Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Gospel of sequential art

What is your favorite book to loan out to new readers?

I usually start with The Walking Dead, Locke & Key, Scalped and then Supreme Power. Those things tend to defy their preconceived notions in a pretty positive way.

Comments

• Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Title of the thread is deceiving. 'Gospel of Sequential Art' should be almost everything that the comic greats like 'Will Eisner', 'Kirby','Harvey Kurtzman','Darwyn Cooke' etc have produced.

Now...if your talking about books to loan out to people...that's different.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    any book from Hergé, Franquin, Cosey, Morris, Giraud, Goscinny, Bilal, Gotlib, Moers, Koenig, Van Hamme, Charlier, Rosinski, Pratt, Tardi, Sfar, Trondheim...........

or one of many cool European Anthology magazines like Spirou or Zack!

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I used to use Sandman to get people into comics. But over the years I have come to realized it isn't as good as I thought it was. Now I use Preacher,Essential Spiderman volume 1 or Walking Dead Omnibus volume 1.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Title of the thread is deceiving. 'Gospel of Sequential Art' should be almost everything that the comic greats like 'Will Eisner', 'Kirby','Harvey Kurtzman','Darwyn Cooke' etc have produced.

Now...if your talking about books to loan out to people...that's different.
    Hmmmm. Sorry I was just wondering what tools other geeks use to bring heathens into the fold. I didn't realize that was actually a term used by anybody other than me.

So really you start barbaric unbelievers off with Will Eisner?
  • Options
    I used to use Sandman to get people into comics. But over the years I have come to realized it isn't as good as I thought it was. Now I use Preacher,Essential Spiderman volume 1 or Walking Dead Omnibus volume 1.
    I know, right! The art is really inconsistent in that series but ten years ago that thing was sacred!
  • Options
    any book from Hergé, Franquin, Cosey, Morris, Giraud, Goscinny, Bilal, Gotlib, Moers, Koenig, Van Hamme, Charlier, Rosinski, Pratt, Tardi, Sfar, Trondheim...........

I have been reading comics for 30 years and do not recognize a single name on your list. Enlighten me oh wise one. Share this fountain of wisdom with this weary penitent!
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247

Agree!
  • Options
    I know, right! The art is really inconsistent in that series but ten years ago that thing was sacred!

I still love the art in Sandman. I just feel that Gaiman needlessly padded it out. Around issue 15 or so I read an interview with him,and he talked about how the series was plotted out to end around issue 50. But the series became a huge seller and it feels like he padded it out to make more money. Nothing wrong with that ,but the padding diluted the good stuff in the series. As far as comic book work I believe Gaiman will never top his run on Miracleman.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm with Steed - if I were looking to bring someone in, I'd do it with an anthology. Short, controlled bursts and while they may not enjoy every story they see, they're bound to enjoy one or two, and from there you can build. "Oh, you liked that story, well you might enjoy..."

T&A aside (not that there's anything wrong with that) I've always been a fan of Heavy Metal for this kind of thing. You're less likely to scare someone off with that as opposed to "Here's issue one of the Walking Dead. It's up to issue 100 now! Can you believe it?!?" :)
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited June 2012
    You're less likely to scare someone off with that as opposed to "Here's issue one of the Walking Dead. It's up to issue 100 now! Can you believe it?!?" :)
    You have to wait till they're finished with issue 1 before you say things like that.....and let's face it none of us (myself excluded I wasn't on the cutting edge 100 issues ago so I don't have one) are loaning out their issue 1's so they get the first trade and then you say "they're up to issue 100" to which they'll respond. "To the library!!!" :)

• Options
    Yes. I always loan out trades before single issues. It is a complete story and I don't worry about them getting jacked up.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I always try to match up the book to the person’s personality. What will convince one person won’t necessarily convince another.

A lady I used to work with asked to borrow Sandman. She’d never read a comic, but she liked American Gods. I warned her it probably wasn’t the best place for her to start, but that’s what she wanted to read, so I let her borrow the first trade. Unfortunately, I was right, and when I tried to offer her another comic I thought would be more suitable (I think it was Fables), she basically said thanks, but no thanks.
  • Options
    Fables is another comic I have used to get people into the medium. My girlfriend saw me reading one of trades and the artwork caught her eye. So she asked to borrow it. I gave her the first 2 trades and now she is hooked. She is always asking when I am getting a new trade in.
  • Options
    VKMarionVKMarion Posts: 37
    I have turned more than a few of my buddies into avid comic readers by giving them Green Lantern :Rebirth, Batman: Hush, and Civil War
  • Options
    I have turned more than a few of my buddies into avid comic readers by giving them Green Lantern :Rebirth, Batman: Hush, and Civil War
    Hurm. That's the second or third time Hush has come up. Maybe I better read that.
  • Options
    VKMarionVKMarion Posts: 37
    Hurm. That's the second or third time Hush has come up. Maybe I better read that.
    Its a real fun read, definitely check it out!