Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

FanExpo Toronto 2012 - Geek Meets

We're two months out from FanExpo, so I'll be scouting restaurants for our annual Meet soon... thought I'd open things up to suggestions/requests. I'm not asking for RSVPs yet, just input. Have at it!

Comments

• Options
    poisonelf1poisonelf1 Posts: 40
    I'm new to the forums.
    What exactly is this?
    This will be my third year going to fanexpo and im interested in this
  • Options
    Dave2099Dave2099 Posts: 61
    Nothing fancy... about 30 of us from the Forums meet up on the Saturday (last year, on the Friday, too), go for food, maybe hit a bar after and sometimes hit the Silver Snail Midnight Madness sale. It's a great time and a good way to broaden your social circle... I'm surprised how many people I wound up becoming good friends with.
  • Options
    poisonelf1poisonelf1 Posts: 40
    That sounds cool
    I'm totally interested
    gonna keep an eye on this thread
    Thanks for the info
  • Options
    Feel free to pass it on, too... this is mostly a word-of-mouth thing.

Sometimes that almost backfires... last year, for the Friday thing, I had 5 people say they were coming... we wound up with over 30! I'm just glad the restaurant was able to accommodate!
  • Options
    Interesting things coming... Friday, we're trying something new! Stay tuned!
  • Options
    edited July 2012

For those that don’t know, a few of us from these annual Forum Meets have started our own podcast: Comic Speakeasy (available on iTunes - subscribe today!).

We’re still in our early stages, but this year we’re putting a new twist on the shout-out concept: this year, we’re turning the mic over to you.

Everyone who RSVPs to this meet will get a chance to record their own segment. Talk about the con, be interviewed, wax nostalgic or let loose a fanboy rant!

First come means first priority. Even if you don’t want to record, RSVP as soon as you know if you’ll be coming… seriously! Seating is limited and I need a good estimate before the day of.
  • Options
    Always have a good time, high light of the show.
    Even if I don't make it to the show, I'll hit at least one of the meet ups.

By the way I was sure Hernando's Hideaway.

- looking forward to checking out Comic Speakeasy!
  • Options
    Used to be Hernando's, but they split off on their own and wanted to stay close to the original. The one we went to last year is now "Habanero's"!
  • Options
    I've started posting these on the Facebook page... thought it might be useful to put them here, too:

FanExpo Conventions #1: Office Supplies!

Whether you work in an office & can swipe them, or if you have to go to Staples and buy them, here are some items you’ll want to bring with you to FanExpo

1. Mailing Tubes – Chances are you’ll pick up more than one print, poster, sketch or photo and, even if you roll them up, odds are good something will get dented. Mailing tubes are cheap, durable and don’t take up much more space than the posters themselves. Plus, not only will you be on equal footing with any uppity Jedi, you’ll also have something to display your free stickers on.

2. Ziplock Bags - If you’re picking up any Mini-Mates, HeroClix, previously used action figures, Lantern rings, buttons, etc etc, ziplock bags prevent spillage when copping a squat in line for a panel and protect against any scratching while rattling around in your bag.

3. Sharpies - If you’re getting sketches or autographs, be a hero to the talent if/when their marker runs dry!

4. Pens - This one is a no-brainer: whether signing up for a mailing list, getting a phone number or just making a note on the program, pens are just practical.

Feel free to comment if there are any office supplies I’ve forgotten.
  • Options
    FanExpo Conventions #2: Transfers Are For Chumps.

This is important for out-of-towners especially.

The TTC has the single dumbest transfer system anywhere and it confuses even life-long users. Do yourself a favor and get a TTC Day Pass. At $10.50 per day, it’s cheaper than a cab and it gives you unlimited access from start of service until 5:30 am the next day. On weekends and holidays, it also covers small groups of 1 adult and up to 5 kids, or 2 adults and up to 4 kids.

There are some downsides… if you’re using it for a group, you have to go through all at the same time. You also can’t use the convenience turnstiles because there’s no magnetic strip.

Still… tokens are easy to lose and hard to pick out of a pocketful of change. If you’re doing any traveling, the Day Pass is the way to go.

Oh, uh, try to buy it somewhere other than Union Station. Union Stn is also a huge mess right now. Renovations, reconstruction… shit, at this point, Torontonians consider themselves lucky if the damn place isn’t FLOODED. Not a fun place to wait in line for anything.
  • Options
    FanExpo Conventions #3: Coping With Fanboy Funk.

We've all experienced it: walking face-first into invisible, wandering clouds of nerd stink.

