Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman verses Spider-Man

There is a lot of competition between the Dark Knight and your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man right now with their respective movies coming out soon and so close together. So to up the competition a little who do you think would win in a fight?
The Rules are as follows:
1. You do not talk about fight club! Joking I actually do want you guys to talk.
2. They are fighting at their current level of experience.
3. The fight takes as long as needed (say as long as a story arc)
4. No help from anyone else such as allies, sidekicks, ect.
5. They never met before and have no knowledge of each other.
6. Throw away all personal bias and explain your choice.

If you guys like this maybe we could do a weekly fight club or something.

Batman verses Spider-Man 37 votes

Batman
56%
David_DTorchsongJohn_Steedjaydee74KyleMoyerwrecking_crewJohnathanConstantineLibraryBoyctowner1davefaustBlackUmbrellaMattEtriganBloodDesertHermitEarthGBillyfxmatttommysheroesJDickJamieDdavidtobin100 21 votes
Spider-Man
43%
fredzillaBadDeaconWebheadelectric_mayhemWetRatsKrescanmatchkitJOHNGregDoctorDoomsteve_bryantCaptainCarrotDennisCuzinskiBetaRayBenQuinQuestionTheMarvelManTheZolo 16 votes

Comments

• Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    Spider-Man
    So here is my reasoning.
    Spider-Man: Much more intelligent and has his own cache of gadgets as seen in Ends of the Earth. He is stronger, faster, super reflexes, and has spider sense (thats the game changer for me).
    Batman: Better gadgets and vehicles. More fighting experience. Better detective/street smarts.

When it comes down to it I believe Batman is smart enough to last then escape his first encounter, analyze Spider-Man and counter attack before he is ready but he would not account for his spider sense. Batman relies heavily upon the element of surprise so Spider-Man wins for me but not by much.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Batman
    Though I am a Spidey fan, I gotta go with Batman.

I would argue that the idea of Spider-Man being "Much more intelligent" is faulty. Much more scientifically knowledgable, I could go with, but I don't think the intelligence levels are a major gap.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that Peter Parker is generally more intellegent, but if Spidey is a 10 on that scale, I'm going to say that Batman is a solid 8, maybe an 8.5.

The difference is that Bruce Wayne has taken the Sherlock Holmes view with what he has learned, choosing to focus on the knowledge that is pertinent to his mission, and generally disregarding the rest. That focus gives Batman a laser-like precision in his thoughts and actions that gives him the edge.

Spider-Man is stronger, faster, has super reflexes... which isn't a huge factor in this fight. Batman regularly battles above his weight class in each of these areas, against folks that aren't just trying to stop him, but kill him... and wins.

Spider-sense... we'll get to that.

Batman has trained himself to the pinnacle of human perfection. He spent years mastering various fighting styles and weapons, and has regularly used those skills to take down much more powerful opponents.

Batman has trained his mind to be, arguably, the world's greatest detective. His powers of observation, analyzation, and tactical planning are what will eventually overcome the Spider-sense.

In their first meeting, Spidey will put a hurt on Batman, but Batman will realize he is in unfamiliar waters and will make the decision for a tactical retreat.

Batman will then replay the entire fight, over and over in his mind. He will retrieve any footage of the fight - be it ATM cameras, security cameras, cell phone footage posted to YouTube, whatever - and analyze every movement.

Then he'll see it.

He'll see how, somehow, Spidey is able to anticipate and dodge the majority of Batman's moves. Batman will also note, from Spidey's obvious lack of trained fighting skills, that this is not because of a knowledge of the various martial arts Batman uses, but something else. A sixth sense, a telepathic or psychic ability... and a low-level one, at that, since it appears to only *just* alert Spider-Man at the last moment.

When the two meet next, Batman is ready. After all, this is the man that managed to create ways to take down every member of the Justice League, in case he ever had to.

In this battle, Batman chooses the path of simultaneous, multi-directional attack. He manages to lure Spidey into an area that he has prepared. Suddenly, Spidey is not just dealing with the kicks and punches and batarangs of a single man, but also the various "traps" Batman has in place - flash-bangs from various directions, sonic emitters designed to mess with equilibrium, tazers, projectiles, etc., etc., etc.

Spider-sense is rendered not just moot, but a liability as it goes nuts, warning of danger from every side, distracting Spidey from being able to think through his actions.

