Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comic Geek Speak - MasterPod Theater

About 2 months ago I sent every member of the CGS podcast an email.. I didn't get a single response so I thought I'd bring my idea to the PEOPLE!

I think it would be AWESOME to hear our favorite podcasters dedicate an episode of the CGS podcast to a comic book reading. We could find a book (maybe vote on the forums) and have @BryDeemer and The Rogues Gallery read it... we'd need a narrator and voice actors for each character in the book. If they wanted to get fancy they could find some background music and cool sound bites for the onomatopoeia in the books etc.. It could be like CGS Power Records!

I don't know the legalities of reading a copyrighted book on a podcast, but considering the friends the guys have in the business I'm sure we could find a willing party pretty easily if DC and Marvel books are off the table I'm sure an Indie book would LOVE the exposure.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Brilliant! Shit ton of work for other people to do to coordinate and pit together but sounds like it would be fun to listen to later.

Back in the day I used to put a cassette player up to the tv speaker to make audio versions of my favorite tv shows. I musta listened to Gauda Prime the last episode of Blakes 7 several dozen times. And Big Finish has made a cottage industry out of their Who stuff.

Sure. Work monkeys! work for my amusement!
  • Options
    TheZoloTheZolo Posts: 27
    edited June 2012
    Is it really a ton of work to have 5 people sit in a room and read from a comic? :) Maybe even do it in collaboration with http://www.dcbservice.com/ and we could all order the book to read along at home.. When you hear this sound (BEEP) turn the page. HaHa.

I hope everyone knows I fully acknowledge how much FREE entertainment the boys already give us and how much of their time they dedicate to us all. This was just a fun little idea I had.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    It's a fun idea, but doesn't an audio adaptation leave behind arguably the most essential element of a comic? That is what i have never understood about the Graphic Audio adaptations of comics. It is a visual medium, and the stories- if they used the medium well- would not work without the visuals. I think it would be time better spent on something like audio drama which is written towards of the strenghts of an all-audio medium.

(Which reminds me- I do think the guys still have Marty's unproduced radio drama script for The Crusaders...)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    What David D said.

Ever wonder why the the 70's Fanatstic Four radio show only made it to thirteen episodes? They were direct audio adaptations and as much I love listening to those, they're not very good. If it were attempted in the 60's instead of the 70's it may have had more success but then you wouldn't have Bill Murray as Johnny Storm.

I like the idea, but adapting something to audio from a visual medium like comics or television doesn't always work well compared to original material made for audio in mind.
  • Options
    TheZoloTheZolo Posts: 27
    edited June 2012
    Nevermind.. Looks like it's already been done. Hollywood Babble-On #43 (July 25th 2011) Babble-On ComicCon Theater. http://smodcast.com/episodes/babble-on-comiccon-theatre/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32i4rQ3mCmM