Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1240 - The Return of AJ Lieberman

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited June 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
In this episode we catch up with writer AJ Lieberman who has a new book 'Harvest' coming out in August from Image Comics. After reminiscing about his work on 'Harley Quinn', 'Batman: Gotham Knights', 'Cowboy Ninja Viking' and 'Term Life', we dive into the first issue of 'Harvest'. (1:09:00)

Listen here.

Comments

• ReflexReflex Posts: 3
    Who's the pen clicker?? That's annoying and I've heard it before in a different episodes. Just sayin.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited June 2012
    Loved Jamie's true and honest opinion about his disgust regarding the subject matter of the Harvest. Not many podcasters dare to speak up to a guest. Usually it's all butt licking. Jamie's the man B-)

Having said that, Harvest sounds very intriguing to me.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Hmm....I didn't hear any pen clicking. Maybe my hearing's gone bad? Anyway, I agree with Steed: Good job in giving your honest opinion, Jamie. I, too, get kind of tired of unredeemable characters (like House, etc.) who are just doing bad things with seemingly not chance of being "better." However, sometimes I do find it interesting to see the train wreck as it happens (for example with House, I love it when he's wrong or something he does comes back to bite him!). Anyway, I didn't especially get into Cowboy Ninja Viking either. So, I'll probably only give this book 3 issues. If it doesn't grab me by then, $12 bucks is all the chance it gets.
  • Great Episode! I understand Jamie's difficulty in getting into a book where there are no characters you can pull for right off the bat. For me I turn to comics as an escape from what is crappy in this world.

Having said that I respect the effort to try to create a book that doesn't follow the traditional approach. It is an interesting question; can you create a book without a hero or anti-hero that is designed for us to pull for. I suppose that would be considered a character study?

I am glad to have been exposed to the discussion. I am going to try out the book for 5 issues to see how they do. Thanks.
  • Hmm....I didn't hear any pen clicking. Maybe my hearing's gone bad? Anyway, I agree with Steed: Good job in giving your honest opinion, Jamie. I, too, get kind of tired of unredeemable characters (like House, etc.) who are just doing bad things with seemingly not chance of being "better." However, sometimes I do find it interesting to see the train wreck as it happens (for example with House, I love it when he's wrong or something he does comes back to bite him!). Anyway, I didn't especially get into Cowboy Ninja Viking either. So, I'll probably only give this book 3 issues. If it doesn't grab me by then, $12 bucks is all the chance it gets.
    Did you read term life?

And none of us had a clicking pen to click, FYI.
  • ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    All I've read of Liebermann's work was the first issue of Cowboy Ninja Viking, and I had the same reaction as Murd - didn't care for it one bit.

That said, he's a damn interesting interviewee, and at some point I plan on checking out Term Life and maybe I'll take a look at Harvest. You've at least got me intrigued with the new book.

And I want to add my kudos to Jamie D. for speaking up (as Murd did before, regarding CNV). I appreciate the positive approach you guys take to the podcast, but I also appreciate the fact that none of you are afraid to speak your minds if you don't enjoy something. It's part of what keeps me listening.

Thanks,
    chris
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508

Did you read term life?

And none of us had a clicking pen to click, FYI.
    No, I haven't read Term Life....By the way, just finished my DCBS order....and I didn't order Harvesst. Didn't make the cut..

• Loved Jamie's true and honest opinion about his disgust regarding the subject matter of the Harvest. Not many podcasters dare to speak up to a guest. Usually it's all butt licking. Jamie's the man B-)

Having said that, Harvest sounds very intriguing to me.
    I've not got so much of a problem with 'bad' characters but I have noticed that it is a trend as of late that you have protagonists doing terrible things and getting away with it. That is one reason I avoid Dexter because he is doing all these terrible things. At least with Breaking Bad you can see why the character does it and the downward spiral associated with it, think Daredevil over the last few years. I haven't read any issues of Harvest but I get the feeling with a series like that you have to show a bit of a change in the main character to at least foreshadow a changing to something better simply because it is in single issues and we don't have a backstory, like with Daredevil, of the type of person that the main character is. I think that this story will read a lot better as a trade because you get that continuous character development progressing without a monthly gap. I think the issue format does hurt this series to a degree.
    Great Episode! I understand Jamie's difficulty in getting into a book where there are no characters you can pull for right off the bat. For me I turn to comics as an escape from what is crappy in this world.

Having said that I respect the effort to try to create a book that doesn't follow the traditional approach. It is an interesting question; can you create a book without a hero or anti-hero that is designed for us to pull for. I suppose that would be considered a character study?
    I am glad to have been exposed to the discussion. I am going to try out the book for 5 issues to see how they do. Thanks.
    Yes, you can have escapism in your comics but if the character is always shown as a bad guy then there is going to be trouble with people connecting to that character. If there is consequences for that character and there is a change or a chance for change then that gives the reader a place to start supporting the character. I mean, House is an unlikeable character but you see glimpses of a better person or you see him dealing with the consequences of his actions. As i said before, i think that this story being in issues may hurt it.

Now to contradict myself to a degree. I've got to agree with @douglsajclark about AJ trying a different approach and that is always welcome. Without inovation we would have the same formulaic story. All support to you AJ