Spidey cannot dodge everything. He begins taking hits, wearing down, until, finally, Batman stands victorious.

A single, one time meet up, Spidey will win, but won't take Batman down. A story arc? Batman will come out on top.
  • Options
    yeetiboyyeetiboy Posts: 1
    Batman
    the game changer for me was when i read that each character is at their current experience level.

As cool and tooled up with super powers as spider man is, he has sort of gone slowly more crazy as time goes by, the various moral dilemmas he has had to face in the course of his development. Whereas Batman, is currently running at Badass level. If he was still being played by Val Kilmer, poncing around with Robin, then yeah, i would have voted Spiderman hands down... But we are now in the age of Christian Bale, and the Bat has never been so Badass... (or sounded so stupid when he has his mask on, seriously, i love the new Batman, but he just sounds like he has the worst cold... Fighting crime, with a runny nose)

http://gb.yeeti.com/2902
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    The initial meeting goes badly for Bats. He's tried all his usual tricks, batarangs, smoke pellets, sonics, martial arts etc. but some how Spider man avoids or 'senses' his attacks. We then assume Bats runs off to lick his wounds and plan (as he does), Spidey has had so much experience with this type of 'now you see me now you don't' character that he'll have dropped a tracer on him, Bats notices* it but unfortunately not soon enough, Spiderman catches up with him before he has the time to formulate one of his (I can take down anyone with enough planning) strategies.

Brief battle ensues but Bats ends up hanging from a lamppost with a note saying 'your friendly neighbourhood webslinger'

Fighting wise Bats is by far the best trained and in a fair fight wins but lets not forget Spiderman has had a few years of super heroing under his belt, has his recent Spider Foo that Bats has no experience of ever, spider sense, enhanced reflexes and strength.

Magnetic webbing takes down Bats electronics.

Spidey has plenty of experience dodging bat shaped projectiles, gas projectiles, fighting in smoke and the dark etc.

*I am assuming Bats doesn't have some sort tracer blocking field built into his Bat Suit but knowing Bats it's possible.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    EarthGBilly. I like the way you think.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Batman
    I actually thought this was going to be about the movies, which I think is a very hard poll to vote.

Truthfully, I don't even thing it would take 2 fights for Batman to beat Spider-man (and I like both.) We've seen on several occasions where during the battle he is assessing the situation and planning accordingly. A part of the Under the Red Hood storyline, he's fighting an Amazo and assessing how old a model it is with what adapted superpowers. Than, he was buying enough time for "backup" to blow Amazo up.

Sure Spidey has his spider-sense, but that doesn't mean it cannot be trick. Iron Man was able to do so, and I'd say Batman is at least on par with Tony.

I think Spider-man can the abilities, but Batman is a quick learn (it's what he does.) It's like a really big sports fan doing battle with someone who works for a sports team and is a fanatic about the sport.

M
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Spider-Man
    I would've gone with Batman but the rules that they have never met before threw off the Batman always has a contingency plan for everyone he knows.

@EarthGBilly said "Spidey's obvious lack of trained fighting skills" that doesn't hold up anymore though with the current level of experience since he was trained by Shang Chi, Peter is now a master of spider-fu or something like that.

I guess what it really boils down to is what suite does spider-man wear to the party, something that can block out sonic stuff and things that could disorient him would be a major advantage.
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man defeated Firelord in a one-on-one battle. He does not succumb and will not lose. The only one I'd take to beat him would be Captain America
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited June 2012
    Spider-Man
    I will follow rules Nos 1-5 but I can't follow No. 6 Spidey for the win. I can say that Dark Knight Rises wins the box office over ASM.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Spider-Man
    We're not talking about the same old Spider-Man anymore.

He's got gadgets now on par with Bats. He uses a wider variety of webbing. He has more than just his everday red and blue longjohns to choose from. He is now a martial artist. He too like Batman now makes contingency plans for his advesaries. Let's not forget that Spidey has historically had an extreme amount of dumb luck and even Batman cannot be at his very, very best every minute of every day.
  • Options
    Batman
    Batman beat Superman. Superman could absolutely beat Spider-Man. Therefore, Batman beats Spider-Man.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    come on we're talking about Peter parker, he always ends up losing in one way or another!?!?!

Even if he beats Batman he either...

