Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Creator Ownership and the Creation of Movie Properties

With a tip of the hat to The Beat for linking to this, comics writer Nat Gertler made an interesting chart that tracks the history of what comics properties have become movie adaptations, when the initial material was created, and whether or not it is corporate-owned. It makes for an interesting visual, and shows, in a way, how much more narrow the window is between initial creation and adaptation in the case of non-corporate comics. And, I think, makes visual how much of a difference media sales have made in what Gertler calls the "Creator-Owned Era".

Check out the list in context here.

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'd like to see that data crunched a different way.

Show the year a movie was made, and whether or not the property was creator-owned.

I'm pretty sure the trend has shifted in favor of publisher/studio-owned properties in recent years.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited June 2012

Show the year a movie was made, and whether or not the property was creator-owned.

I'm pretty sure the trend has shifted in favor of publisher/studio-owned properties in recent years.
    That would be interesting, too. And I agree that- especially as the success of the Nolan Batman and the Marvel Studios movies continue to drive sequels, reboots, and soaring budgets- that there are more publisher-owned ones being made, and rebooted.

And while there are more publisher-owned ones being made, I think what would still be the same is the fact that a creator-owned comic can be adapted to film far faster. That the window between creation and adaptation continues to be much more narrow then in the case of corporate properties, I think is the point Gertler was illustrating with this list.

And I think the possibility of those media sales (and this is just for movies, I would imagine in the next 20 years we might be able to see a similar chart for TV) have been a big factor in making creator-owned comics financially viable. (And, of course, that is not to say a creator can or should depend on such media sales, but the idea that the possibility is out there must factor into the cost/benefit analysis of the time getting invested).
  • Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited June 2012
    "What can be seen is that once creator ownership was on the table, the moviable properties were largely works that creators maintained ownership of."

False. By my count it's 38/27/2 in favor of publisher-owned books. Plus, the list ignores that while there may be one 30 Days of Night film out there, there are four Spider-Man, seven Batman, four X-men, etc., films. There are fewer creator-owned adaptations by a long shot.

As for the window being smaller, that's misleading as well. By setting the film release date at 1982, earlier versions, including serials, are dismissed. Those versions significantly close that window for a number of titles. Beyond that, restricting it to films only ignores television and animation. While that's apples-and-oranges in terms of scale of production, in terms of quickness of adaptation, they would again shrink the window for a number of books.

All this list really shows is that fewer writers and artists have created new characters for publisher-owned universes over the last thirty years. While that's an interesting point, it's hardly a revelation, and has nothing to do with properties being adapted to film.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited June 2012
    "What can be seen is that once creator ownership was on the table, the moviable properties were largely works that creators maintained ownership of."

False. By my count it's 38/27/2 in favor of publisher-owned books. Plus, the list ignores that while there may be one 30 Days of Night film out there, there are four Spider-Man, seven Batman, four X-men, etc., films. There are fewer creator-owned adaptations by a long shot.

As for the window being smaller, that's misleading as well. By setting the film release date at 1982, earlier versions, including serials, are dismissed. Those versions significantly close that window for a number of titles. Beyond that, restricting it to films only ignores television and animation. While that's apples-and-oranges in terms of scale of production, in terms of quickness of adaptation, they would again shrink the window for a number of books.

All this list really shows is that fewer writers and artists have created new characters for publisher-owned universes over the last thirty years. While that's an interesting point, it's hardly a revelation, and has nothing to do with properties being adapted to film.
    This is picky of me, but to be fair he didn't say there were more. In the statement you quoted, he said "largely". And even in a count of 38 to 27, that 27 is still remarkable. In the period from 1982 on, I think "largely" is a fair term. I take your point, but I don't think Gertler was arguing against the success or volume of publisher-owned. I think he was making a point of the remarkable success and fast turnaround time of creator-owned works becoming movies, and that the amount of the overall pie they represent is significant. I don't think that Gertler's point is that this means creator-owned are winning.

But I think it is a remarkable fact that- even with less time to penetrate the culture and prove themselves as "proven content"- creator-owned comics properties have been a real force in movies. Not the biggest force, of course, but the amount of them that have got to screen in a small amount of time is significant and noteworthy.

That doesn't mean that publisher-owned have to be seen as unsuccessful. The point is that creator-owned have been largely successful, too. And, as you also said, it seems to be where the new or at least more recent concepts are coming from.

And my takeaway is that- while, of course, they can't depend on media sales, or aim for them when creating the work- creator-owners and would-be creator-owners see a list like this and are encouraged to stay in the game.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

And add to that the fact that publishers haven't been able to launch new properties for a LONG time, it's going to be heavily skewed toward creator owned projects if you look at date of creation of the property, rather than date of the media project.

I honestly think "Deadpool" is the only major company creation since 1974 that has been able to maintain an on-going series. AND, the version of Deadpool that succeeded is VERY different in tone than the Deathstoke knockoff that Liefeld created.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited June 2012
    Another factor that I think should tie in with all of this is how comics have become "pitches". Marvel has done quite a few mini-series and such that they made so that they could put a property in front of a studio, and some companies (like Radical) simply use comics as a way to finance their movie pitches.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I honestly think "Deadpool" is the only major company creation since 1974 that has been able to maintain an on-going series. AND, the version of Deadpool that succeeded is VERY different in tone than the Deathstoke knockoff that Liefeld created.
    There’s also John Constantine, a.k.a. Hellblazer, and I think you could argue Cable, but the point remains valid.
    Another factor that I think should tie in with all of this is how comics have become "pitches". Marvel has done quite a few mini-series and such that they made so that they could put a property in front of a studio, and some companies (like Radical) simply use comics as a way to finance their movie pitches.
    Frankly, the whole Ultimates line was most likely set up for that purpose. But at least those titles read and felt like comics and not just movie pitches. I think some creators (Mark Millar, for one) go too far into pitch mode, and when they do it’s distracting, for me at least, and makes for a lesser reading experience.
  • Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    But I think it is a remarkable fact that- even with less time to penetrate the culture and prove themselves as "proven content"- creator-owned comics properties have been a real force in movies. ...

And my takeaway is that- while, of course, they can't depend on media sales, or aim for them when creating the work- creator-owners and would-be creator-owners see a list like this and are encouraged to stay in the game.
    Both excellent points.