Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Anyone using Apache OpenOffice?

Just got a new computer and I don't want to shell out gobs of cash for MS Office. Is there anyone on here using the free-for-all alternative, OpenOffice, that can give me some feedback on their experiences?

Best Answers

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Answer ✓
    Libreoffice (http://www.libreoffice.org/) is the community supported version now. Basically same as OpenOffice. It is usable in most general use cases, if you are an Excel power user then it won't be a suitable replacement... if you are just doing simple text docs and spreadsheets it will be fine.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I don't want to discourage you, it is free so download and try it, but I do deploy it in some corporate situations and rarely does it actually stack up well with certain deeper uses or they can be done but with a lot of time and effort and trial and error which usually offsets any savings.

I do recommend seeing if you have a friend/relative that is in college and can get a free student copy. If that is an issue due to personal preference/ethics then stick to Libreoffice or shell out for Office (or find an older copy for sale used).
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    It is OK, but there are great Open Source desktop publishing options out there. I'm sure you can do whatever you would need though with LibreOffice itself, it just might take some time and effort to figure out what works. Scribus is one (http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus). I use Inkscape every now and then even over Illustrator because I like some features.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Inkscape is a vector program and does some things well, not everything, Illustrator is still better but there are a few things I like how Inkscape does better. GIMP is the one people turn to for PS alternative but as much as I love Open Source software I think it is terrible. I have never been happy with it in any way. I see people do amazing work with it, and maybe I'm just too stuck in PS mode, but I can't use it. YMMV though.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Answer ✓
    I use OpenOffice(wasn't aware of other open source options) and really like it.

Answers