Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starting Spider-Man

My little brother (11) has always been into Spidey. I am looking to capitalize on the new film and translate that into comic book reading.

So, what does everybody suggest as far as a good starting point?

Best Answer

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    Answer ✓
    'The Avenging Spider-Man' is a fairly new title (only 6-7 issues out so far). It's a team-up book with some of Spideys Avenger pals, and it's a lot of fun. you dont need to know a lot of the past history of spidey to jump on board.
    If you want to start him reading the main 'Amazing Spider-Man' title, start with issue 666 (no lie!) Spider-Island started with that issue. a fantastic spidey story that's got great art and again, a lot of fun. if you cant find the issues, then check for the Spider-Island trade.

Answers

• Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    Start him from the beginning of "Brand new day" it's a great jumping on point and begins one of the best runs of Spidey ever in my opinion (546-current).
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited June 2012
    My son is the same age as your lil' bro. He wasn't interested in starting at the beginning of Amazing Spider-Man, so I started with bronze age Amazing, Spectacular and Marvel Team-Up. For more modern Spidey I went with Avenging Spider-Man and now he is interested in going back to the Essentials and Masterworks of early Amazing.
  • Options
    I am a firm believer in a solid foundation - starting with Amazing Fantasy #15 and working your way through ASM #1-122. Tons of silver and bronze age goodness readily available in reprint form.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    USM is a fantastic story that's easy to get involved in, the dialogue doesn't wear you down like the original stuff, but all the characters are there. If he shows a serious interest in one of the villains or Gwen or something then I'd say go back and show him where they originally came from.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Avenging Spider-Man is a good place to start him out.

Like Warpangel said you do not need any background history to enjoy it. Plus he gets exposed to other Marvel characters.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    A lot of people think the Marvel Adventures Spider-Man was the "kiddie" book, but I promise you that the Paul Tobin run was some of the best Spidey storytelling to happen in years. I don't know if the digests are still in print, but scoop 'em up if you can find them.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    The newish Spidey book based on the cartoon seemed pretty cool and a lot of kids were into it at my LCS. I think it is called "Ultimate Spider-Man Adventures"

Also, pick up one or two other comics of a different sort, you never know he may be drawn to something else or even other than Spidey. Something like a Darkwing Duck, Simpsons, or something he picks himself from an all-ages rack. My nephew dug Super Dinosaur.
  • Options
    VashVash Posts: 12
    Thank you all for the responses. As a primarily DC reader, I appreciate the input. I think Avenging Spiderman sounds like a great place with lots of fun to be had.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Start him out with One More Day, everything else will seem amazing...
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    but seriously I think your best bet is to go with Ultimate Spiderman #1. You can get the trades pretty cheap and they are plentiful, its a modern voice telling the classic story with some modern modifications. He might find Spiderman Adventures to "kiddy" (not that it is, but if he's like the other 11 year olds I've taught they dont want anything that even sniffs of "kid" they want to be cool 13 year olds in the WORST way, and USM feels like a teen book.

And yeah as someone said, once he's hooked you can show him the original version of the book and show him the parallels, he might get a kick out of reading both versions in parallel...
  • Options
    Thank you all for the responses. As a primarily DC reader, I appreciate the input. I think Avenging Spiderman sounds like a great place with lots of fun to be had.
    Good luck Vash, when he gets to Avenging #6 make sure you give it a look too. The story isn't fantastic but Lenil Yu's art is Amazing all on its own

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited June 2012
    There is a PC CD ROM of Amazing Spider-Man issues from the beginning to the Road to Civil War + Annuals. That is 500+ issues & no you will not get all the crossovers but it is dang close. I got mine for 30 bucks right around Spider Man 2 or 3. My mom got it for me as a gift. All you have to do is download Adobe Reader & you are all set.

Matthew
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Avenging Spider-Man is a good place to start. It's sort of like the modern version of Marvel Team-Up with cool stories of Spider-Man teaming up with a member of the Avengers. Marvel Tales featuring Spider-Man is also a cool place to check out the character. I also recommend the new Ultimate Spider-Man based on the cartoon which is a lot of fun. Also depending on how much he would like the older comics, check out the Marvel Masterworks to get a taste of Spider-Man at the beginning of his print adventures. I still find those stories entertaining as heck.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
  • Options
    yes give an 11 year old who is big into spidey watchmen, that way we never have to suggest anything comic related for him again

5 minutes alone with the black freighter and he'll say thanks for the paper weight big brother

and yes I'm being a bit snarky about your comment @busty but really is that something that we might be doing as a detriment to this industry?

The stuff that first got us into comics was probably a current thing (at least at the time) those of us that grew up in the 80's might think that's when the best comics came out i.e. watchmen. People that grew up as kids in the 60's are going to love those old AMS stories.

Now as we've grown older, or at least up, in comics. We can go back and appreciate those things, but if you're an 11 year old growing up today those comics are going to be dreadfully boring and will kill off any interest before there's even a chance to spark the love of comics that we share.

Some of you would turn your noses up at Super hero squad or the Ultimate line because that's not the real comics, but if it gets one more person in the door and then as they enjoy those "other" books then they can go back and enjoy the history that comics has to offer.

I'm probably going to start a fight and it's not my intention.

I'm just saying I think when it comes to younger readers we should start small and modern and work up to the classics.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    It's ok I was trying to be a smart ass,I wouldn't personally give him anything but ultimate spidey,its all one artist so no jarring,and it seems more kid friendlier than the regular universe.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    My son started with Essential Spider-Man #1, and after I filled him in on how it was from back in the early 60'S he LOVED it. It has all of Spidey's biggest villains, most of the concerns Peter Parker had about high school are still relevant, and Ditko's really works in the black and white format.
  • Options
    Untold Tales of Spider-Man. Bam
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Untold Tales of Spider-Man has some really good stories.