-ends up late for Aunt Mae's birthday party
    -misses his date with Mary Jane
    -forgets to take pictures so JJJ is mad at him and threatens to fire him (again)
    -gets caught without his streetclothes so he has to run home in his underoos
    -runs out of webfluid across town and has to try and hail a taxi in costume....

no mater what PETER LOSES...

no matter the outcome of the fight Bruce Wayne is still a millionaire playboy with a mansion full of fun toys and a butler. BATMAN WINS.
    Love this!
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Batman
    Batman
    I think he's the more experienced fighter, has a bunch of gadgets at his disposal in this fight that would work well against Spidey. I understand that Spidey is stronger and a bit faster but Batman is used to fighting people stronger and faster than him and has always come out on top. The key here is strategy and Batman is better able to come up with strategy on the fly quicker than Spider-Man can. Then it also comes down to the fact that Batman is willing to fight dirty to win. I like Spidey but I see Batman as the winner in this one.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Spider-Man almost lost to Big Wheel
  • Options
    Batman
    Wait. You mean to say Spider-Man almost lost to this:
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    If batman can take down supes,spideys no chance,now if he brings the avengers.....
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    Batman beat Superman. Superman could absolutely beat Spider-Man. Therefore, Batman beats Spider-Man.
    When it comes to fighting, previous match ups are never good indicators. Plus Batman has lost to Superman in the past as well but I can see your reasoning.
  • Options
    Batman
    I know that Spidey has recently undertaken some martial arts training and along with his Spider-Sense, could make him a pretty powerful opponent, I still don't see him overtaking all the years of training that Bruce went through to become Batman.
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    I just got back into reading Spider-Man and jumped on at Ends of the Earth. If I havent read that story I would have voted for Batman. Spider-Man thinks much more tactically then he used to. He wears the suit he needs to based on the situation. He has magnetic webbing, ice pellets, and sonic weapons. He also has just as much experience fighting villains as Batman does (Not as much training though). I get that Batman could deduce that Spider-Man has his spider-sense but he still cant negate it. Mentally he could but every weapon or trap would still set up the alarm for Spider-Man. Spider-Man still wins but not by much. Although some good points for Batman almost had me jump ships.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Batman
    When it comes to fighting, previous match ups are never good indicators. Plus Batman has lost to Superman in the past as well but I can see your reasoning.
    Wasn't that only when Supes thought he was fighting someone else much stronger? Supes normally loses to Batman because he fights fair and Batman uses your weaknesses AND strengths against you.

I see your Spidey vote, but no reasoning.

M.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Batman
    I just got back into reading Spider-Man and jumped on at Ends of the Earth. If I havent read that story I would have voted for Batman. Spider-Man thinks much more tactically then he used to. He wears the suit he needs to based on the situation. He has magnetic webbing, ice pellets, and sonic weapons. He also has just as much experience fighting villains as Batman does (Not as much training though). I get that Batman could deduce that Spider-Man has his spider-sense but he still cant negate it. Mentally he could but every weapon or trap would still set up the alarm for Spider-Man. Spider-Man still wins but not by much. Although some good points for Batman almost had me jump ships.
    So Spidey has gone the Batman route?! I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Batman finding a way to negate the Spider-Sense. It's been done by people in the past (Osborne, Hobgoblin, Tony Stark). Plus, Batman would not necessarily have to negate it. I recall one of my favorite Batman/Superman fights, Batman used Supes' enhanced senses against him. Don't think Batman cannot find a way to turn one of Spider-man's strength against him...or even create confusion as to the validity of each buzz occurring in ol' Spidey's noggin.
    Spider-Man defeated Firelord in a one-on-one battle. He does not succumb and will not lose. The only one I'd take to beat him would be Captain America
    If you're going to say Cap could take down Spidey, than I'd argue Batman definitely could. Not because Batman bested Cap, but save for the enhanced abilities Cap has, Bats and Cap are basically the same type of character. Again, the big difference being is Batman is a dirty fighter.

You're going to say that Spidey would win because he would stop (which he's proven several times), Batman is the same type of character (this isn't Die Fledermaus.) Doesn't that define a hero?!

M

Now if we're talking Batman verses Snake-Eyes, Wolverine, or Thor (to name a few) I'd say the Dark Knight adds some losses to his stats. I still argue Batman could not have taken down the Hulk in the old Marvel/DC crossover.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited June 2012
    Spider-Man
    Rule #3 confuses me.

Are you talking a fight, or a campaign?

