Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Need some advice on New 52 titles...

I want to try out some more New 52 books. I am fine on being behind everyone else on the titles. I just want to start reading some. My budget is down to $20 a month at this point, so I'm pretty limited.

Right now the first issues of the original launch are only 99¢ on Comixology, so it's not that expensive to sample the titles. The problem is, a lot of books don't hit their stride for a while.

These are the books I'm interested in:

Batman
Batman & Robin
Earth 2
World's Finest
Flash
Aquaman
Nightwing
Batwing
All-Star Western
New Guardians
Animal Man
Demon Knights
Superboy (do I need to read this to follow Teen Titans?)
Teen Titans
Justice League
Red Hood
Captain Atom
Blue Beetle

I need to get this huge list down to 7-8 titles.

Thanks for any feedback! :)

Comments

• Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    I think everyone will agree (or most) on Batman.

I also liked: All Star Western, Demon Knight and Animal Man...

Justice League is also a good "cornerstone" book to keep up with, if you have a limited budget.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited June 2012
    This what I did for both Marvel and DC with the team books like Avengers and Justice League. Because I cannot possibly get the team book as well as each respective member's own title(s), I have stuck with the team book to help keep my comic costs down and still be able try out other titles. I don't like having to do it, but at least that way I get to see each character. It's an option, not one for everbody, but something to consider. Mileage may vary.
  • Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    I want to try out some more New 52 books. I am fine on being behind everyone else on the titles. I just want to start reading some. My budget is down to $20 a month at this point, so I'm pretty limited.

Right now the first issues of the original launch are only 99¢ on Comixology, so it's not that expensive to sample the titles. The problem is, a lot of books don't hit their stride for a while.

These are the books I'm interested in:

Batman
    Batman & Robin
    Earth 2
    World's Finest
    Flash
    Aquaman
    Nightwing
    Batwing
    All-Star Western
    New Guardians
    Animal Man
    Demon Knights
    Superboy (do I need to read this to follow Teen Titans?)
    Teen Titans
    Justice League
    Red Hood
    Captain Atom
    Blue Beetle

I need to get this huge list down to 7-8 titles.

Thanks for any feedback! :)
    The following are must reads: Batman, Justice Leauge
    Worth Reading: Aquaman, Earth 2, All Star Western
    The rest are pretty forgettable. I wanted to like Demon Knights but it just isnt that good. Superboy and Teen Titans start out well but go off the rails. Catp Atom sucked.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    This what I did for both Marvel and DC with the team books like Avengers and Justice League. Because I cannot possibly get the team book as well as each respective member's own title(s), I have stuck with the team book to help keep my comic costs down and still be able try out other titles. I don't like having to do it, but at least that way I get to see each character. It's an option, not one for everbody, but something to consider. Mileage may vary.
    I did the same thing with Avengers over at Marvel...
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    I was actually thinking of doing just this. Along with Batman, of course :)
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I read Teen Titans but don't read Superboy (except for his issue in the culling) and don't feel like I'm missing out on the story. Not sure how it would go the other way around though.

I've enjoyed Earth 2 and world's finest so far but hard to say at this point if they're going to be worth your budget just yet

and of course yes Batman
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    So of everything on your list, I can tell you about a few of these titles that I have read and enjoyed:
    Batman has been one of the best of the new 52 since issue 1. I have loved the creative team and the direction they have taken the character. Batman and Robin is another really good title. I love seeing the dynamic between Bruce and Damian and it's been a top notch series. Nightwing is another one of my favorites that has really added a lot of depth to the character of Dick Grayson and it's been a top of the stack read for me. Love that book. I have read a few issues of Aquaman and all I can say is that the creative team on that book has done for Aquaman what they had done for Green Lantern. In other words, fantastic things are in this book. I have heard nothing but great things about Batwing and the art alone is worth checking out. I read the first issue of All-Star Western and thought it was a decent read. As for Earth 2 and World's Finest, I read the first issue of both of them and found them to be intriguing. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Looking at your original list I would go with a top 7 of justice league, earth 2, flash, aquaman, batman, nightwing, animal man. In no particular order.
  • Options
    Actually upon reflection I think I would swap nightwing for batgirl. Gail simone does some really nice character work with everything she writes.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Not on your list, but I recommend Supergirl. They've done a really good job at showing just how much of a fish-out-of-water situation Kara has found herself in, being sent from her home planet like her cousin Kal but being old enough to know what's going on (even if she can't remember how or why she ended up on Earth) and suddenly finding she has all these powers.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    From the comics on your list, Animal Man, The Flash, and Batman are the best titles. I haven't read Demon Knights but heard a lot of good things about this title. Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest look to be good but its only 2 issues in. Justice League is also a good overall book to pick up. Superboy and Teen Titans tie in closely together but you don't have to get both to understand but it will help however both have been pretty bad and Superboy has a terrible artist.
  • Options
    VashVash Posts: 12
    When I need to cut back, as long as I have no character preferences, I tend to choose team books. I know some people like solo titles but if I am on a budget and want to keep up with the universe as a whole, I just feel that team books have more to offer.

Justice League, Teen Titans, and Earth-2 would be good team choices that offer up lots of characters to juggle.

Demon Knights is a really fun book and one of the first to be read from my pile. Yet,

Of course solo books are also important...

