Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    What "depth" was there to mos as a whole or to its version of Clark Kent? Sure they focussed (obsessed) on a different angle of the character but that's it. And it's already been argued over whether or not it was right, necessary or done "well" (which I've proclaimed not in my opinion). But
    It's not like this version explored multiple facets of the character or numerous aspects of the idea. Clark was a brooding conflicted kid who grew into a brooding conflicted adult, who became a (slightly less) brooding conflicted (cough) "hero".
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Geez do you get some kind of text messages when this thread gets a response? How much is DC paying you @Matt?

LOL

Its possible!
  • Options
    batlaw said:

What "depth" was there to mos as a whole or to its version of Clark Kent? Sure they focussed (obsessed) on a different angle of the character but that's it. And it's already been argued over whether or not it was right, necessary or done "well" (which I've proclaimed not in my opinion). But
    It's not like this version explored multiple facets of the character or numerous aspects of the idea. Clark was a brooding conflicted kid who grew into a brooding conflicted adult, who became a (slightly less) brooding conflicted (cough) "hero".

We got to see a different angle on Kent.? Similar to what was done in Smallville. Being a superman has its burdens. We got to see that being an alien with super powers isn't roses & sunshine everyday.

When you were growing up, you've never felt like an outcast? I have. I also know what's its like to have found my place in the world.

So, Kent should've gone from being lost most of his life to doing a standup routine at the Chuckle Hut after discover who he is? I expect to see a more lighter hearted Kent in BvS: DoJ. Its been 2 years since the invasion.

Kent saved the world & stopped the villain. I'd say that's what a hero does. So no cough needed. Its there.

M
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

I haven't seen anything remotely "heroic" much less "super" about the MOS. To top it off, he sulks, doesn't smile, is petulant and altogether unlikeable. MOS seems sort of like the kind of film a person who prefers Batman over Superman would've made - much like @Matt which explains his diehard defense of a clearly flawed and poorly received / reviewed movie.

I'm tired of being told how "if you don't like this movie you just don't get it." I've concluded that the movie is "meh" and Snyder is out of his depth, as usual. I can't be convinced otherwise anymore than you could talk me into liking food that I've just tasted and not liked.

"He doesn't smile"? I can think of the scenes, yes, multiple(!), when he smiled.

Also, to back up your point about prefering Batman, I fall in that camp too, with Matt. But I also have loved Superman since I was very young. They run a very tight race at #1 & #2.

What's a recent movie that I didn't like, and even thought, held my opinion, that it was really just not a very good movie?... how about Gladiator (over 10 years, not that recent, but oh well). It was pretty popular and I think won best picture Oscar. And I think I only saw it once after it did win that. That's hype possibly ruining a movie. But there were cliche issues, if I remember correctly. Anyway, I'm fine with someone telling me I just don't get it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I prefer my entertainment to be so well done that I don't feel compelled to make excuses for it or defend it to those that have similar tastes. Otherwise I'm content with liking what I like without bashing those that disagree with me.

I'm not entertained by a confused, maladjusted, brooding, grunge influenced, conflicted super powered alien that throws abandon to the wind when fighting among innocents and cares nothing about secretly destroying the property of those he gets mad at and then is willing to kill when he thinks he's run out of options.

I'll concede that MoS is an improvement over Superman Returns, or Superman 3 and 4, but as far as heroic portrayals goes I'm still a bigger fan of Reeve's interpretation.

I just didn't like Kal-El in this movie - at all. You can eat all you want because I pass and was not entertained.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Matt said:

Gee, THIS is what it feels like to the 60s Batman series!

I guess some people only want one version of the character; with minimal depth.

M

If that were true, we'd all like this film a lot more, because I don't think the characterizations for most of the characters in it exceeded minimal depth.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Matt said:

We got to see a different angle on Kent.? Similar to what was done in Smallville. Being a superman has its burdens. We got to see that being an alien with super powers isn't roses & sunshine everyday.

Except that Smallville actually succeeded in presenting that angle.
    Matt said:

Kent saved the world & stopped the villain. I'd say that's what a hero does. So no cough needed. Its there.

M

In this instance, it's the sort of statistic that deserves an asterisk. "He saved the world and stopped the villain -- but he had to kill the villain to do it."
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Matt said:

Except that Smallville actually succeeded in presenting that angle.
    Matt said:

M

In this instance, it's the sort of statistic that deserves an asterisk. "He saved the world and stopped the villain -- but he had to kill the villain to do it."
    10 seasons v. 2hr movie. I would hope Smallville could present it better.

