Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1238 Talkback: Off the Racks

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited June 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Our choices for some off the rack discussion for this episode are Batman Annual #1 from DC, Fury Max #1 from Marvel and Mind the Gap #1 from Image. We also touch on Trio #1, Star Trek:TNG/Doctor Who #1 and more. (1:09:16)

Listen here.

Comments

• rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Regard Rory. I don't recall Rory taking Amy's last name. However, I do remember the Dr. calling him Rory Pond. At the time I thought the Dr. was poking fun.
  • Still don't get the agonizing over continuity in the DCU (what stays, what doesn't, etc.). New universe, new reality. Clean slate. If they happen to canonize something old instead of doing it a new way, then we can just assume that, as it relates to that event/person, things happened in a largely identical fashion in this new universe.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Regard Rory. I don't recall Rory taking Amy's last name. However, I do remember the Dr. calling him Rory Pond. At the time I thought the Dr. was poking fun.
    At the wedding the Doctor said something about the new Mr. and Mrs. Pond, Rory started to say that it was usually the wife who took the husband's name, and then sort of sighed and went along with it.

Anyway - Amy is the one wearing the trousers in that relationship ;)
    Still don't get the agonizing over continuity in the DCU (what stays, what doesn't, etc.). New universe, new reality. Clean slate. If they happen to canonize something old instead of doing it a new way, then we can just assume that, as it relates to that event/person, things happened in a largely identical fashion in this new universe.
    Good for you. I'm having a hell of a time with it.
    At the wedding the Doctor said something about the new Mr. and Mrs. Pond, Rory started to say that it was usually the wife who took the husband's name, and then sort of sighed and went along with it.

YES! Thanks for clearing that up.
    Btw, I hate stuff like the "wearing the trousers" comment. Very simply, he loves her more then his pride. That should go both ways.
    @rebis : I was quoting Moffat and cast (as shown in Dr.Who Confidential). And as a happily married man (since 1993) I can assure you, the "trousers" comment is something lovers take in a good and loving spirit ;)
  • ptsteelersptsteelers Posts: 32
    Just can't find my "Byrne Love" for TRIO. This is exactly like reading Byrne's run of the Fantastic Four ... and that is fine, but I have the complete run of Byrne's FF stories and if I want to read that I will flip through those. This is an ultimate case of 'been there, done that'.
    We even get a Namor in issue 2 and a Doom on the cover of issue 4. Bah.

Dialog, okay, not Byrne's strong point anyway, was also dated to me.
    "Every time she turns dead on she disappears!" (not a true quote)
    Ugh
    Also
    SPOILER AHEAD ........
    was mad at the total predictability of 'rock' being a kid. Really? Who didn't see that coming?
    END SPOILER

Sadly issue one was the only one I shall be getting, even with DCBS prices.
  • bustybusty Posts: 104
    Have to agree with Jamie regarding max fury,(please do some more essentials).will have to pick up the startrek/who comic sounds fun.
    Love Mike artistic opinions on the art,nice to get a artists viewpoint,rest of episode,meh.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

Yeah. The Doctor has often called them the Ponds, but I don't think Rory ever officially changed his name to Rory Pond, it was just his admission that Amy drives things and he's along for the ride. But IIRC, in one of her last appearances last season (not sure if it was the last proper episode or the Christmas special), Amy did call herself Amy Williams.
    @LibraryBoy : Agreed - The "name switching" became a running gag in the show and on the set. I wonder how they handle it in the audio productions, books and comics though? So far I haven't seen/heard anything of the expanded Who-verse.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited June 2012
    You can't have any f-bombs on the show without Uncle Sal, it just feels out of place.

Star Trek/Dr. Who - JK Woodward is a beast! I must have looked through that issue a dozen times before I read it. One of the most beautiful comics I have ever seen. I can't wait to get to the meat of this story. @Pants, don't worry about getting kicked out of the club, I'm covered on the Star Trek side of this but the only Dr. Who I'm familiar with is limited to Tom Baker and David Tennant.

Danger Club - I got issues 1 and 2 of this, and it is good. The art is great but like @Mike said, the writing needs to give up a little more on what's going on and how things became they way they are, at least a little bit.
  • I'm hoping danger club shapes up. It has potential and I really enjoyed the fight.

As for DC's clean slate, I would agree with you (plural) if the green lantern book clearly had wiped the slate clean. Or batman. These books keep roots in the past. Reorganized but roots non the less. Some of the other books to but not to the degree these two do.
  • VKMarionVKMarion Posts: 37
    Jason Fabok kicked ass on the Batman annual, so glad to hear you guys like it as well.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Mike, the reason you thought the Nick Fury artwork looked European is because Goran Parlov is Croatian. He’s done a lot of Punisher work the past few years. And I agree, he’s very good. There’s a lot of energy in his drawing. He reminds me of a less cartoony Jordi Bernet.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I read a danger club issue...was it a #0?...a couple months ago. Anyways, I enjoyed it but will be getting in trade.

Star Trek/Dr. Who was simply amazing.
  • peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    Jamie was right about Cow Boy. It was a lot of fun and something that I'll definitely be following. When my kid is old enough it'll be a favourite, I'm sure.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Glad to hear people talking about Cow Boy. I was curious but didn't get it, but the story in the Archaia FCBD book really makes me want to check it out.
  • I must say that I like the look of the Fury book. I don't know any of the history behind the character and found it to be alot of fun to read.