Batman is absolutely essential.

Animal Man is fantastic and will provide you with a different tone than the other books. I would also recommend Swamp Thing in this same vein.

Then with your remaining few books, choose one of the teams and grab the solo books. Flash, Aquaman for JL, or any of the Bat titles featuring your favorite character. That way you can supplement your team book and provide extra value.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! This have been REALLY helpful so far! I especially like the suggestion to stick to team books, and supplement that with a few solo titles.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Batman
    Demon Knights
    Batwing - I loved this and might pick it up in trade since I dropped off early.
    Flash - Art alone. I thought the story and new ability was super lame, the freaking art (watercolors) and layouts are ridiculous.
    Aquaman - I kinda liked this and if I cared about DC I would have kept up with it.
    Animal Man - I lost interest quickly but it was good in a different way for DC.
    Nothing else, buy Saga, Dancer, or something good instead.
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78

Aquaman has been a solid title since the reboot, I recommend that and the core Bat titles of Batman, Detective, Batman and Robin.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Aquaman has been a solid title since the reboot, I recommend that and the core Bat titles of Batman, Detective, Batman and Robin.
    Nah, if he's limiting himself to 7 titles having 3 titles featuring the same character seems like a Bit much.
  • Options
    VKMarionVKMarion Posts: 37
    Batman and Justice League, - can't recommend them enough, also Nightwing, Flash, Red Hood, and Aquaman. I have Really enjoyed all these books, great art and compelling stories.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I'm gonna tell you what I consider to be the three must-haves on your list, along with one that I'm also really enjoying, but not quite on that must-have level, and one that isn't on your list that I love.

Must-Haves:

Batman - I'm enjoying this Batman title more than any I've read in years. It is a solid, and (so far) standalone comic, which was a major reason I picked it up. I'm not interested in crossovers/events. My budget demands I not get saddled with buying a slew of titles for one story.

Animal Man - Hands down, my favorite book of the new 52. If you were familiar with this title at all in the late 80's, this is the perfect continuation of it. If you aren't familiar with that work, it is still an amazing and creepy book.

Demon Knights - Another great book. The only advisory I'd have for this one is that you might want to consider getting it in trade, because the story pacing is not fast. It reads better in chunks.

Enjoying:

New Guardians - If you are a fan of Kyle Rayner, this is a great book. If you are a fan of the multi-colored Corps', this is a great book. When I first heard about this book, I did expect it to be a weak title created just to satisfy Kyle Rayner fans. In truth, it is often the best of the GL titles each month. Warning, though - while the amount of bleed to and from the other GL titles has been very limited so far, I know that they are gearing up toward another large event that will probably saddle readers with picking up at least the other two GL titles. Not an issue for me, since I already am, but reason enough to be wary of the title for a limited budget.

Not On Your List:

Wonder Woman - Just an amazing take on the character, allowing her to flourish. Every month, this book runs a very close second to Animal Man in my enjoyment. The writing is great, the art is AMAZING, and pulling Diana out of the superhero realm and more into an updated mythological setting allows her to shine as something far more than "female Superman."

Oh, and you can skip Captain Atom. It is being cancelled.

Hope that helps!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Okay, I'm going to turn this thread on it's ear. Ignore my initial list. What's your top 8 of the entire New 52 lineup?
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Batman
    Batgirl
    Teen Titans
    Detective
    Earth 2
    World's Finest

Those are the ones I'm getting, and 2 more from what I would be getting if I didn't trim back

Action Comics
    Aquaman
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Here's my six, can't give you eight because one title I read is getting cancelled, and I have not been keeping up on what I read digitally.

Justice League
    Aquaman
    Batman
    Supergirl
    Earth 2
    World's Finest
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    ok Here is my top 8.

Animal Man
    The Flash
    Batman
    Action Comics
    Earth 2
    Worlds' Finest
    Justice League
    Nightwing
  • Options
    Ended up getting the first issues of Batwing, Swamp Thing, Batman & Robin, Demon Knights, Aquaman, GL: New Guardians, Flash, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Nightwing, Red Hood, and World's Finest. Total was $12.88. I already have Batman and Earth 2 locked in, and I bought a $7 trade of Animal Man a few months back that I still need to read.

I know some of these titles weren't highly recommended (Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, and New Guardians) but those are some of my favorite characters.
  • Options
    Animal man
    Aquaman
    Batman
    Batgirl
    Flash
    Earth 2
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Of the above list mentioned, just Batman, Batman & Robin & Justice League.

Matthew
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    My 8:

Animal Man
    Wonder Woman
    Batman
    Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
    Demon Knights
    Dial H (only one issue in, but I really think I'm gonna love this book)
    Green Lantern: New Guardians
    Green Lantern (At least as long as Sinestro maintains starring status)
  • Options
    Batman
    Batwing
    Red hood
    Catwoman
    Legion of super heroes
    Legion lost (but not so much now that defalco is writing)
    Night force
    Batman and robin
    Supergirl
  • Options
    No wonder no one listens to me. My taste is so far different than the majority here. Lol
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29
    No wonder no one listens to me. My taste is so far different than the majority here. Lol
    No worries. You've got both Legion and Red Hood on your list, so clearly, you've got taste.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Well, I've got your back on Supergirl if nothing else.