Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: The Metal Men

Barry Sonnenfeld Attached to The Metal Men Film

(Vulture) "Men in Black" director Barry Sonnenfeld has been looking to adapt another comic book property for the big screen and it turns out he's going way back for the picture.

According to Vulture, he is attached to direct an adaptation of DC's The Metal Men. For those unaware, the series centers on Dr. William Magnus and the six cyborgs that he creates all from a different element - Gold, Tin, Iron, Lead, Mercury, and Platinum. The six robots each have powers corresponing to their namesake too.

No word on a screenwriter or any other details, but keep an eye open here for more info.

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    This could be really cool and fun if it's done in a way that the Metal Men retain their 1960s naive designs, rather than ultra-modern reconceptions.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    nooooo!!! not before I buy my Showcase 37!!!

damn it. been working on that run for years.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    I wonder if it will tie in with the DC universe they are building for the Justice League movie. I do hope they keep the retro designs or as close as possible to the 60's.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Maybe we should NOT say we want a 60's design and Hollywood will give it to us.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Patrick Warburton as Will Magnus! MAKE IT SO!
  • Options
    Anyone else think this would be best as a CGI film a la Dreamworks/Pixar?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Anyone else think this would be best as a CGI film a la Dreamworks/Pixar?
    If it were a CGI film I would go with Blur, they did an animated short called Gentleman's Duel, this would be right up their alley.
  • Options
    So here's a key question: are the Metal Men of the Silver Screen going to be robots, whole robots, and nothing but robots, or will the movie embrace the '90s retcon that established the Metal Men as human minds/souls trapped in robot shells? Hate to say it, but that's the kind of idea that Hollywood screenwriters tend to find appealing.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    human minds/souls trapped in robot shells?
    I think Hollywood is holding onto that concept for the ROM movie.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    So here's a key question: are the Metal Men of the Silver Screen going to be robots, whole robots, and nothing but robots, or will the movie embrace the '90s retcon that established the Metal Men as human minds/souls trapped in robot shells? Hate to say it, but that's the kind of idea that Hollywood screenwriters tend to find appealing.
    h

Ugh...I had almost forgotten about that horrible idea. The worst part is, you're right. There is a good chance that is what we would get if it's a live action movie. If its a Pixar type move we stand a better shot of getting something good.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Warner Bros suit: "You know if we make them human looking, we can get some name stars for the roles".
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Warner Bros suit: "You know if we make them human looking, we can get some name stars for the roles".
    One of them could be voiced by Chris Rock!!

• Options
    :-&
  • Options
    Seriously, though:

Get Shorty
    Both Addams Family films
    All three Men In Black films
    The Tick pilot
    Big Trouble

Sonnenfeld is a good choice.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Or Chris Tucker.
  • Options

Or Chris Tucker.
    Or ... Tim Allen, Steve Martin, Gerard Butler, Susan Eisenberg
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Warburton would be awesome as Magnus, but I don't know if he's got the star-power to carry a movie (he does in MY book, but I'm like Batman..."He's JUST ONE MAN!" :) )

As long as they play up the major things that have carried the group over the years - Platinum carrying the torch for Mags, for example - it'll be a fun movie.

Really I just want to see Warburton smoke a pipe. :)

• Options
    Warburton would be awesome as Magnus, but I don't know if he's got the star-power to carry a movie (he does in MY book, but I'm like Batman..."He's JUST ONE MAN!" :) )

As long as they play up the major things that have carried the group over the years - Platinum carrying the torch for Mags, for example - it'll be a fun movie.

He & Sonnenfeld have worked together before, both on The Tick and Big Trouble.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Or Chris Tucker.
    Or ... Tim Allen, Steve Martin, Gerard Butler, Susan Eisenberg
    Don't forget Robin Freakin Williams. It wouldn't be a proper voice-over stink-fest without him.
  • Options

He & Sonnenfeld have worked together before, both on The Tick and Big Trouble.
    Perhaps my favorite episode of The Tick
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tii-uUhhmz0
  • Options
    GadaboutGadabout Posts: 16
    Sons of Anarchy will never be the same for me again...