find an artist willing to get paid on the back end.
  • Options
    @madtitan2112 it is a hard row you are trying to hoe here, I know you probably do have grand ideas and probably some cool new takes on things even but to do what you are asking takes considerable time, money, effort, and industry experience even to pull off on a small scale. Image already has a solid model like this with a ton of steam behind it and a few other smaller publishers, I don't think now is a good time to try to be a competitor unless there was some serious backing and top talent. Who knows, you could get there even, but the best thing to do as myself and a few others have said is to start small and with as much of a bang as you possibly can if you really want to make a go of it. But focus is key, specialize, going more general from the start is a death sentence. Focus on the best one or two ideas you have and get something down on paper and out in hands and gauge the response. Seriously that is the best advice I can offer.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @zhurrie I think that is good advice.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    @zhurrie is quite right. And if/when you do move forward with this idea, you need to not only find artists and collaborators, you also need to have a business plan. You’re not talking about simply writing a comic script, you’re talking about being a publisher. As such you need to consider editing, proofreading, pagination, printing, distribution, promotion (including convention appearances), not to mention contracts and the related legal fees. All these things take time and money, and it’s not something you want to jump into lightly, especially if you have no experience in the publishing industry. As Zhurrie said, it’s best to start small. Gain some experience in how long things actually take, find out what your strengths are and what you may need help with, make as many contacts in the industry as you can, and build a solid business plan.

Given the state of the economy and the industry, it’s going to be a struggle even with a good business plan. Without one, you’ll be setting yourself up for failure.
  • Options
    I just want you to know too, no one here is trying to harsh your buzz. I worked in the media and press for a long time and still do some freelance work, it is not a business to try to even begin to tackle if you are posting here at all. I support almost exclusively indie and creator-owned comics and art and I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone that chooses to even create an ashcan.

If I were you and had limited resources and funds my approach would be this:

1. Hunt around Deviantart for an artist you like the style of that seems pretty much unknown, in fact find about 10-20.
    2. Be honest and ask if they have the time or interest.
    3. Gauge their response carefully because us artists are known for having bigger dreams and ideas than time or inspiration. (this is true, we're all guilty of it)
    4. Have my complete A game material in a concise and neat 1-3 page (so 6-18 panels) package to provide them with to sketch out. (sketch not finished work)
    5. If they actually produce anything and it is any good, then start discussing a small project of a 3-6 page finished piece.
    6. Either create it digitally or scan it and get it in front of anyone and everyone you can for free.
    7. Ask for honest feedback.
    8. If the responses are all positive and strong, create a Kickstarter and go back to all those same people and give them the link and ask them to share it/tell friends.
    26. See how it goes. :)
  • Options
    That is exactly my plan. i have been putting feelers out on deviantart and have no plans to run with just any material if i cannot produce quality i would rather produce nothing. I am just a believer in aiming high because that is the only way to achieve those goals. i know this would be quite a lot of hard work if it were to get going, I'm fine with that. I'd rather work extremely hard at something i love and fail than keep doing nothing but my 9 to 5 and when I'm 50 think that i should have done something. I am not a silly kid who is trying to play comic man, I am trying to start a small business. The odds are against me, I will probably fail, but people who do not try never succeed.
    I do appreciate all of the advise, and I know you are not attempting to discourage. I understand there a lot of foolish people who try to jump in to this or any industry without thinking. No, i do not have a lot of knowledge on the workings of the industry but this is my first step in trying to learn so i can make my mark. i expect the process to take quite some time, maybe years. I am looking for other aspiring writers and artists so that we can learn together, i believe that the best way to get what you want is to help others get what they want. On the business end, i am already looking into a business plan. if anyone knows a good source for industry data that would be great. your input has been great keep it coming.

P.S. sorry this is so wordy
  • Options
    @madtitan2112 good, I'm glad you took it as constructive, it is hard to convey tone in text and even harder to hear doubt or negativity especially about something you have so much passion and work into. I'm a verbose guy so no apology needed there either :)

Look at some successful small publishers and talk to them, often they are very similar to you and willing to share information or help. Independent press/publishers especially. Look at places like Drawn & Quarterly, and publisher "Twelve" (the book world but an amazing success story and excellent model), and the super small/indie comic publishers also.

Money is the big barrier. Advertising, shelf space, conventions, and the whole host of things listed above by @nweathington are all accurate and expensive to do even poorly. That is why using free and digital means like social media, kickstarter (although that is a 10% hit before taxes), forums, art forums, etc. is so important. They may be free but they require tons of time and effort to do well.

I have created, owned, and sold a couple businesses over the years both in the digital realm and traditional all stemming from passions. I'd never want to seem like I was trying to snuff out a dream, you can see that you are passionate and have an idea and sometimes that is all you need. Seriously my best luck to you, I don't really work in a style that lends itself to superhero work or else I'd offer to help you art-wise plus my time is usually tight with work, a family, and my own projects but I could give you some pointers or help on thumbnailing some stuff out or at least point you in some good directions.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I’m all for following your dreams, but you have a much better chance of success if you go in with your eyes wide open and have a game plan. It sounds like you’re taking the right approach, so I wish you the best of luck.

Besides deviantart.com, you might try LinkedIn and http://drawingboard.org/index.php in your search for collaborators. My writing is leading me to a place that probably wouldn’t mesh with what you’re trying to establish, but if you ever need editing or production help/advice I may be able to lend a hand.

• Options
    Just an update. I have heard from many writers, some published most are not. only a handful of artists have responded, this was kind of expected but I am still looking.
  • Options
    Just an update. I have heard from many writers, some published most are not. only a handful of artists have responded, this was kind of expected but I am still looking.
    As others have better explained than I could, and as I am sure you understand, the upfront and opportunity cost of artists collaborating with someone else, or publishing with someone, is much greater than the upfront and opportunity costs of a writer.