You mean like Kent did in Superman 2 & 4?!

M
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Matt said:

Gee, THIS is what it feels like to the 60s Batman series!

I guess some people only want one version of the character; with minimal depth.

M

If that were true, we'd all like this film a lot more, because I don't think the characterizations for most of the characters in it exceeded minimal depth.
    Sometimes I forget that is new & different isn't good. Could be my Alzheimer's setting in.

Anyone else find the irony in how I've had to endure posts telling me the West version of Batman wasn't crap; how it was just different. NOW, I'm the one saying that about Man of Steel!

M
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I haven't seen anything remotely "heroic" much less "super" about the MOS. To top it off, he sulks, doesn't smile, is petulant and altogether unlikeable. MOS seems sort of like the kind of film a person who prefers Batman over Superman would've made - much like @Matt which explains his diehard defense of a clearly flawed and poorly received / reviewed movie.

I'm tired of being told how "if you don't like this movie you just don't get it." I've concluded that the movie is "meh" and Snyder is out of his depth, as usual. I can't be convinced otherwise anymore than you could talk me into liking food that I've just tasted and not liked.

This film had so much potential and top-shelf special effects but no heart. So many confusing decisions by Snyder too, from the truck stop cowardice, to that Temple of the Dog tune, to bearded Superman, and the list goes on.

I agree with @David_D and @WetRats on this thread completely. If Superman 2's bully scene at the end gives license to make Superman an immature, classless revenge-seeker, then I have nothing but pity for the fans of these "modern" heroes that are sadly not worth looking up to.

Didn't you want an explanation for Xavier's return? You don't want an explanation, you do want one. I'm confused. If you don't want to hear about the movie in a positive perspective, you don't have to look in this thread. There's no gun to the head scenario.

I'd say all those people he saved in the first 1/2 of the movie as he was wondering Earth & the whole world would disagree Kent wasn't heroic or super.

There's plenty of heart. From The El's to the Kents' love & protection of Clark. You don't have to like it, but its there.

Who poorly reviewed/received it? Rotten Tomatoes?!

You forgot "non-manscaping" & "beer drinking" to your list. I'd subtract bearded, because he's been bearded in the comics before. From Krypton, burden of being Kent (remember that Five for Fighting song?), the beard, destruction of property, villains' deaths, Kryptonian attack on Earth, etc. How much have actually been pulled from Donner & Byrne's stuff?

Maybe we shouldn't put a 'super man' on a pedestal, & put ordinary people on a hero's level.

M
  • Options

I prefer my entertainment to be so well done that I don't feel compelled to make excuses for it or defend it to those that have similar tastes. Otherwise I'm content with liking what I like without bashing those that disagree with me.

I thought we were having a conversation here.

I'm not "bashing" anyone, am I?
  • Options
    Finally got a chance to rewatch this again. Some really great stuff that gets lost when only focusing on what "it wasn't"

No super heroics?
    Oil rig
    Smallville fight
    World Engine destruction, even though it weakens him
    Fight with Zod

No saving people?
    Saved people traveling the world searching for his purpose
    Saved kids on the bus
    Saved Lois
    Saved military personnel
    Saved the planet

No heart?
    Love shown by both Kent's parents
    Perry & Lumbar saving Jenny
    The scene with Kent as a boy with a red cloth

No smiles?
    Learning to fly
    Meeting Lois
    Interrogation scene
    Talking down to the military at the end
    "Lois Lane. Welcome to the Planet" "Glad to be here, Lois."

No humor?
    Bits with Lois
    Bits with Perry

Crappy Pa Kent?
    How about the bully scene when Kent didn't fight, but admitted he wanted to. Pa asked him "and then what?"
    Pa teaching Kent when & how to use his powers
    Telling Clark he's going to change the whole but not ready for what it'd mean for him
    Pa's death to sacrifice himself to still protect his son

Leveled a city?
    Actually a couple buildings & sections; none of which showed to have people present

Murdered Zod?
    Well, that's another site where people don't know what murder is, BUT Zod clearly stated there was only 1 way this way going to end with the death of one of them
    Plus, didn't he technically 'find another way' with the Kryptonians that resulted in their black hole deaths?

Its all there.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

Finally got a chance to rewatch this again. Some really great stuff that gets lost when only focusing on what "it wasn't"

No super heroics?
    Oil rig
    Smallville fight
    Fight with Zod

No saving people?
    Saved kids on the bus
    Saved Lois
    Saved military personnel
    Saved the planet

No heart?