99% of geekfolk know how to operate a deodorant stick, but that 1% who doesn't more than make up for their reduced numbers.

I've yet to see anyone peeling the paint at one of our Meets, but that's okay: this tip isn't directed at the cause of the problem, its directed at those of us who suffer because of it.

Here are a few tricks I've picked up over the years:

1 - KNOW YOUR ENEMY! Humans have two types of sweat glands: eccrine and apocrine. Sweat, itself, is pretty much odorless. Sweat from eccrine glands is basically just water and disappears pretty quickly. Sweat from apocrine glands contain higher concentrations of proteins and amino acids. This is food for bacteria on the skin. Its these crawly little bastards that cause B.O. The highest concentration of these glands are in the armpits, feet and crotch.

In short: don't fear sweaty people; avoid the guy that looks like you could scratch your initials into him.

2 - Do NOT sit down in a panel line-up if the person beside you is wearing sandals. True, feet in socks & shoes get even grosser, but the footwear shields you from the worst of it. With sandals, it's right there for all the world to enjoy.

3 - Wear something with a collar and bring a few cologne samples. This trick got me through some painful subway commutes out in Mississauga: when you catch that first whiff, spray the tip of your collar once or twice with the cologne. You can then keep your nose aimed at your collar and enjoy whatever musky selection from Givenchy you selected. Sample bottles are free at cosmetics counters and tiny enough to keep in a shirt pocket.

If you're in full steampunk gear, keep a flower in your lapel. Classy and functional.

4 - If someone you came with is turning the air around them yellow, TELL THEM! Don't be a dick about it, but its better to hear it from a friend than have them notice the perfect circle of empty chairs around them in a panel.
  • Options
    FanExpo Conventions #4: Resist the Supermarket Sweep Impulse!

Geez… how many people reading this actually got that reference. I’m old!

By that I mean, when you’re in the presence of free swag, remember what the word stands for: Shit We All Get. Emphasis on “All”.

I’m not saying limit yourself to just one of everything or even exercise that much restraint; I’m just saying try to rein it back a bit… do you really need 37 copies of the New 52 sampler, one year after the books came out? Think about what your actual needs are and leave something for the people in line behind you.

That said, don’t give the guy ahead of you crap if he IS taking multiple copies. Coordination is a great way to cover more ground at a convention (more on that tomorrow) and I know I grab copies for the kids of co-worker & friends. Don’t assume someone is a hoarder just because they grabbed six copies of the DC Kids Sampler or a fistful of Wonder Woman pins.

Hmm… this one feels a little light. I know! If you went to grade school in the early 90’s, you’ll remember this from sick days.
  • Options
    FanExpo Conventions #5: Sssswarm! SSSSWARM!

Hey, it was either a Swarm reference or Obi-Wan yammering about sand people.

Most people seem to go to conventions in groups. It gives you familiar people to talk to and a shared experience, but also missed opportunity.

1 – Spot-holding. There is an etiquette to this, depending on where and for what. A good ratio for panels is 1:3 or 1:4 holding to held for. For signings, 1:2 at most. The longer the line, the more severe the reaction to a breach of etiquette. If you’re going to push the limits, see who you’ve got around you. If you see a Stormtrooper or other 501st member, you’d be surprised how many of those cats are scary-ass bikers. Watch it. The ones to really look out for, though? 5’, hat or vest covered in buttons, shopping bags fit to bursting. These are the folk who see FanExpo as a high holiday and will loudly eviscerate anyone who threatens it.

2 – Freebies. There’s always a panel on just as the popular booths are doling out the goodies, so having someone in your group that’s all about the free stuff is essential. This is a rare animal to find… most floor-focused geeks don’t particularly care about free stuff; they’re on a mission to find deals. Free is not a deal, because everybody gets the same price. A deal is something hidden, exclusive. If you have a friend that can resist their hunting instinct long enough to get you promos, you need to reward that. A free meal now ensures next year’s haul.

3 – Pot luck. Admit it: every convention you stick a few granola bars in your pocket and swear you’ll resist the $8 pizza slices, but then decide granola bars suck and pizza it is. Going as a group means a chance for variety. If each person in your group spends the $2-3 on a box of some lunchbox treat and everybody shares, you wind up with options enough to resist Pizza Pizza. A group of four people could mean a choice of Dunkaroos, spreadable cheese & crackers, peanuts and cereal bars. And remember: convention food is grade 4 bag lunch food. Anyone bring apples, you have every legal right to give that asshole a wedgie!

There are other advantages to pack-hunting, but those are the three I’ve seen people miss the most. If you have any of your own, comment here.

