Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comixology is having an Atomic Robo half-off 3 day sale. Worth it?

I got the first trade. Loved the first issue. Laughed really hard at the punch line to the mars mission issue. Otherwise, I thought it was ok, but the humor got a bit repetitive, in my opinion. Does the book get a lot better? I've heard raves and more raves about it.

Comments

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    This is a book that I have had a similar struggle with and literally just came here after seeing the email about the sale, clicking it, then promptly just closing the Comixology screen. I think you hit it right on, the book is OK. It can be fun, there is a laugh buried here and there, the art is good most often, but it lacks something for me to really put it in a must have/read category. I have the first 3 trades and that's it, I never even finished #3. I tried the new adventures mini-series one and thought it was terrible. If I ever found any of the trades deeply discounted 75%+ off I might pick them up but otherwise I'm good on my Atomic Robo.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    Thanks Zhurrie, that helps. Especially coming from someone else who doesn't really dig the book.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I agree- I thought it was fun, and definitely a good example of what has become the Hellboy sub-genre (where I would also place Proof, Frankenstein Agent of, and others). But it got repetitive for me, too. And I think it is either the third or fourth trade to has been sitting on a to-read shelf for a long time.
  • Options
    Boy it is refreshing to not be the odd-man out :) They are fun though at times but it is just missing that little extra piece that would make it pop. There was a mini-series a while back from Red 5 Comics called "Drone" that I really enjoyed, it suffers a bit from being a short mini but still very good and if you ever see it in a discount bin worth picking up.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited June 2012
    I once read the first two collections on my tab. I tried hard to like the book since it keeps getting so much high praise throughout the interwebs. But Atomic Robo bored me to death. There are better comics for free in the pages of customer periodicals. Tastes differ. Atomic Robo is not mine.

Don't believe the hype.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Im a fan.

But I get what you are saying @Zhurrie and @David-D.

I think I'm still a fan because I read it so sporadically... like a trade a year... I would imagine if I was reading it regularly month-to-month it'd get somewhat repetitive in tone...
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I've read all 5 trades and found it very entertaining and fun. Love the characters and there were a few moments that really had me on the floor laughing. I like the art and the characters. I would say it's worth it.
  • Options
    Crap, more people are telling me how good it is, and I'm still wondering if I'd like the more recent trades :(
  • Options
    Eh, after all this discussion I broke down and got them. I read the Free Comic Book Day issue with Dr. Dinosaur, and absolutely loved it. I also figured for the price of one new trade, I could get caught up on everything. Plus, my wife wanted me to treat myself for running my first 5k.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
  • Options
    Report back once you've read through them or as you go, I'd be interested in your thoughts.
  • Options
    You got it dude. :)
    Report back once you've read through them or as you go, I'd be interested in your thoughts.