Simply put, with the exception of someone that writes and rewrites at an excruciating pace, it takes much longer to create a page then to script one.

Again, this is nothing you don't know, but I can only imagine that an artist that can actually afford to draw a comic has to make a very careful decision about who they get in business with (if they choose to not just do it all on their own).

At this early point- with no business plan that has been shared, with no funds yet raised, no specific proposal for a comic to be hired for or to join as a collaborator, and it is unclear from your posts whether you even have a proposal and scripts written yet (which, to be fair, you could be doing without an artist and prior to any fundraising)- I think you have to stop and look at it from the artists point of view: What are you bringing to the table that would make them choose you? I don't say that to be discouraging or cruel. I am just trying to say what it looks like when I imagine myself as an artist looking at the information you've shared so far.

I know you mentioned wanting to have art to use as part of the Kickstarter, but that might be an overhead price you would have to eat to get things going. If you have a concept, and you need an artist to work with on character designs, or even just some promotional key art piece (that may not even feature a character design yet) to accompany a proposal, then it might be worth hiring someone to do so. So that when you approach someone, or catch someone's interest, you can show them that you have done everything you possibly can on your end to be ready to collaborate.

Because otherwise-- (and of course comparisons to other media are never perfect, but I will choose a media I am familiar with)-- at the moment it is like saying you want to write and produce a series of short films and you are looking for a director to collaborate with. But you don't have past films to refer to, there is not a script yet, only a genre. But you want a director to sign on and shoot some promos on their own dime to help get the fundraising going because the series of short films isn't budgeted yet.

Now-- I am not saying you couldn't find a skilled director who would be up for that. But you can imagine they might be entertaining offers for projects that are already further along in development, you know what I mean?

Again-- I don't mean to discourage. In fact the opposite. What I would encourage you to do, before experiencing any rejection or apathy in the process of recruiting collaborators, is to first do any and everything you can do without an artist. Write your script. Make your designs the best you can. Don't treat any of what you come up with as your babies, because a good collaborator can and will bring ideas to the project that will change things and you have to be ready to "kill your darlings" as they say. But before, or alongside, seeking collaborators, you can be doing all the work that you can do. So that when you hear from the right person, or meet an interested person at a con, you have a fully worked out and professionally formatted proposal to show. Show that you are as serious about working hard at this as you want them to be.
  • Options
    I am doing most of that. I have posted more of my plans on other forums, but no one on this one has shown as much interest in getting involved. I am working on one script for a single hero book, plotting a team book, and working out the history of the world in general. I am also Researching the business plan and am wanting to meet with a s.c.o.r.e. counselor and was also thinking of seeking out the advice of my business professor (last semester). As for seeing the stories as "my baby" I agree, that is foolish, you must be willing to take criticism in order to grow and do the best work possible. But, when it comes to telling my plans, I don't feel that putting specifics on a forum page is the best way to go. If people want to know what I am doing they need to contact me, then if I feel that they are serious I will give specifics as they are needed. Anyway, Thanks for the comments and keep them coming, they are appreciated.
  • Options
    I am doing most of that. I have posted more of my plans on other forums, but no one on this one has shown as much interest in getting involved. I am working on one script for a single hero book, plotting a team book, and working out the history of the world in general. I am also Researching the business plan and am wanting to meet with a s.c.o.r.e. counselor and was also thinking of seeking out the advice of my business professor (last semester). As for seeing the stories as "my baby" I agree, that is foolish, you must be willing to take criticism in order to grow and do the best work possible. But, when it comes to telling my plans, I don't feel that putting specifics on a forum page is the best way to go. If people want to know what I am doing they need to contact me, then if I feel that they are serious I will give specifics as they are needed. Anyway, Thanks for the comments and keep them coming, they are appreciated.
    And, of course, putting the specifics or the whole proposal out on a public forum would not be wise. But without naming the details even letting a potential collaborator know you have the sort of things you mention in this post would make for a better hook. Because, to be fair, if you look back at your initial post on this forum, there wasn't a lot of clarity about how far along in the development and business formation process you are.
  • Options
    That's where a single page, just simple thumbnailed, of something super cool or unique speaks volumes. You don't have to go around posting the whole history/world/ethos you just say "hey I got this idea, I have a history/world/ethos, here is a little teaser if you have interest hit me up." and you will get way more bites on your line.

When I worked in gaming if I had just a nickel for every person that shared their amazing game idea with me I'd be retired. It is tedious to listen to or care about and usually not worth even 2 minutes of my time let alone the hours and days of my life probably wasted this way. If someone shows me a still mock-up screenshot of something super unique I would get excited and care to hear them out.

As an artist, I can be directly honest and tell you that right off the bat I turned off because it seemed sprawling and grandiose and way more time than I could ever give to some unknown project even if it was awesome. But had I seen a page or two of something that grabbed me and was real, I'd have probably cared more... slick/clean superhero-y stuff isn't my art style so it probably wouldn't have been for me but I may have been apt to pass it past some friends/associates that do that kind of work.
  • Options
    @madtitan2112 have you spoken to any small press publishers yet? This will help you more than you think. Most of them are open to helping others. Do some research and get involved.
  • Options
    If you need a writer, let me know
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    I'll throw in my 2¢ as well.

Whoever you work with, make sure you can trust them. Make sure you work well with them, and are on the same page creativity-wise. Do everything in your power to surround yourself with QUALITY people. Not just skilled, but trustworthy, decent people.

And as everyone else has said, try a small project first, to see if you mesh well with the other writers/artists.
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    What Mr. Bryant said.