Also:

C’mon… he’s made of bees! How is that not awesome?!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    FanExpo Conventions #6: Soup's On!

FanExpo takes place in the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC), just West of Union Station. Duh, right? Beyond that basic direction, though, most people at the convention are completely lost.

It's understandable... that area is a mess these days! It's all scafolding, cranes and people who can't operate their own cars. Still, nerds need fuel, too, so this tip is all about where to find food.

I went down there today and noted as many cheap eats as I could find within 5 min walking distance. I've added them all to the Google Map.

First up, the obvious: Union Station. McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Cinnabon, Bagel somethingorother, Mr. Sub, Jugo Juice... it's a bit of a winding walk and tends to be crowded, but if its all you know, its a viable option. Seating can be tricky, though.

Next, is the little strip of fast food joints South-East of the MTCC's entrance onto Bremner Blvd. (where you'll be lining up to get into the con). This is the easiest spot to get to and has a lot of variety: Taco Del Mar, Subway, Pita Grill, Hoops Sports Bar, Panago Pizza... definitely worth a look. There's also a Longo's tucked away there... never underestimate the quality at a modern grocery store's ready-made section!

If you want to turn right instead of left, there's no shortage of hotdog vendors outside the Skydome (fuck you Rogers... it's the Skydome and your boring-ass marketing department will never convince me otherwise!) and there's a St. Louis Wings a few steps past that.

Oh, and a sushi place, but that doesn't count because sushi is not real food. There, I said it.

On the other side of the MTCC (easiest thing to do is to cross over to the North building and exit there) you'll find at least three chip wagons. These are the best fries anywhere and at $4.50 for a hotdog and fries, nicely priced.

Across the street from that is a staircase to an underground food court. When FanExpo was in the North building, this place was swarming with people. Last year... not so much. Out of sight is out of mind. All the standard food court fare is there... McDonalds, Manchu Wok, token salad stand, Subway, Tabooli... if you're hunting as a pack, this is your best bet for pleasing everyone and finding enough sitting space.

Another option is Buskerfest. This is the furthest on the list, but its a great place for cheap food and an entertainment when you need a break from the convention.

If I left anything out, feel free to comment.

Cheers!
  • Options
    FanExpo Conventions #7: Little Green Bag.

*** GUEST CONTRIBUTOR: PAUL "SCOOP" RICHES ***

One thing I have done for several years now is put together a small medicine bag which is nestled inside my larger bag. The contents are always the same: a bottle of aspirin, a small bottle of pepto, some halls, a small glasses repair kit, spare glasses, clip on sunglasses, and if you are really anal-retentive like me - a nail file and nail clippers. Half of this stuff I have never used, but you never know when a calamity will strike! And check expiration dates before packing everything as well, just to ward off more disasters. This paragraph is more dramatic than anything Tom DeFalco has ever written.

On a technical side if you possess a mobile device, a power cord is good, a spare battery is better, and a portable battery is best. I have all three and they are incredibly invaluable. All these miscellaneous bits and pieces can be easily stowed inside another bag, all inside the aforementioned larger bag.

And don't forget to line the larger bag with a whackload of Metro bags. They be great and comics lay nice and flat in them. But be warned, not graphic novels!

Hope this is helpful or at the very least stirs your brain cells. And can't wait to see everyone at FanExpo! I will be the annoying one!!
  • Options
    FanExpo Conventions #8: DON’T Keep It In Your Pants.

One of my favorite memories from a previous FanExpo is walking over to the McDonalds with a friend who had decided to dress up as Lady Jaye (the redhead from G.I. Joe). Not just because she’s got a great wiggle and the walk required a lot of single-file, but because of this: a cop stopped her. Nerve-wracking at first, but hilarious in hindsight!

She had a plastic gun on her and the handle was visible. The cops weren’t stupid… there was no mace or dog-piling, they just told her she needs to keep it in a bag, not in her belt and DEFINITELY not visible when outside the convention.

Earlier that day, she’d also been treated to a show: a young guy in full Halo armor was stopped in the subway for the pellet gun he was carrying. No clip, but still...

What I’m getting at is this: if you’re cosplaying, or know someone who is, it’s a good idea to know what flies and what doesn’t. I sent FanExpo an email for their specific policy (not on their website) on weapons and will hopefully have that for you later.

In the meantime, I found this on an anime convention website and it seems to cover all the bases. At the very least, it’s a good place to start:

1. NO EDGED METAL - swords, knives, bayonets, cane-swords, and/or other objects made of metal, star knives/shurikens. Even if it’s blunt enough it wouldn’t cut warm butter, it’s still dangerous (one impaled fanboy could cost HOURS of shopping!)

