Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Pixelstrips.com - Yes I'm finally updating the site. Need Your Advice.

Just getting back on the boards, like the new look.

If you've never heard of it, Pixelstrips.com is a webcomic site that I started a while back. It's been in need of a face lift and change for a while, and that's going to happen this summer. Very excited.

I've finally found a developer that will work for what I can pay him. I've been working on graphics and designs, content for pages, how to attract advertisers, and how to attract artists. So here I am, back to the first place I started talking about Pixelstrips.com so long ago. I was actually the first sponsor on a CGS episode. :)

My questions are few, but important and I hope I can get your feedback.

Would you want to be able to buy digital copies of comics from the site in PDF form. If so what would you want to pay for, say, an 8 page story, a 10 page story? Not sure if I'm going this route. But its an idea.

If you signed up as an artist on the site, would you like your own blog space to post updates and news about yourself and comic?

What do you think a "webcomic" site should be all about. What do you think about when you think webcomic community?

So thanks for looking at the post, I really appreciate it. I hope that some of the amazing creators on the site will want to be apart of the new Pixelstrips.com. Email me if you would like to be on the site. I've worked on a lot of webcomics and yes, they don't make you a ton of cash, but all the breaks I've gotten in comics seem to stem from people I've meet just creating for the fun of it.

I want the site to be fun and full of creative people sharing ideas and stories. Like a TED.com but for comics. I know I can count on this community for some lively feedback. Thanks again.

Kevin Volo
kevinvolo at gmail.com
www.enigmamediagroup.com
www.pixelstrips.com

Best Answer

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Answer ✓
    Would you want to be able to buy digital copies of comics from the site in PDF form. If so what would you want to pay for, say, an 8 page story, a 10 page story? Not sure if I'm going this route. But its an idea.

Wun dowwah! For "unproven" creators and titles you almost have to be a drug dealer. Give that first one away for free, charge for the next one, etc. Being online is all about building the fanbase. That's what keeps the independent artist alive - fans who'll buy your stuff, pre-order it, come see you at conventions, etc. For an unknown or new title, I wouldn't pay more than a dollar for a PDF. You might be able to pull off a first issue for a buck, 2nd issue and ongoing for two bucks, but that's as maybe. If the first issue isn't strong, nobody will come back for issue 2.

If you signed up as an artist on the site, would you like your own blog space to post updates and news about yourself and comic?

You used to host Thugs!, and yes, having a place to promote the book, your appearances, etc, would be ideal. Any more, once you get into a webcomic, you want to know more about the creative team behind it, and you end up becoming as much a fan of the person holding the pencil as much as the things he or she is creating.

What do you think a "webcomic" site should be all about. What do you think about when you think webcomic community?

Idealistically - a community of like-minded artisans promoting each other's work through praise, links, and overall support. Pessimistically - a backstabbing bunch of bitter "I Got Mine" artists who look at any and all newcomers as encroachers on their territorial pissings. Realistically - a mismash of the those two paradigms. Fact is, anyone with an internet connection, a pencil and a scanner can have a webcomic. Sites that conglomerate them, like pixelstrips, are nice because there's strength in numbers and if someone goes to check out one particular strip, others can benefit from the residual traffic. And with Mark Waid stepping into the ring, the big guns have finally taken notice, so the rest of us have to push up our game.

Answers

• Options
    kevinvolokevinvolo Posts: 70
    I totally agree about the pricing, was just looking for feedback. It's always tricky, trying to figure out how a site will attract artists to want to be on board. I was looking at selling collected works, or giving them the tools to sell their titles.

But yes, in the end I think its about building a space where like minded people can tell stories and be creative. That's what I want it to be. The guys that do PVP have a great webcomics book out and I recommend it to anyone I talk to. It stresses the art first, the stories, then any kind of monetary reward if any. But when building a site you want to try to add functionality for things down the road.

I think about all the cool stuff that's come from this site and am amazed. Well I think this post is off to a nice start. Thanks Torchsong. And yep, I remember Thugs. :)
  • Options
    Well it's official. I signed the contract with the web developer and sent him a bunch of files. The new Pixelstrips.com is officially under construction. I don't have an ETA, I was shooting for September, but looks like it will be a pre-Xmas relaunch. Which is cool with me, I get to make sure all the new bells and whistles work.

There will be a new submissions area on the site, but I welcome any submissions before we go live. You can just email me at the address below.

The site will be quite a bit different in look and the user interface is pretty slick and simple. I'll post a few pics this week on the home page look. I need to tweak it a bit but its 90% there. :)

Very excited, Pixelstrips.com is a sort of dream site of mine, its creative and fun and I really want to make it shine. I hope with your help I can. The developer I have working on it is fantastic and I cannot wait to see what he does with my designs.

So please submit and look for more news to come. If you have an questions please email. Also if you are looking to advertise please email for rates. I hope to get the site paying for itself at some point, and advertisers are key to that. Thanks for your support.

Kevin Volo

kevinvolo at gmail.com