Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

ROM Question

Forgive me if this has come up before, but I was just thinking...

Marvel doesn't do anything with ROM, new stories or reprints, because it doesn't own the rights to the action figure. So why doesn't someone like Dynamite or IDW jump on that? There's still an Spaceknight fanbase out there...

Best Answer

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited June 2012 Answer ✓
    Marvel can continue writing stories about the SpaceKnights and everything else they created and own around the ROM character, but not ROM himself.

Another publisher may be able to get the rights to publish ROM comics, but they would not be able to use the SpaceKnights or anything else Marvel created in their ROM run.

Answers

• Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    @Greg - Thanks. Do you think starting over with the same name would still draw a crowd? Or was ROM only cool because he was in the Marvel U?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Hasbro has a pretty decent relationship with both Marvel and IDW. If Hasbro wanted a new ROM book out there it would more than likely go to one of them and it would be a crime not have ROM back in the Marvel Universe. But how cool would it be to see ROM in the next Infestation crossover? It would would be very cool.

Bendis has said several times that he wants a crack at writing ROM and really regardless of whom was writing it, I'd be all over a new ROM or Spaceknights title.

They toy was a flop sales wise, the comic however had to be successful to last 75 issues and it is one of my favorite titles.

@BrianBaer - If Marvel got the rights for a new ROM title I wouldn't be surprised to see a reboot of some kind. A lot of years have passed since that last issue of ROM. I would also hope that we would get reprints. If it were another publsher like IDW that would be starting from scratch and would probably ask for the reprint rights similar to what Dark Horse has with Conan and Dynamite has with Red Sonja.

I think there is still a sizeable fanbase, but I don't think we will see a new ROM series unless Hasbro is producing something esle (games, toys etc) to go along with it.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I've said it before.

While Marvel is flush with movie money, they ought to buy the IP.

>:P
    Just imagine:

ROM: The Movie.

Dare to dream.
  • Options
    @WetRats nailed it. Hasbro bought out Parker Brothers and supposedly renewed the trademark on ROM in 2008 but did nothing with it that I know of. ROM needs to be a permenant member of the Marvel U.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Wetrats, I'll say it again as well: It won't happen because there is no executive who wants to be the one that lets a property get away. The 2nd Ghost Rider movie was made just so Marvel couldn't get the rights back, so spite is pretty damn common in business, even if it means money is left on the table.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The 2nd Ghost Rider movie was made just so Marvel couldn't get the rights back
    Really? I'd like to read that story.
  • Options
    No big story, they just have to make a movie with the character or, after 5 years, the rights go back to Marvel. Oddly enough, the sequel came out on nearly the last week that it had to in order to keep the rights.

Spider-Man had the same clause, which is why most of the people involved on this summer's Spidey movie say things were rushed.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    No big story, they just have to make a movie with the character or, after 5 years, the rights go back to Marvel. Oddly enough, the sequel came out on nearly the last week that it had to in order to keep the rights.

Spider-Man had the same clause, which is why most of the people involved on this summer's Spidey movie say things were rushed.
    How do either of those cases qualify as "spite"?

Maintaining the terms of a contract that is generating some millions, if not mega-millions makes sense.

Keeping an IP that is generating zero income off the market makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    The same happened with Corman's Fantastic Four movie, if I remember correctly. That sort of corporate ego has always confused me.
  • Options

How do either of those cases qualify as "spite"?

Maintaining the terms of a contract that is generating some millions, if not mega-millions makes sense.

Keeping an IP that is generating zero income off the market makes no sense at all.
    "Spite" is more my take on things. The first Ghost Rider movie barely made a profit and the second didn't (and was projected to lose money), but the studio didn't want to lose those rights. Having worked at a number of big companies, the people who are in charge of things don't want to answer the question "Why did you let that get away!"

ABC STILL talks about the network executives who didn't order series of CSI and Third Rock From The Sun and allowed them to go to other networks. Having just read the two "Late Night Wars" books by Bill Carter, he goes into great detail about how executives lost MILLIONS of dollars just trying to keep performers and properties from going to other networks where they had a possibility of success.

None of it made any sense to someone outside the business. The whole "Moving Leno to 10 pm" was to keep him from going to ABC, and giving Conan the Tonight Show after five years contract was to keep him from going to Fox.

The whole "Optioning" system in Hollywood is buying rights to things in some cases to keep other companies from making movies/TV series/Etc... off of them, just ask Rob Liefeld, who made a mint in the 90's off of options.

• Options
    The same happened with Corman's Fantastic Four movie, if I remember correctly. That sort of corporate ego has always confused me.
    I think it all boils down to, Do YOU want to answer the question "I see that Project ABC made Sony (or Disney or Comcast) $250 million dollars this quarter. Why didn't YOU do that when the property was in your department?"