Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RIP Robert L. Washington III - Comics Writer and Co-Creator of Static

The Beat has a remembrance of Robert L. Washington III, a comics writer mostly known for his work with Milestone, including co-creating Static, and writing Blood Syndicate, who died earlier this month, including a link to an interview he did shortly before his death that includes some sobering advice for those that have or aspire to a life in comics.

You can find it here.

Comments

• Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    Very sad. I recently reread Rebirth of the Cool, which contained the first four issues of the original series, which Washington cowrote. Fantastic stuff. It's a shame he learned these lessons so late in life.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I was so sad to hear about this. I met Robert at a convention in Bangor, Maine (my hometown), way back when the Milestone books were first coming out. He was a great guy, and really funny, and if I hadn't already been reading Static at the time, I would have started after talking to him. I remember, too, that the local Starfleet chapter was set up there, and they had a life-sized replica of the TOS Enterprise bridge that they'd set up at shows and fairs and stuff. Robert and another one of the Milestone guys were filming themselves in the chairs like the ship was getting rocked by phaser fire, and the Trekkie guys got mad and threw them off. According to the con organizers (my LCS owners), Robert told them he had a contract to write a Star Trek novel and that his plan was to kill off the ship that the local club was named for in the first chapter in a really nasty way. Don't know if that novel ever came to be, but if it did, I pitied the crew of the USS Kasimar (though, really, they had it coming.)
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I loved his work and am so sad to hear that his life took such a turn for the worse.