Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mark Waid's Thrillbent.com

So, six weeks into Insufferable and the new Thrillbent.com site what do you think?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Thanks for reminding me of that project. Totally slipped my mind. Had a glimpse around the site and was intrigued. Guess I will have a closer look.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    It is really fascinating. Waid has said before that in a print comic he can only surprise you in the upper left panel of the left hand page. That isn't the case with digital comics. He is playing with panel reveals to heighten drama and seeing what can be done in that medium. Almost like Snyder's Batman #5 explored the comic medium ( a movie couldn't make you feel as lost and confused as that issue did).
  • Options
    Posted by Mark Waid on Jun 12, 2012 in Digital, Thrillbent | One Comment
    Thrillbent has been up about six weeks. Several Forum members, fellow webcomics creators and Twitterers have asked about some of the site stats, so FWIW, here’s what we’ve seen.  This will be dull for most of you but spellbinding to data nerds like myself, trust me.

On average, visitors spend 3 minutes, 10 seconds per visit to Thrillbent. That sounds about right to me. That’ll increase as we increase content.

Sixty-one percent of our traffic is referral traffic. Most of it comes from this site, then from Facebook, then Reddit, then…then…God help me and may He have mercy on your souls…industry cesspool Bleeding Cool. Step up your game, Comics Alliance! You, I like!

Fully half our traffic is viewed at 768 x 1024 resolution (iPads). Another quarter of our visitors view Thrillbent at 320 x 480 (split evenly between Androids and iPhones), and the rest of you are all over the map. One of you tried viewing it at 480 x 266 on what I can only presume is a repurposed Philco television set.

Sixty-four percent of our traffic is from the U.S, 8% from the U.K., 7% from Canada, and then in diminishing order, Brazil (!), Australia, France, Italy, Germany, Ireland and Mexico. Brazilians love Thrillbent.

Outside of the places on Earth from where no one’s (yet) bothered to look for us, the record for least amount of time spent on our site goes to Bicske, Hungary–one guy swung by for 16 seconds. He wouldn’t last long in Brazil.

Someone explain Brazil to me. This is fascinating.
  • Options
    I love the webcomic so far. I wonder how he's going to handle a print version?
    I don't even know if he is. It may be digital as its own medium or possibly, more panels would need to be added in a print version to recreate the feel of the overlapping images that happen in the digital panels.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    i missed this, just read the first issue, and that is pretty darn cool

work day probably just took a nosedive though
  • Options
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    A funny thing about the Brazil bit is that it happens a lot, most often it is because some part of the URL or prominent content is a word in Portuguese that is getting hit on. Way back in the early days of the internet I had a site with ROM dumps from some old arcade systems and chips and Brazil was off the charts in my logs, it turned out it was because a bunch of Portuguese words just so happened to be formed from some of the filenames and data.
  • Options
    Wow! What a unique piece of knowledge. I'd go to the site and share that if I were you.