2. GUNS: If it shoots something, don’t bring it. Pellet, Air, dart, blow, Crossbows or (God, I hope this ones obvious) Stun Guns stay at home! Water guns are probably fine, just don’t fill them. Remember: when outside of the con, keep the weapon in a shopping bag or your backpack, NOT on your person.

3. NOTHING THAT EXPLODES – Again, this should be an obvious one: explosives of any kind, including smoke bombs, sparklers & fireworks are a bad idea.

Fake weapons, wooden swords, props, walking sticks, foam, cardboard are fine… in short, should it fall into the wrong hands, make sure your weapon is something that wouldn’t harm anyone, except maybe Alan Scott.

If you MUST duel (and, let’s face it… what else is a light saber for?! …wait, don’t answer that!), always make sure you’re away from the flow of traffic and have plenty of space to swing away.

Every convention has the same rule about BUYING weapons: keep it in the box and store it ASAP.

Given that Scott mentioned it on an episode of Comic Speakeasy, I’ll say it again here: if you have an 8 ft long cardboard sword/gun, practice walking around with it at home. Fewer people than you’d expect actually appreciate random strangers spanking them, even if it’s by accident.

I think that covers it. If anyone has anything else to add, there’s the comment button!
  • Options
    FanExpo Conventions #9: 6/2/1 Rule!

*** GUEST CONTRIBUTOR: SIMONCHAMBERS ***

While you're on con survival, why not share the 6/2/1 rule? Make sure each day you get 6 hours of sleep, 2 good meals (we're talking multiple foodgroups here) and 1 shower!
  • Options
    FanExpo Conventions #10: Do Your Homework.

The schedules have been posted, so now comes the hard part: prioritizing. (I’m actually going to use this tip, as I write it, to figure out some of my own schedule)

If you’re like me, most of your time will be spent in panels and screenings, most of which all happen at once. Planning may sound nerdy, but, c’mon… what part of “comic convention” doesn’t?

POPULARITY MEANS CROWDS
    If a panel is very popular year after year, don’t delude yourself into thinking you can show up at the start and just waltz in. Factor in extra time before the start to secure a cozy spot at the front of the line. Be warned: to do that, you might have to miss out on other panels. This is something to add to the decision… is this one panel worth two others? Example: to get in line for DOCTOR WHO SOCIETY OF CANADA - DALEK BUILDING 101 at 4:00 PM on Friday, I’ll have to pass on at least the second half of FANTASY ARMOUR & WEAPONS A REALITY! At 3:00 PM.

MURDER YOUR DARLINGS
    Panels always happen in clusters. Example: STEAMPUNK GADGETS AND PROP BUILDING, DOCTOR WHO SOCIETY OF CANADA - DALEK BUILDING 101 and ANIME COSTUMING WORKSHOP all happen on Friday at 4:00 PM. I want to go to all three, but, I’m no Jamie Madrox (non-comic geek translation: I can’t split into multiple copies of myself and go to all three). Doctor Who is my current all-consuming addiction, so the choice is obvious. For you, you might be all about Steampunk, so that workshop is the obvious choice. Focus on the extreme glee of the one you go to, not the crushing disappointment of the others you’ll miss.

CHECK THE LISTINGS FOR RERUNS
    Sometimes the same panel gets a second showing. Using the same example, there’s another ANIME COSTUMING WORKSHOP at 6:00 PM on Friday. Saturday at 3:00 PM is STEAMPUNK COSTUMING PANEL… it may not be ray-guns & rocket packs, but its close enough for government work!

AN EMPTY BLADDER IS A HAPPY BLADDER.
    Just trust me on this. If you’re carrying around a bottle of water, or scoring free energy drinks, or even just hitting the lemonade stand (how great would a beer tent be? But I digress…), make time to use the loo. Look around you in any panel: by the midway point, you’ll see a lot of people crossing their legs for a reason. Know where the bathrooms are in relation to the meeting rooms because, if a panel is popular, you will not get back in once you leave!

I’m curious about what sort of prep work other people do. Also in terms of shopping! I don’t buy much anymore, so I don’t even bring a list. Those that do spend, please, share your knowledge in the comments!

Also, if you’ve got a smartphone, the FanExpo app is very helpful for setting reminders and having a quick-reference To Do list.

You can download the app now, but the schedule hasn’t been uploaded yet, so you won’t be able to set it up just yet.