Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Superman Vs The Elite Movie and Comic (Action Comics #775)

Just finished watching "Superman Vs the Elite" and really liked it. A lot of reviews I saw complained about the animation and Supes' Leno-esque chin. I quite liked the animation. As for the story, it was what I remember of the comic (and that's actually not much. I'm planning on re-reading it here soon). The issue here is, "should heroes kill?" Does the end justify the means? Is Superman and his ideals antiquated nonsense?

So what did you think? Have you read the comic? How did the movie compare?

Comments

• Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    I unfortunately have not read the comic but I do plan to after watching this. I should mention before I start the rest that I am a huge fan of Superman so my feeling are probably biased. I liked the animation style and even the character designs except for Superman. It did not take away from the story for me but I found it worth mentioning. I loved the opening with the Fleischer animation and punk rock vibe. This is the most adult DC animated film yet in my opinion. It had good pacing, tone, and voice acting however it did feel a little short to me.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    Oh and to answer your question I don't think Superman should kill. He is not a soldier, he is a hero. To start killing is a dangerous path to take. The argument that killing would cause less repercussions is invalid because in the course of mankind killing is usually the cause for conflict thus more killing. Also killing would be bad for his P.R. lol
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I was pleasently surprised by this movie. Muc better than I wouldve expected. One of the better releases. Very well written and performed. The animation was decent but the character designs were all over the place and Superman looked goofy. His cartoony design distracted from the seriousness of the material. I know I read the original comic but cant remember one bit of it but I liked this movie alot!

On the topic of Heros killing, I have no problem with it so long as the circumstances are right and its justified. Murder no. Use lethal force when Nec. ok. Superman is kindve the exception... he should not kill (as a charecter/icon/symbol) but I can imagine circumstances where it would be acceptable for even him. For example, in the real world Atomic Skull would have proven himself too dangerous to live and I wouldve considered Superman a hero had he killed him. I suspect most reasonable people would agree. However; Superman frying a fleeing purse snatcher or the Elite slaughtering a stuborn politician is not honorable, heroic or justifiable. There is a huge, distinct and obvious difference between the methods and motives of the Elite and those of Superman.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Just saw the animated movie last week and really dug it. Ost of the beats were rhere. The confrontation with black at the end felt right. The tobe and pacing of the movie was great. I would take this sort of thing as the next live action movie in a heartbeat. I dont need kevin spacy playing gene hackman playing lex luthor, i dont need general zod. I Am sick to death of the Donner/Reeves tributes it has been over 30 years lets move on.

Superman, IMO, HAS to be the big blue boy scout because if he isn't that character gets really scary, really fast. See Mark Waid's Irrdeemable, or JMS'S Supereme Power, or Omni Man in Kirkman's Invincible etc. etc. etc. there are a lot of corrupt superman analogs out there. This was actually part of my beef with Superman Returns, you have Supes as a deadbeat dad, peeping Tom spying on a family while hovering outside their house. That is some creepy dark side of the force shit!

I'm ranting aren't I? Sorry.
  • Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    How awesome were those opening credits!? If nothing else it was worth watching for that.
  • Options
    VKMarionVKMarion Posts: 37
    Story was awesome! I am not a huge fan of the character design for Superman, looked a little bit kiddie/goofy, wish they designed him to match the Lee Bermejo look from the comic, which was a bit more angular, and tough looking. Overall, solid movie though.
  • Options
    VKMarionVKMarion Posts: 37
    How awesome were those opening credits!? If nothing else it was worth watching for that.
    ...and yeah, best credit opening song in any of these movies!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Haven't read the story, but I saw this and loved it.

I stopped being distracted by the animation, and appreciated it, after five minutes.