If it's just a fight, then Spider-Man wins. These are two characters who will not give up, but Spider-Man has super powers, and Batman's just a really fit guy. Spider-Man will outlast him. There's no spider-kryptonite for Batman to pull out of his utility belt to level the playing field.

If it's a campaign, Spider-Man has no chance. Batman's near limitless resources give him the edge. Worse comes to worst, he'll ferret out the Peter Parker identity and hit him where he lives: buy the Daily Bugle, divert Aunt May's Social Security, confront him with the deal he made with Mephisto... whatever it takes. If he believes he must win, Batman is an unstoppable force.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    here's the real question...

Alfred or Aunt Mae?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Spider-Man
    @WetRats - That is all true but you cannot even use all those old school Spidey "weaknesses" anymore. Sure Bats can get his identity, but Peter hasn't worked for the Bugle for a long time. Bruce could try to buy out Horizon however I don't see Max selling out or even merging with a competitor like Wayne Enterprises. Aunt May is not reliant on social security. I'm sure there is something out there that Bruce can use to get into Pete's head such as the deal with Mephisto and Gwen's death, but you can't use all of the old staples anymore.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited June 2012
    Spider-Man
    @WetRats - That is all true but you cannot even use all those old school Spidey "weaknesses" anymore. Sure Bats can get his identity, but Peter hasn't worked for the Bugle for a long time. Bruce could try to buy out Horizon however I don't see Max selling out or even merging with a competitor like Wayne Enterprises. Aunt May is not reliant on social security. I'm sure there is something out there that Bruce can use to get into Pete's head such as the deal with Mephisto and Gwen's death, but you can't use all of the old staples anymore.
    Sorry. I haven't read Spider-Man since One More Day. (OK, actually since The Other, but BND assured I'd stay gone.

Still, whatever real-world handles Peter Parker has, Batman would grab them and twist as hard as was necessary.
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    Still, whatever real-world handles Peter Parker has, Batman would grab them and twist as hard as was necessary.
    And I agree with that. Batman is capable of fighting this fight on more levels than just fists, gadgets and brain power. Batman is willing to take the fight in a direction that Spider-Man wouldn't.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Spider-Man
    here's the real question...

Alfred or Aunt Mae?
    Alfred takes the lead in that one, May pulls off some golden girl charm on him and it ends in them trading dutch apple pie or chicken soup recipes.
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    So Spidey has gone the Batman route?! I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Batman finding a way to negate the Spider-Sense. It's been done by people in the past (Osborne, Hobgoblin, Tony Stark). Plus, Batman would not necessarily have to negate it. I recall one of my favorite Batman/Superman fights, Batman used Supes' enhanced senses against him. Don't think Batman cannot find a way to turn one of Spider-man's strength against him...or even create confusion as to the validity of each buzz occurring in ol' Spidey's noggin.

If you're going to say Cap could take down Spidey, than I'd argue Batman definitely could. Not because Batman bested Cap, but save for the enhanced abilities Cap has, Bats and Cap are basically the same type of character. Again, the big difference being is Batman is a dirty fighter.

You're going to say that Spidey would win because he would stop (which he's proven several times), Batman is the same type of character (this isn't Die Fledermaus.) Doesn't that define a hero?!

M

Now if we're talking Batman verses Snake-Eyes, Wolverine, or Thor (to name a few) I'd say the Dark Knight adds some losses to his stats. I still argue Batman could not have taken down the Hulk in the old Marvel/DC crossover.
    I never said Cap could take down Spider-Man. You are mixing what I'm saying with other posts. Also if you ever decide to watch a boxing then you would understand my point about past match ups not being good indicators because a counter puncher might fight better against a boxer that beat a boxer that had previously bested him. I never said Batman couldn't beat Spider-Man. I just said Spider-Man would win their first meeting/story arc. You are also creating a lot of circumstantial situations that would favor batman. I'm weighing out each heroes strengths and weaknesses and seeing how it plays out so don't attack my reasoning when I didn't attack yours. You also forget that Spider-Man is used to dirty fighters and he would also do whatever it takes to win. And I never said "Spidey would win because he would stop". I don't understand what you are trying to say there. Batman has also been bested in the past to. People tend to forget that.
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    Rule #3 confuses me.

Are you talking a fight, or a campaign?
    Its a fight until the opponent is beat however long it takes. I probably should have included an option for a draw.