No smiles?
    Learning to fly
    Meeting Lois
    Interrogation scene

No humor?
    Bits with Lois
    Bits with Perry

Crappy Pa Kent?
    How about the bully scene when Kent didn't fight, but admitted he wanted to. Pa asked him "and then what?"
    Telling Clark he's going to change the whole but not ready for what it'd mean for him

Leveled a city?
    Actually a couple buildings & sections; none of which showed to have people present

Murdered Zod?
    Well, that's another site where people don't know what murder is, BUT Zod clearly stated there was only 1 way this way going to end with the death of one of them
    Plus, didn't he technically 'find another way' with the Kryptonians that resulted in their black hole deaths?

Its all there.

M

Lipstick on a pig. Sure, he has to do some of those things or even you'd say it wasn't a Superman film.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

No super heroics?
    Oil rig
    Smallville fight
    Fight with Zod

No saving people?
    Saved kids on the bus
    Saved Lois
    Saved military personnel
    Saved the planet

No heart?

No smiles?
    Learning to fly
    Meeting Lois
    Interrogation scene

No humor?
    Bits with Lois
    Bits with Perry

Crappy Pa Kent?

Leveled a city?

Murdered Zod?

Its all there.

M

Lipstick on a pig. Sure, he has to do some of those things or even you'd say it wasn't a Superman film.
    That's a little harsh to call Kent. He's never been one of my favorite characters, but I wouldn't call him a pig. Just showing how its all there. Whether you agree with the presentation is subjective. Objectively, these are all in the movie.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Finally got a chance to rewatch this again.

It's been on HBO and/or one of the other premium channels for the past couple months, and I watch at least a few minutes, sometimes more, everytime I see it's on.
  • Options

Matt said:

It's been on HBO and/or one of the other premium channels for the past couple months, and I watch at least a few minutes, sometimes more, everytime I see it's on.
    It's been on my Blu-ray rewatch list. I wanted to squeeze the new RoboCop & Stripes in first. Thankfully, the Sox are in the west coast this weekend.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Matt said:

No super heroics?
    Oil rig
    Smallville fight
    Fight with Zod

No saving people?
    Saved kids on the bus
    Saved Lois
    Saved military personnel
    Saved the planet

No heart?

No smiles?
    Learning to fly
    Meeting Lois
    Interrogation scene

No humor?
    Bits with Lois
    Bits with Perry

Crappy Pa Kent?

Leveled a city?

Murdered Zod?

Its all there.

M

Wait wait wait. Have you been staunchly defending this movie when you had only seen it once? That's commitment.

I normally don't praise or defend a movie unless I've seen it twice. I always feel like the first time through is hard to truly know how I feel. For instance the first time I saw XMen First Class I loved it. Second time I hated it. I've seen MOS a half dozen times. I still dig it.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Matt said:

Matt said:

It's been on my Blu-ray rewatch list. I wanted to squeeze the new RoboCop & Stripes in first. Thankfully, the Sox are in the west coast this weekend.

M
    Sidebar! Did you watch Robocop? I saw it in theaters. My expectations were low.

It didn't meet them.
  • Options
    Funny mentioning the new robocop in this thread. I've just now seen it myself and almost immediately I was comparing it in ways to mos. though obviously mos isn't technically a remake, the new robocop is another good example. It wasnt unwatchable or unentertaining, but it too was just "empty".
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    You don't want me to list every reviewer that poorly reviewed the movie, it doesn't matter, but it is factual that there were plenty. The fact that Rotten Tomatoes aggregates the reviews is beside the point. There also seems to be many here that thought it could be better. I'm sure there are some folks here that will defend any movie or tv property DC puts out, I'm not in that camp. Green Lantern was a mess and MoS was better than that.

As for Xavier, yes - I expect continuity issues to be explained or resolved. If Zod shows up in Batman V Superman, I will expect an explanation.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    Matt said:

No super heroics?
    Oil rig
    Smallville fight
    Fight with Zod

No saving people?
    Saved kids on the bus
    Saved Lois
    Saved military personnel
    Saved the planet

No heart?

No smiles?
    Learning to fly
    Meeting Lois
    Interrogation scene

No humor?
    Bits with Lois
    Bits with Perry

Crappy Pa Kent?

Leveled a city?

Murdered Zod?

Its all there.

M

You can have my rewatch, too ;)
  • Options

You don't want me to list every reviewer that poorly reviewed the movie, it doesn't matter, but it is factual that there were plenty. The fact that Rotten Tomatoes aggregates the reviews is beside the point. There also seems to be many here that thought it could be better. I'm sure there are some folks here that will defend any movie or tv property DC puts out, I'm not in that camp. Green Lantern was a mess and MoS was better than that.

As for Xavier, yes - I expect continuity issues to be explained or resolved. If Zod shows up in Batman V Superman, I will expect an explanation.

I'm a pretty big DC fan, but I didn't care for Green Lantern. Only saw it once in the theater.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

No super heroics?
    Oil rig
    Smallville fight
    Fight with Zod

No saving people?
    Saved kids on the bus
    Saved Lois
    Saved military personnel
    Saved the planet

No heart?

No smiles?
    Learning to fly
    Meeting Lois
    Interrogation scene

No humor?
    Bits with Lois
    Bits with Perry

Crappy Pa Kent?

Leveled a city?

Murdered Zod?

Its all there.

M

Wait wait wait. Have you been staunchly defending this movie when you had only seen it once? That's commitment.

I normally don't praise or defend a movie unless I've seen it twice. I always feel like the first time through is hard to truly know how I feel. For instance the first time I saw XMen First Class I loved it. Second time I hated it. I've seen MOS a half dozen times. I still dig it.
    Nope. Once in the theatre & then twice the week it was released on Blu-ray. So it's been 6-7 months since I got to watch it again.

M
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

M
    Sidebar! Did you watch Robocop? I saw it in theaters. My expectations were low.

It didn't meet them.
    Yes. I saw it in the theatre & bought it the day it was released. I enjoyed it the same way I enjoyed Rob Zombie's Halloween.

M
  • Options
    batlaw said:

Funny mentioning the new robocop in this thread. I've just now seen it myself and almost immediately I was comparing it in ways to mos. though obviously mos isn't technically a remake, the new robocop is another good example. It wasnt unwatchable or unentertaining, but it too was just "empty".

Actually, I found the opposite. I felt more like it showed being human is more then the body. In the root of things, free will will survive.

M
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    David_D said:

Matt said:

No super heroics?
    Oil rig
    Smallville fight
    Fight with Zod

No saving people?
    Saved kids on the bus
    Saved Lois
    Saved military personnel
    Saved the planet

No heart?

No smiles?
    Learning to fly
    Meeting Lois
    Interrogation scene

No humor?
    Bits with Lois
    Bits with Perry

Crappy Pa Kent?

Leveled a city?

Murdered Zod?

Its all there.

M

You can have my rewatch, too ;)
    When I was taking notes during this viewing, I labeled it the "David D notes review"

My daughter wound up watching the movie with me. So yes, she's exposed to a Superman movie before a Batman movie.

;)

M
  • Options

I'm a pretty big DC fan, but I didn't care for Green Lantern. Only saw it once in the theater.
    I saw it once in the theatre & didn't care for it. Gave it a Netflix viewing & found it was worse then I recalled. I won't even buy the $5 Blu-ray copy.

M
  • Options

And I've seen it reviewed positively. In fact, I've read in some instances its the best received Superman film. I really don't think it matters what "professional critics" say. They normally assess on different factors then I do.

I recall some "professional critics" claiming Seth MacFarlane upset people, particularly women like Charlize Theron, with his MC-ing of the Emmys. Apparently, they didn't get the satire of the bits.

Plus, I thought you were through with this thread?

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

batlaw said:

Actually, I found the opposite. I felt more like it showed being human is more then the body. In the root of things, free will will survive.

M
    As did the original. All while being original. The new one had that message in there and it's up to each viewer to decide if they like it or how it's handled. For robocop I agree with and like the message, but didn't think it was handled particularly well. Not much surrounding it. Just a bunch of gunfire.
    With mos as I've said I didn't care for the approach, the message or how it was handled. And instead of gunfire they went with endless super-punches.

• Options
    batlaw said:

Matt said:

batlaw said:

M
    As did the original. All while being original. The new one had that message in there and it's up to each viewer to decide if they like it or how it's handled. For robocop I agree with and like the message, but didn't think it was handled particularly well. Not much surrounding it. Just a bunch of gunfire.
    With mos as I've said I didn't care for the approach, the message or how it was handled. And instead of gunfire they went with endless super-punches.

I went in knowing it wasn't going to be the original & assessed it for what it was. I could see some of Murphy's struggles, but mostly found the substance through Dr. Norton.

As I said, I look at this the same way I do Zombie's movie; a nice appendix to the original.

M